Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

NU In Boston students are enrolled in the College of Professional Studies. NU In Boston existed in Fall, 2020 also.

This is very interesting, and perhaps there should be a new thread. I did some comparisons to last year and it looks like NEU purposely over accepted a higher percentage of women than men this year. Normally, they accept in line with applications (so if 56% of apps are women, then 55-56% would be accepted). This year, they accepted women at a 60+% rate, where they were 56% of apps. I wonder why.

Hey I’m an ED2 applicant looking for some advice. On the Northeastern portal it says if I want, I can remove my test score and make myself test-optional despite already submitting it (the deadline for this is next week I believe). I got a 33 on the ACT, should I? Most stats say I am within 50%, but some start at 34 not 33. Do you think it is worth the potential risk?

FWIW…my daughter applied ED1, submitted her ACT score of 33 and was accepted with a Dean’s scholarship.

4 Likes

I think if my D22 is deferred from RD, I’ll encourage her to send her 32. Nothing to lose at that point.

I would not remove a 33 ACT score.

3 Likes

A 33 is a fantastic score. Keep it!

DD 22 applied EA. Reading all the comments here seems this year even more competitive than last year ? Whar is yield 33% mean? that only 33 % students who are accepted decide to attend? its a bit confusing …

33% yield means exactly what you think, about 33% of admitted students ended up attending. This year will likely be more competitive because the number of applicants will likely be the same, if not higher, while the admission rate will likely drop.

The stats for the enrolled is really not that much different from the accepted : SAT Composite 1440 / 1530 and ACT for 33 / 35.

Even though this doesn’t include NU-IN, Northeastern is getting harder and harder to get into every year.

Do you think they’re the kind of school that accepts students who apply ED with a 3.3 GPA as long as they feel they can bring something to the table?

NEU is a stats-heavy school in general, but I would say definitely possible. 1) Holistic review. There are many other factors that they look at too. Like you said, if they feel the kids can bring something else to the table 2) GPA is not as “standard” as SAT/ACT and it is really hard to get high GPA in some highly competitive HS.

NUin students are not officially matriculated into the school until spring semester and do not show up in these figures. Actually the common data set specifically calls out fall enrollment, so that clarified it for me.

1 Like

Remember though that NEU is now test optional so only really high score students are submitting scores now. But I agree, the school is attracting very high academic students all around.

2 Likes

Yes, 33% of accepted students chose to go to NEU. The issue is that this is a much higher percentage compared to the numbers that normally choose to attend so it has led to a very high overenrollment this past year.

1 Like

@norik95 This also explains why there was only little variance between the accepted and the enrolled in terms of the stats. More kids decided to commit to NEU, when they received the offer, not just using NEU as a backup.

2 Likes

if I take IB/AP courses, could a B+ be considered as an A for NE, and could it show up as so in my weighted GPA?

No idea, but I believe they will recalculate your GPA once they receive the transcript from your HS.

That is why I think the colleges ask for the numerical grades along with letter grades. From what I read, most of them recalculate the GPA but how they do it is shrouded in mystery.

Actually, Northeastern used to publish how they recalculated weighted GPA. I can’t find it online now. It may have been adding .25 for an honors course and .50 for an AP course but don’t quote me.

3 Likes