Now that you have been accepted why choose Geneseo?

<p>I responded to a post on another thread regarding choosing Geneseo so I figured I should place this here as well. </p>

<p>Congrats on your acceptance!!!</p>

<p>Why choose Geneseo?</p>

<p>1) Geneseo delivers on what it promises which is providing a top rate affordable undergraduate education. </p>

<p>The academics are truly excellent. The Sciences, Speech Pathology, the Business Program, Education, the Social Sciences are all strong programs. The coursework is challenging but in a good way. I had Professors that taught at Geneseo and other local colleges and told us that they challenged us more because they knew they could. The Professors are approachable and want you to succeed. Will you study at Geneseo? Most definitely!!!</p>

<p>2) There is an insatiable sense of campus pride. It is catching! Geneseo students know that they are at a top rate public college and are proud of it as well as they should be. Geneseo students compete just as well as many of the top privates in national competitions the Federal Reserve Challenge is just one example. </p>

<p>3) Plan to attend graduate school? Over 40% of students attend graduate school. Geneseo students are well prepared for graduate school. This school places allot of emphasis on developing well rounded students with strong writing and critical thinking skills. </p>

<p>4) Geneseo has created a state-of –the-art Student Affairs program that has been nationally recognized as a best practice in American Higher Education. So having things to do on campus is a priority here. </p>

<p>5) Gold Student Leadership Development Program – Geneseo’s innovative program is available to students to help prepare them for leadership roles and responsibilities in service to the college and the global community. Students get involved in personal development programs, institutes, leadership certificates, service learning, and volunteer work. </p>

<p>6) Geneseo is committed to Community Service. The college was once again named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor roll. The award recognizes colleges and universities for their impact on issues from poverty and homelessness to environmental justice. Geneseo has been on the honor roll every year since the recognition was launched in 2006.</p>

<p>7) The campus is one of the best out of the SUNY system. It is a mix of old and new buildings which maintains the history and charm of the campus. The views are beautiful especially from the gazebo overlooking the valley. I always enjoyed the small town feel of Geneseo and how involved and connected the college was with the local community. I also took advantage of the skiing opportunities in the winter, biking, camping and hiking through Letchworth State Park (The Grand Canyon of the East, they say), trips to Rochester if I wanted to get out of town, and of course visiting friends at other colleges. I always enjoyed my trip back home to Geneseo. I am a Long Islander, so I did the long haul to Geneseo but actually began to enjoy the trip when accompanied with friends. Some of my best memories were those road trips back to SUNY G! </p>

<p>8) SUNY Geneseo’s Athletic Programs reflect the same level of excellence as its academics. The intercollegiate athletics program is comprised of 20 teams. The Hockey and Basketball games are probably the most popular. 2008-2009 season Geneseo finished second in the Commissioner’s Cup standings for overall sports performance in the SUNYAC conference. Within the SUNY Athletic Conference, Geneseo has earned 43 out of 134 Chancellor’s Scholarship Athlete Awards since 2003 (Nearly 1/3 of all awards). Geneseo has less than 10 percent of the total undergraduate enrollment of SUNYAC colleges. This level of academic performance is pretty amazing. For the recreational athlete, the college provides 23 intramural leagues and an all-weather outdoor track which was a recent improvement. </p>

<p>9) As for the Rankings US News, Princeton Review, Fiske, Kiplinger, did I miss one? All they do is reaffirm what we already know about Geneseo. The school is consistently recognized for its focus on undergraduate education and providing value for the dollar. That definitely is worth recognizing and Geneseo deserves all of the honors and accolades it receives. It once was a hidden gem now it is just a gem!</p>

<p>10) As a successful hospital administrator I can tell you that I owe a lot of my success to Geneseo. I breezed through graduate school because of the skills and learning opportunities made available to me at Geneseo. I still stay very connected to Geneseo because I see the value of a Geneseo education. Students who work hard in high school should be able to receive a quality, well rounded college education at an affordable price. This is what Geneseo promises and delivers. </p>

<p>Because of all of the budget cuts across SUNY Geneseo is actually reducing its enrollment by 75 this year in order to maintain quality. Even though the college will lose tuition revenue they do not want to jeopardize the level of academic excellence. That to me demonstrates this college’s commitment to its students and what they promise.</p>

<p>Just curious, would you happen to know how that 40% (graduate school) is split up? Like what percentage went to med school, dental school, teaching school, etc.?</p>

<p>I love Geneseo.</p>

<p>Geneseograd:</p>

<p>Thank you for your posts. My wife and I graduated in 87. We have since settled in Florida. The school has sure changed a lot since we were there. I visited in December with my son and was able to see the new science building and could tell just from the brief tour the entire culture has changed…in a good way. The acamemics are the main focus as they should be. (Probably not the best month to visit for a student from Florida but we wanted to give him the cold reality.) He really liked the school and could see the setting is more traditional than the Florida schools he has been accepted to.</p>

<p>We got news this week that our son was accepted and now have to convince our sun shine raised student that the opportunity he is being given is right for him. Your email will really help.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>flaknights -Happy to help! I hope your son attends!!</p>

<p>Bioblade: Regarding the split of grad programs please see this link. I believe you will find what you are looking for. </p>

<p>[Where</a> are they now?](<a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/CMS/display.php?page=3070&dpt=careers]Where”>http://www.geneseo.edu/CMS/display.php?page=3070&dpt=careers)</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone on your acceptance!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for the link, it didn’t exactly specify the answer, but it split the data into departments so I could deduce the information I wanted anyway.</p>

<p>My son was accepted…I’m so happy!
But the question may come down to Binghamton or Geneseo?
Intrest in PT or Pre- Med…</p>

<p>If your son visits both, he should be able to tell where he ‘belongs’ within 5 minutes.
Main difference is size. Bing is bustling, busy and big(ger) - easier to be anonymous in the crowd. Gen is quaint, personal with a nicer campus for sure. Most who know both, vote for Geneseo - unless the smallish town makes them uneasy.</p>

<p>does not having a football team affect the atmosphere? Are there club sports, ski trips, etc?</p>

<p>I never felt like it did. There are plenty of other teams to support…Hockey and Basketball are typically very popular. </p>

<p>Plenty of intramural sports here is the link [Athletics</a> | SUNY Geneseo](<a href=“SUNY Geneseo - Official Athletics Website”>SUNY Geneseo - Official Athletics Website)</p>

<p>Here is a link to all of the Student Organizations and clubs…yep there is a ski club.
<a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/isu/cms_pdf/CUA/Student_Organization_Contact_Info_category__Query.pdf[/url]”>http://www.geneseo.edu/isu/cms_pdf/CUA/Student_Organization_Contact_Info_category__Query.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Yeah, hockey is huge here. Lots of people go to the games on Friday “Knights” haha sorry for the cheezy joke you’ll see that one used a lot here. xD</p>

<p>And the best reason to come here is that it’s awesome. I consistently see familiar faces walking around campus and you really have a chance to get to know both your class mates and your professors.
Binghamton just didn’t suit me cause of the size and Geneseo had a quaint atmosphere. Walking through the town houses while the clock tower chimes in the winter makes the place look like it just came out of a Harry Potter movie and I really liked that. Both are a great schools but worldspirit said it best, you’ll just know.</p>

<p>Is anyone going to preview day on April 1?</p>

<p>Geneseograd, I’m gonna PM you my current problem with Geneseo. I was really disappointed with one of the faculty D:</p>

<p>My daughter is torn betw Geneseo and St Olaf in MN. Both are mid-sized, highly selective, Liberal Arts, D3 Swim team, which is what our daughter wants. Both are in rural settings. We are from a suburb of Chicago so proximity to St Olaf is a bit easier (7 hours by car) than Geneseo (10 hrs by car). Geneseo is 1st in conference in Women’s swimming, St Olaf is 4th in their conf. Any suggestions as to which one to choose or ideas about how to decide? I went to Geneseo in late 70’s/early 80’s and I know it’s changed for the better academically. Where should she go HELP</p>

<p>Has she had a chance to visit Geneseo? What is her intended major?</p>

<p>I got accepted into:
Binghamton
Geneseo
Stonybrook
Hofstra Honors college</p>

<p>I am stuck between Stonybrook and Geneseo. Which school is better for chemistry and computer science? (I am leaning towards Stonybrook)</p>

<p>Both schools are very different. Are you from Long Island? Have you visited both schools?</p>

<p>You should also check-out the Stony Brook thread on here where current students are posting their experience…</p>

<p>She thinks she ultiately wants to be an Occupational Therapist, hence the desire for a Liberal Arts School for undergrad.</p>

<p>Geneseograd?
Im going up to Geneseo at the end of the month.
Is there anything you could say I should see that I may not see on the standard tour?
This will be for accepted students preview day
We are staying close to the campus at the Big Tree Inn.
I also would need some help for him picking a major that would not overwhelm him right off the bat but help him with his pre- med path.
Any words of wisdom for this concerned parent?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Careful here. Most competitive liberal arts colleges make their pre-med programs very rigorous with the intent to weed out those that might not make it or would not stand a strong chance to succeed in Med School. IOW - most schools want to overwhelm pre-med students and see who survives. Not sure if there is any way ‘around’ this.</p>