Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

The regular decision accotante rate is 7%.

2 Likes

Where’d you find that number?

1 Like

NU Bound and NUIN are different programs. NUBound is only in London and CA. NUIN has various locations. I think @JulieKM’s child is NUIN.

1 Like

Deferred then accepted to NU bound with a major in public health and the national recognition program scholarship ($15,000/year).

3.83 uw gpa
Test optional
8 APs, 8 honors, 2 DE, 1 class at a local state college
Strong ECs and essay

3 Likes

Sadly, the age requirement is a England requirement, not NU. You could talk to Admissions. There was one parent on here from EA round whose child was offered NUIN for CS, but the only place for NUIN CS is England. Their child was still going to be 17 and they were granted regular fall admission instead. In your case, your child does have a choice for NUBound in CA. Not ideal for you perhaps, but an option. But you can have your child ask if they are truly interested in NU and not planning to attend elsewhere.

1 Like

Yes that is correct - my daughter was accepted for NUin.

1 Like

I think that could have been a part of our issue. Our need is a lot with their $$$$.

Son was deferred EA and waitlisted RD. We’re in-state, he’s in the top 15% of his class with 7 APs and 1 dual enrollment, a few ECs, lots of community service and 2+ years of part-time work. It’s fine though, as he wants to go out of state and has several great options.

2 Likes

I emailed the admissions office this morning and they gave me that number so its official.

1 Like

Oh ok thanks

1 Like

My D last year was waitlisted at BU, BC and UMiami. Accepted to NU (RD) and Cornell (accepted RD after ED deferral). It will all work out at the end of the day.

7 Likes

My son did NUin Greece back in 2019. Had the best time of his life. Traveled to Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna… It was great! Congrats!

1 Like

Does anyone have any information on program eligibility for the NUin Scotland location? I can’t find anything. Is it full?

I am curious for my next kid how we can better demonstrate interest.

I’m NU law alum, are from CA, and we visited with my Senior in October 2020 when she was a Junior but when everything was shut down.

As an alum, we received an email that my daughter could submit additional information if interested. She wrote a supplemental expressing her interest, was deferred EA, and recently rejected. Were they looking for a second letter of interest after the deferral. She did inquire of admissions whether she could submit AP tests or a recent email from her teacher to her parents thanking us and making her year with our daughter in her class.

I know that they don’t consider legacy. I also am aware from this thread that her scores were in the ballpark of others accepted, rejected and waitlisted (1490 SAT, 4.75 WGPA, 3.97 UW, 14 AP’s).

Do you have any additional advise on how to show demonstrated interest? We are far away and couldn’t do another trip to visit this Fall.

Thanks!

1 Like

Taking the advice from this message board, my daughter sent an email about a week before EA results came back to demonstrate her interest. While she did not say Northeastern was her first choice, she did talk very specifically about why she loved the school (basically a why NU response) and talked about the major and minor she was interested in, tying her own background into it. She got in EA (starting on campus first semester) and I don’t know if the email made a difference because it was so close to results coming out but with so many kids applying and no essays to set them apart, I tend to feel like the email may have been a factor in her favor. It showed that she would likely go if she was accepted and that seems to be something they like to know.

7 Likes

Congratulations!! While you never no if it was the deciding factor (I am sure she was entirely deserving) you never no if it provided some level of differentiation in a crowded and qualified field. What you do know for sure is it certainly didn’t hurt😀

I suspect when drawing on a wait list it becomes even more important.

1 Like

My daughter had extra letters of rec written from work and a teacher and wrote to express interest of first choice several times, so I don’t know how much it weighs. Her stats weren’t that great for NU anyway, so we were not surprised.

Sorry about your kid.

I think you are missing my point. A students demonstrated interest will never compensate for an application that isn’t viewed as consistent with the schools benchmarks.

Only would it have an impact as a potential tie breaker amongst similarly qualified students or when selecting a kid off a wait list. Specific to the wait list, a student that commits to matriculate serves to fill in the class.

The fact that your kid wrote a letter and didn’t get in doesn’t unfortunately speak to the potential impact of the letter but instead reflects on the relative competitiveness of the application as a whole (as you seem to acknowledge).

I wish her luck with future results.

1 Like

I totally agree with that. My point is that it may weigh on , as in the case you stated, but it’s not enough of an impact that it live move the needle on an under qualified student, as in my case

2 Likes

That’s an interesting question. With NU getting more competitive, it’s hard to tell what works anymore. But I’ll try.

Stats and course rigor is obviously important. Being a NMF is nice. But you don’t have to be the valedictorian or have perfect scores; all you have to do is show that you’re smart, hardworking, and capable of handling challenging course work.

IMO, and I might be wrong, what matters is that the student is independent, self motivated, and mature. NU is different from traditional schools. Co-ops are baked into the program. Along with co-ops, kids also get international experiences through NUIn, NuBound, Global Quest, Dialog of Civilizations, and Summer Abroad programs. So they’re constantly in and out of campus and they seem to thrive in that constant change with aplomb. They’re comfortable with being uncomfortable in new situations and ready to take on the next challenge. They’re adulting sooner than traditional students, (with plenty of guidance, of course) because they have many choices to make that may be different from their friends’. Even the curriculum is flexible. There are so many Combined Majors that can be tailored to every kind of academic interest and career goal.

What does this mean to a prospective applicant? Is your student independent and confident enough to chart their own college experience? Would they avail the programs that NU offers? Some clues - have they traveled abroad (or around the country)? Or shown interest in other cultures? Are they worldly aware? Are they curious? Do they want to explore? Are they ok being city kids? Would they fit in NU? Or is their resume/goals a better fit for a traditional school experience?

Smart. Independent. Authentic. Curious. Explorer.

What NU does NOT need is a very heavily padded resume which is begging in red bold flashing letters to be admitted to an Ivy. NU is not interested in being their safety. They can see through the fluff. What they want is smart kids who’re, for the lack of a proper word, normal smart kids with a “standard strong” resume; kids who spent a very fulfilling 4 years in HS being genuine and authentic, doing things they truly love, and without being consumed by ivy-level resume crafting. Solid grades, taking courses aligned with career interests (and not necessarily every AP class, just to impress), and ECs that showcase who they are (and not necessarily join every club, or dabble in every activity to pad the resume),… and preferably being able to connect all that to NU majors/minors/Combined Major to highlight why NU is the right choice. Use the NU website and social media to learn more about their programs, opportunities, culture, clubs, sports.

In other words, a solid resume that qualifies to attend a T20-T75 school while still projecting NU as a true match school. If you look at the stats and comments on CC, you’ll see that 1) High stats are not everything 2) Low stats won’t cut it 3) Kids who didn’t care about NU and treated it as safety invariably got deferred/rejected.

Having said that, NU still wants a diverse class made up of dynamic students from varied ethnicity, background, location, interests, life experience, $$$. So there’s obviously no one formula for all kids. What’s important is a well-crafted resume and narrative that tells the unique authentic story of the student that makes the AO say that this kid belongs on our campus. Demonstrated interest, IMO, is what’s in your resume! Campus tour, connecting with local AO, attending webinars etc are cherry on top.

I’m not sure if that helps, and this is just my opinion, but this is what I’d advice the younger sibling.

22 Likes