Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

You have to look in the portal under Scotland to see availability.

Georgia tech very hard to get into especially out of state and engineering

1 Like

I’m always amazed when I see people post certain schools as their safeties. Maybe I’m old fashioned but I wouldn’t consider a school a safety unless the acceptance rates were in the 60+%. There are going to be top candidates that get rejected and although I know it hurts (my daughter didn’t get in to her #1 school last year) everyone will find their place. My daughter found her place at NU!

8 Likes

What general impressions did everyone here get from Drexel? I’d never heard of it until DD applied. We liked the campus very much but I’m curious if anyone knows any graduates, etc…

This confuses me - Northeastern does not have supplemental essays, especially the “Why Northeastern” type of essay that your comment relates to. (Am I wrong about that? This still seems to be the case.) So how can this be conveyed? I don’t think people are tailoring their personal statement essay to take the place of what would normally be a Why Us essay.

1 Like

bethlep, Last year during one of the NU info sessions, admission rep said something like: "Even though we do not have “Why us essay”, if you write one, we’ll gladly read it. My D did that. She said it was great to write since it had no words limit. :slight_smile: She was able cover as much as possible in it. She did get in EA without submitting test scores.
One thing I will note here though, our HS (small girls only) had NU (and many other schools) Admission rep visit the school (via video conference). Each of the students had a chance to introduce themself and ask many questions. I think this definitely helped as well.

5 Likes

Whoa - I had no idea this was an option. Thank you so much for sharing this!

1 Like

I know one Drexel grad who has had moderate success in her field (arts management) but is back living with her parents now-- which happened to a lot of young adults during the pandemic, so it may not be a reflection on her job situation, but I do wonder. She told us she loved the school and would be happy to talk about it with my senior. My DC did apply to Drexel EA and was accepted, but was offered less merit aid there (10K/year) than at Northeastern ($12.5K). We visited during a fall open house and we thought the Drexel campus was fine, but it didn’t excited DC as much as Northeastern did. With the relatively skimpy merit offer for a kid whose stats are well above those of their average accepted student, and a high tuition cost, it has fallen to the bottom of my DC’s list and they’ll likely withdraw their application in the next week or so. But overall it does seem like a good alternative for students interested in Northeastern, with a similar urban co-op vibe and a less competitive pool of applicants (for now, at least).

We too got under ten grand merit. It’s a high sticker price but she wasn’t accepted to NU. We are waiting for GW and BU but then her choices are Elon, Delaware, Loyola Chicago and College of Charleston which were all safeties for her. Tough year for a kid who’s on the borderline for the higher ranked schools.

2 Likes

As I recall (but it has been a few years now) the common app has an areas of uploading any other info… you can add something there, but I would not make it too long. Make it relevant.

My D had considered Drexel for architecture bc we have family in the area and it has an arch program and is coop… but then we found that at least for that program, many of its students are commuters or who take the classes etc as night classes while working, etc. That wasn’t the college experience she was looking for. She has loved NU and will be getting her Masters soon!
I am not sure if other programs are like that. My BIL graduated Drexel many moons ago and enjoyed it.

1 Like

You’re right. There are no supplemental essays required for NU. NU AO have probably concluded that not having supplemental essay draws more applications and $$$, AND they’re still able to sniff out the right students for NU without it. It’s working for them, and it’s one less thing for them to read.

IMO, the entire college app in its totality is not so much “Why I like your school” as much as “Why you will like me on your campus”, and this applies to all the schools you apply to. All the pieces - grades, test scores, location, income, HS profile, achievements & accolades, LOR, ECs (which reflect interests, passion, talent, inner compass, drive), and the personal statement which captures anything left out in the rest of the app, and the specific program within the college you apply to - ALL this gives NU and other schools a total picture of what makes the student tick, and if they’ll fit in. It seems like voodoo magic to me but schools seem to get it right more often than not.

TBH, unless the student has the privilege of doing campus tour and has intimate knowledge of the school, most of the 90K applicants from across the country and world will struggle to come up with a meaningful and original “Why NU” essay that differentiates them from others, and that negates the value of the essay.

The takeaway from my experience and time on CC is - the entire college app should be a cohesive and compelling narrative, as opposed to a massive “everything-salad” which makes your resume look like every other high-stats kid.

8 Likes

That seems so random.

Why?

It just seems to me that if she got into Cornell, I’d think she would get into the others. Regardless, I really appreciate your sentiment that it all works out.

1 Like

What I understood from this process is that everything does work out at the end of the day. The reason why my D was waitlisted/rejected (one university) is that somehow they knew she will not attend. :slight_smile: And that is exactly what happened. :slight_smile:

I think you are spot-on about this.

3 Likes

My son was accepted to the honors program college of science studying physics. He wants to be a nuclear physicist.

My daughter is in her 4th year at NU in the midst of her 2nd Coop - we could not be happier with NU - the coops are a game changer her real life experience is priceless. She graduating next year and going on to become a PA.

3 Likes

Read by Paul Tough - “The Years That Matter Most”, which is now titled “The Inequality Machine: How Colleges Divide Us”. There is a chapter that talks about quant consultant firms hired by universities that help universities figure out who they should offer admission to if they care about their yield. My child got waitlisted at Northeastern. Opted to apply as a safety school given reputation and location. Turned out to not be a safety given this year’s apps and competitiveness. Already have a spot at a top university and waiting to see what the remaining options are before deciding.

And Northeastern recently hired the master: