North africans and affirmative action

<p>Some of my black friends told me they knew they got into certain schools because they were black. Because they told me they knew they got in though a certain way... like getting e-mails basically saying your in.</p>

<p>anyways, all I know is that affirmative action helps minorities and women</p>

<p>for some STRANGE reason I am considered "white" -- which I strongly disagree because Obviously I am not. I am moroccan, and very dark tanned with course frizzy black hair. Yet the US considers "north africans" as white. </p>

<p>I want the best possible chance to get into college... but I don't know what to put down for race.</p>

<p>If I put "other", that still won't help me because I won't be recognized as the minority that I am. </p>

<p>So... should I put african american??</p>

<p>what about people who are mixed... what do they put?</p>

<p>I mean… I’m not black black, but I’m really tan and my parents are both from africa</p>

<p>soo what do I do?</p>

<p>“WHITE – A person having origins in any of the
original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the
Middle East.”</p>

<p>But I am a VISIBLE MINORITY.</p>

<p>is anyone else in this situation??</p>

<p>I think you found your answer.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I received my Harvard acceptance through an email. It must’ve been because I was black. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, then I suggest you get to knowing some more, perhaps through a google search or by reading a book, before you post something like that. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You can still put “other” if you prefer. Visually, most people identify me as African-American, yet I put “other” on my application and Haitian when asked for specifics. Proceed as you wish.</p>

<p>And I should hope that you’re not banking on the color of your skin to get you into some of the more selective institutions. Do your thing, make yourself and others around you proud, and don’t lowball. Please.</p>

<p>^ Agreed. Put other if you really don’t ‘feel’ white.</p>

<p>OP, what have you been putting down for the past 16-17 years or so, or is this the first time you’ve been asked for your race?</p>

<p>I put down many things</p>

<p>sometimes I put white
sometimes I put African american
sometimes I put other…</p>

<p>but those were for stupid surveys
now that race is for something important, I have no clue what to put.</p>

<p>I think my school has me down as “white” b/c my parents wrote that. But I disagree with them.</p>

<p>will colleges see that It says “white” on my school records and I write down african american?</p>

<p>Just put what you feel like you are and not what you think will give you an edge…</p>

<p>

Which college or admissions person EVER asked you for specifics? So you are saying you just put “other” on ALL of your college applications?</p>

<p>You see, the thing is…</p>

<p>I prefer to have an edge, and don’t mind knowing I only got into a school just because of my race.</p>

<p>Is that bad? For me, the ends justify the means. I’ll do what ever it takes to make it to where I want to go. </p>

<p>I’d rather get in with the edge, then get denied and stuck at a second choice.</p>

<p>^^^
At least you are being honest with yourself. The same cannot be true for all those that have benefited from voluntarily listing their race on a college application.
Good luck with whatever you choose!</p>

<p>"I’ll do what ever it takes to make it to where I want to go. "</p>

<p>Good luck living by a prostitute’s motto.</p>

<p>Dnerd: Ewwwwwww hahahaa
OK obviously there is a certain moral point that shouldn’t be crossed. I don’t see how putting “african american” is crossing that line, because its the truth. My parents all the generations of my family are african, and I am american. thats that. To deny my roots would be the real lie. </p>

<p>prostitution is SOO not even in the same category!</p>

<p>Some may be afraid of the competition… but basically i’m saying I’ll fight for what achievement my goals</p>

<p>well, anywho I already decided on putting “other”
regardless of what I want for myself, what ever happens happens. And if it wasn’t meant to be… WAIT WHAT AM I SAYING
I’m talking like a failure </p>

<p>ITS GONNNA HAPPEN NO MATTER HOW HARD I HAVE TO WORK FOR IT.</p>

<p>Wow Dnerd! That was hillarious. I didn’t even see that coming! I am still laughing. :D</p>

<p>I know! I was rolling on the floor laughing. LITERALLY rofling… ha</p>

<p>lol I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that literally. It was meant as more of a joke than anything else.</p>

<p>I have been on a hiatus from this site, due to my impending examinations (and, by extension, de facto failures), but this thread has compelled me to return.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>First of all, I have been asked by every interviewer that I have had what my ethnic/racial background was. If your experience differed, then that is quite interesting but non-germane to my post, which simply indicated that the OP should put “other” and elaborate on his/her background where available. And on the CommonApp, OP could always put Black or African American –>Africa; it’s an option available I suggest he/she avail herself of.</p>

<p>With regards to putting “other” on all my applications, I only did so for the institutions I applied to that did not have an option available for my land of origin in the Caribbean. </p>

<p>Hopefully, this satisfactorily clears up any objections you may have had. And if not, please feel free to throw me a pm so that we do not clutter OP’s thread with wholly unnecessary–and petty–bickering.</p>

<p>Edit: I see that chatter has already begun above. Feel free to hijack, then. :)</p>

<p>@ksarmand: So would Black or African American –> Africa be appropriate for someone of North African parents (but not black)? If so, why is it more appropriate than the other options?</p>

<p>Race is so weird.</p>