North africans and affirmative action

<p>Who cares? It’s the bottom line that counts. Special cases are that — special.</p>

<p>Which is exactly why I contend that the ability to trace one’s ancestry to American slavery is and should be irrelevant.</p>

<p>Africans have immigrating to the US since the 1870s. They’ve lived here for generations, mixed with descendants of slaves, etc. To say that they are not African-Americans is insensitive to say the least.</p>

<p>Hardly. It’s insensitive to argue that they should benefit from affirmative action when there were never any barriers to their academic success in the first place. Affirmative action for immigrated african americans goes against the entire spirit of the program.</p>

<p>Plain and simple.</p>

<p>Yes, there were barriers to their education. An African living in either the US or Africa would not have gained admission into any non-HBCUs in the early-mid 1900s. Same for a Carribean immigrant.</p>

<p>AA also is applied to white women, Hispanics, Native Americans and homosexuals.</p>

<p>Whatever the original purpose, the definition has expanded.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That was true for almost everyone.</p>

<p>Wait, what?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Right. Conceptually, the term “black” comes from the various N</p>

<p>What exactly is the crime committed by the United States to which you are referring?</p>

<p>Most North Africans I know consider themselves to be more Caucasian people of color more than black and the Egyptians don’t consider themselves to be African at all and consider it an insult to to referred to as such.</p>

<p>I go to Africa soon. I will meet up with some descendants of the Asante people. The very same people who dominated the western region of Africa and went from selling gold and goods to the Portuguese and English to seeking greater profit in selling slaves. Their people sold the majority of the Africans to the Europeans that now live in the Western Hemisphere. I don’t know whether to call them brother or not.</p>

<p>The Europeans were imperialists. The US broke that hold on the world while still a colony.</p>

<p>Now China and Saudis are making slaves of Africans by the millions. Who will break that grip?</p>

<p>
[quote=What exactly is the crime committed by the United States to which you are referring?
[/quote]
</p>

<p>Imperialism and neo-colonialism.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Caucasian people of color? That’s a contradiction in terms. Most Egyptians don’t look white. Perhaps you’re referring to colorism? As for Egyptians not considering themselves to be African, there are plenty of reasons for that, and many are of mixed heritage (and there is a strain of anti-blackness that is alive and well).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What? This flies in the face of reality. The Caribbean (especially forced labor in Panama and Cuba). Occupation of Haiti. Puerto Rico. The Philippines. Nicaragua. Costa Rica. Vietnam. Korea. The list goes on and on.</p>

<p>It’s an accepted fact that the US was imperialist. And what hold did they break? How many more countries continued to be colonies? How many revolutions in the surrounding countries did the US lend genuine support to? </p>

<p>Europeans were colonialist and imperialist. The US missed the opportunity to make massive land grabs in the same fashion as Europeans (although much of the SW could be called a land grab), that’s all.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, this isn’t just occurring in the resource-rich countries of Africa. It is happening wherever there are valuable things in the ground in the global South.</p>

<p>Actually, we’re getting kind of off-track from the rest of this thread. Pm me if you want to discuss further.</p>