Northeast peeps - driving south on I-81?

<p>So all my route planners and maps have suggested I-81 as our main route from PA to TN. However, I just read an article online about how scary that stretch of road is, with tons of aggressive truckers, etc. Anyone have any experience driving that route? Thoughts?</p>

<p>I’m not really sure how else we would go anyway, especially since we are stopping for the night in Kingsport TN which is off I-81. Just thought I’d see if anyone had any advice.</p>

<p>Although it has been a few years, I’ve made that trip several times. At least twice with a loaded car pulling a u-haul.</p>

<p>I did not have any unusual problems. I found the Knoxville area drivers to be really fast, but not terribly aggressive. (For a while back in the day, it was lawless-fast. Last time through there were more troopers keeping an eye on things.)</p>

<p>The only trucker issues I had was trying to climb over the hills in TN and VA. Again, not too bad as long as I stayed in the right lane with my little SUV pulling a little trailer. Cars and empty trucks were fast, full trucks (and overloaded SUVs like mine) were straining to top the hills at a reasonable speed. It can be sporty, but not Mad Max scary. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I have done the drive (from further NE) many times (two drivers) and yes, people drive fast but truckers generally drive faster. However, that being said, most truckers seemed to be good drivers. They usually signal and stay in one lane for a long, long time, making it easy to pass them if you want. They will usually move left when they want to speed up, so if you are uncomfortable, stay in the right lane. Be aware that if you are going too slow, you will get passed a lot (by everyone).
If you time your driving for mostly daylight hours you will probably feel more comfortable on the road.
I would suggest that you build some travel “cushion time” into your driving plans in case there is any bad weather. I have had to pull off the road due to a hurricane and driving rain. That is the only time I ever felt unsafe, barely off road and trucks still barreling by to make deadlines.
Traveling through Virginia, we once were engulfed in a severe fog storm, think London pea soup fog, and had to stop driving till the sun burned the fog off. Weather predictions can only go so far in alerting you to what is going to happen. So be prepared to get off road if necessary, and then if it happens, you can just get a few hours rest.
I always have a cooler with drinks and food items in case of an unscheduled “layover”. Don’t forget to periodically stop and get out of the car, take a short break, walk and stretch, even if you think you dont need to…this will keep you more alert and make the drive less stressful.</p>

<p>Have a good trip!!</p>

<p>Lisa6191,
I81 is the fastest most direct route from the Northeast. You also can’t go wrong traveling on an interstate route like that which will have tons of rest stops for gas, food, etc.</p>

<p>Assuming you’re then taking I-75 to Chattanooga and on to I-59 through Birmingham, the stretch between Knoxville and Chattanooga can have heavy traffic - it moves, there’s just a lot of it. Also, avoid Chattanooga around rush hour if you can. A portion of I-24 (which you’ll be on briefly) goes through an area called “the ridge cut” and there’s always an accident of some sort that slows or stalls traffic completely. After that, the route to I-59 moves pretty smoothly, and the drive to Tuscaloosa should be uneventful.</p>

<p>We have also done that drive–with u-haul trailer and in the outer rain bands of hurricane Irene! Although that particular time was slow going, for the most part it’s a pleasant and beautiful drive. My only gripe would be that it is only 2 lanes, so patience is key.</p>

<p>That is the route we take each time we travel from PA to T-Town, and the only problem we have had is getting behind a truck going uphill and we can’t switch lanes because a truck is there, too! Don’t really remember any aggressive driving…</p>

<p>Feeling jealous here. I last made that trip in May, and it was amazingly problem free. Both ways. I hope it will be so for you, as well. Respect the fog. It can be crazy dense in the mountains. Don’t stop to eat in West Virginia. My experience has been that the roads and restaurants just off 81 are jammed. Enjoy having DS all to yourself. Priceless!</p>

<p>Thanks all, I feel better now. :)</p>

<p>My in-laws live in Boone, NC, so I’ve driven down 81 and back from DC many times. It’s not stress-free, but usually not crazy. This is obvious, but it’s so much better in good weather. I’ve done the drive in pouring rain, and that is NOT stress-free. Also, be warned that everyone in my wife’s family has been ticketed for speeding between 66 and 75 at least once (they haven’t nabbed me…yet), so be careful.</p>

<p>We moved from New England to GA about 7 years ago and vastly prefer driving on I81 to I95. You avoid all major cities and therefore generally encounter little slow traffic. The route is more scenic and you also avoid tolls. We pick up I81 in Scranton PA and take it all the way south to I77, then jump on I20 west to our home in GA. You might have to adjust that route a bit for T-town. There are lots of truckers on the route, but I’ve never found them aggressive. They move along at nice steady speeds.</p>

<p>We take I-81 on our journey from TN to NJ. Aside from being boring & feeling that VA will never end (happens on I-95 too!) it’s a fine ride.</p>

<p>Oh, don’t get me started about driving in Virginia, it truly is the state that never ends :)</p>

<p>I can’t even imagine driving from NY to Bama. Unless there is a die hard emergency to do so we are flying. Lol. It’s a reasonably priced direct flight. Well so far reasonably priced.</p>

<p>^^^it is not so bad, I do recommend trying the trip, at least once. There are many interesting places to stop and if you make it a mini vacation, it can be quite pleasant. I like the return trips much better because then I can take my time and visit some unexplored places. I have tried off road BBQ joints, small mom & pop restaurants, visited a military citadel, stopped at museums, explored the Amish Country in PA, and stopped in VA to watch horse show competitions. If you drive, try the Shenandoah Valley scenic drive, “The Skyline Drive”.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom - any recommendations for things to see along the way? We are doing the drive in two days so we have some time. So far I’ve come up with Foamhenge. :)</p>

<p>Lisa6191: you’re driving from Philly right? I guess I can skip telling you about the Amish Dutch Country and Philly’s Reading Terminal Market. Of course, even if you have been there before, it is worth a little detour to pick up some local food products that your student might like. Apple Butter…yum, or what about a few delicious sandwiches from the terminal market for your lunch on the road…although, I could spend all day there.
Usually we plan to travel straight down with a minimum of meandering. We leave most of the side trips for the return…Seems like a shorter trip that way.</p>

<p>As you drive I81, you’ll see plenty of signs for tourist destinations, caverns and scenic places. Sometimes, just getting off the highway leads to an adventure.
Some ideas follow:
The Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia was a most enlightening stop. It is very historic and if you think students are polite at Bama, wait till you encounter some of the cadets there. It is a richly historic area.</p>

<p>I really enjoy Atlanta, and while there you can stop at IKEA for any last minute shopping. I like shopping at that particular IKEA, it is one of the largest stores and always well stocked. I have never been there but the “World of Coca-Cola” is supposed to be interesting.While going through Georgia stop at a roadside fruit stand for some delicious peaches.</p>

<p>If you need a rest stop, any of the Cracker Barrels are a good bet. I like the regional merchandise that they have in their gift shops. Don’t forget to pick up some of the old fashioned candy that they feature.</p>

<p>I will try to think of some more things to do. :)</p>

<p>

Hah! Ever driven Texas east-west? :)</p>

<p>Another stop would be Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, in the mountains just east of Knoxville. It’s a vacation area full of fun attractions.</p>

<p>I like the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg recommendation. It’s a city-sized celebration of shameless carnival fun. Bumper cars, go carts, arcades, bungee jumps, overpriced (but yummy) bbq. </p>

<p>My teenager was able to try a few big-boy adrenaline adventures (including indoor sky diving, which was pricy but great fun). And he was able to enjoy several little-kid things like arcade games and go carts.</p>

<p>Perfect place to please all the multiple personalities that reside within DS.</p>

<p>It’s not a place to save money, but it is fun.</p>

<p>We’re driving I-81 the opposite way to take daughter to school - SW VA → Upstate NY.</p>

<p>There is some blasting going on around Blacksburg VA - I think it has slowed down and is mostly at night. Check VDOT to make sure. The Shenandoah Valley is very beautiful.</p>