Northeastern(Nu In) vs SMU (Cox BBA scholar)

Can some one give some insights which is academically and future career wise a better option?

A lot depends on what you want to do. Both are great schools - but in my opinion, SMU without fail - and likely even without the BBA Scholar.

NU In - to me - isn’t even - in at Northeastern. Yes, I know it is and there’s a lot of advantage to going abroad or whichever location they give you.

SMU Cox is a top b school, has a pipeline to Wall Street if that’s interesting, and SMU seems to get looked down upon - but i’m not sure why.

Yes, it’s going to have the wealthy from TX -but so what.

It’s a great school, world renowned, strong b school and the BBA Scholar adds to it.

NU will give you co ops which for some kids are fine…you earn money, maybe you find a job this way, but you can also intern in summers and have just as good as luck finding a job.

I would struggle with going to campus late - like NEU - but others do love those programs.

And to me, I’d rate SMU a better b school…but it’s really up to you.

No wrong choice.

3 Likes

Which school and campus do you like better? Are you ok with a co-op? Some don’t like them. S20 has enjoyed his co-op. Surprisingly a fair percentage don’t finish their co-op, at least that’s the case at Georgia Tech.

Both are excellent choices. There is no wrong answer. I love Boston as a college city but the SMU offer would be very tempting.

S20 turned down SMU BBA scholar because we couldn’t visit when Covid hit. It seemed like a fantastic opportunity. He also liked Northeastern. Deferred and withdrew app figuring he wouldn’t get any merit.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you both. S23 liked both campus. Anyone knows how they compare based on academic rigor and placements

Can’t tell you about rigor. B school in general - IMHO - not rigorous compared to other majors.

Here are outcomes - all online-for SMU, you may need to toggle down to undergraduate (bottom on left side) - if it goes right to graduate.

Here is NEUs - although it’s not populating for me. You can always call both and get a placement report.

Graduate Outcomes (smu.edu)

Career Outcomes Powered by Experience - Northeastern University

Placement for Cox BBA: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.smu.edu/-/media/Site/Cox/CentersAndInstitutes/CMC/SMU-Cox-BBA-Employment-Report-2022.pdf

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.