Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Could you please elaborate a little more? I am actually very interested in the essential difference, and it would help other parents here as well. Thanks!

No, the acceptance rate was not be design, it was purely do to an unexpected increase in yield the year prior. Normally NU has about a 25% yield, in 2021 the yield unexpectedly jumped to 33%. The campus was overcrowded, housing was tight, they had no choice but to be extremely conservative with acceptances last year in order to bring the total enrollment number down. I would expect the acceptance rate to increase to the typical 18%-20% this year.
Northeastern is a great school in a great city. Their co-op program is second to none. They have no need to “game the system”, what they offer their students is truly phenomenal. And, having campuses around the world helps more kids to be able to take advantage of all that NU has to offer. They know what they’re doing and they do it exceptionally well.

8 Likes

You can read about NU.in here:
https://nuin.northeastern.edu/what-is-nuin/

And NU Bound here:
https://admissions.northeastern.edu/academics/specialized-entry-programs/nu-bound/

These are both freshman programs, where the student is accepted by Northeastern but starts college at a campus other than the main Boston campus. I think they may have added more options recently. Some of these options affect financial aid and/or require visas (for international locations).

The guaranteed transfer programs you refer to are for sophomores or juniors who have started their college journey at a different college as freshmen. So not the same.

Thank you! Certainly there are differences. I am aware of this. The boy of one of my friends got into this program at GT, but you said " are not in any way similar". There are many similarities between GT and NEU in terms of the transfer programs from my understanding. Essentially there are more similarities than the differences, or no
? Of course, I could be wrong and am genuinely interested in the essential differences.

Some schools have something that is a “guaranteed transfer“ program. BU, for instance, offer this to some students. They go freshman year to some other college, of the student’s choosing, and then, if they decide they want to start at BU their sophomore year, they apply to transfer, and they are guaranteed to be accepted as a transfer student to Bu as long as they have met some minimum requirements for classes taken and GPA.

What Northeastern has is completely different. Students are accepted into an “alternative program” for their freshman year, (or for a semester of their freshman year?). That program feeds directly into a regular sophomore year at Northeastern. The student does not do any application, and they are never attending a school that is not officially part of Northeastern.

1 Like

My daughter got the fee waiver from Northwestern too ( also from Chicago, Yale and some other schools), but I am not going to say that Northwestern is trying to “game the system” based on that.

2 Likes

Thank you! This is basically what DadofJerseyGirl provided. You might view them differently, but to me they are essentially similar guaranteed programs with differences. I understand they are not the same. Also could those institutions potentially “protect their stats” by doing that? Intentionally or unintentionally? How could we tell? Unintentionally because they are GT or NYU, or intentionally because it is Northeastern?

He’s the absolute worst, all about managing stats to move up in the rankings. He spoke at our child’s school two years ago and that was enough to cross Tulane off the list for us.

Please move on from debating NUIN/NU Bound, “gaming the system”, etc

Thank you.

4 Likes

Some recent good news from some of the many successful Northeastern alums: a $25 million donation from Alan McKim and Maura Healy (NUSL 98) was elected Massachusetts’ first female and openly gay Governor this week.

5 Likes

NUIN Is one semester and NUBound is a one year alternative entry program.

1 Like

When NUIN started over ten years ago at NU, there did seem to be some slighter difference in stats or test scores and perhaps there might have been some stat protection; however, there is really very little stats protection any more (if there was at all) as so many high stats students are offered these programs. The reality is that NU education is in such high demand and these programs have grown as ways to offer more students this education. In addition, NUIN has become so popular that there are many students that WANT to start their college program with this program abroad. NU even offers a frosh Spring semester abroad called Global Quest where students offered Fall admit can do a study abroad program spring of frosh year. NUBound is relatively new and started as an alternative entry program for international students only but has now expanded to be offered to US students both in London and at Mills.

The difference between these programs and the guaranteed transfer programs is that the curriculum is developed per major/college so there is a seamless transition to their Boston program. This way there is no loss of credits or classes as they move to the Boston campus. Depending on your planned major, you can only go to NUIN at certain countries to be sure they offer your basic courses for your major. Also, you are with all other NU students, develop relationships, have NU advisors there, etc. For guaranteed transfer programs, you just need to complete a full year elsewhere at a certain GPA and then literally transfer in, perhaps knowing no one and hoping your credits are good for your planned major.

6 Likes

The anticipation is building, when do the EDs expect to come out?

1 Like

Mid-December.

1 Like

There are no promises here, but I looked at the past notification dates, and the decisions tend to be released on Wednesday of the first full week of December at around 7-7:30 PM ET. So for this year, that would be December 7th at ~7PM ET, two weeks from today. I could be completely wrong about this; it’s just what I saw looking at the Twitter posts from the past three years! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The caliber of the education and the caliber of the student are top notch. Caliber of the experiential learning and global opportunities are like none other. There is no faking it.

5 Likes

In the past NU’s notification date for ED was 12/15 and they sent decisions on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. This year the NU site shows the notification date for ED as 1/1.

1 Like

1/1 is what it was originally the portal now says by 12/15

Great! Thank you for that update.

2 Likes

Hopefully 12/7!

2 Likes