Number of Times SAT/ACT Taken

Do the UC schools know/ want to know / need to know how many times the SAT or ACT was taken when submitting scores? I’m a high school junior planning on taking each test 3-4 times before applying to the UC schools this fall.

This might be a really obvious question but I’m just really confused.

UC’s will take the highest total score from a single sitting for the SAT with essay or the highest ACT composite score with writing (the essay and writing portions may be dropped in the next few years). You do not have to report all scores or send all scores.

I would not plan on taking these test several times. I would do some test prep first, see how you do on each test and then concentrate on either the SAT or ACT. With proper test prep, taking these tests twice can be sufficient.

Also many of the UC’s recommend SAT subject tests depending upon intended major so you will need to fit these tests into your testing schedule.

You do realize that the UC’s offer no financial aid for OOS applicants, so are you and your family prepared to pay $65K/year to attend if accepted? Something to think about before applying.

Haha yeah I’m aware of the price tag attached to the UC schools :-/
I’m more focused on getting admitted and seeing what I can do from there, and I’m applying/have applied to multiple scholarships. Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice!

Most outside scholarships only cover a year at a time so make sure they are renewal for all 4 years. The best Financial aid comes from the colleges themselves and the UC’s will give little to no FA so if costs are a concern, target schools where your stats put at the 75th percentile for the best chances at financial aid. What are your in-state options?

Affordability is important and your thinking that I will figure out finances later will only lead to disappointment. As a parent of a UC grad and CSU grad, please sit down with your family now and discuss a budget before applying to schools that are unaffordable.

Why were you asking about the WUE schools (from your other threads) if money is not a concern? UC Merced is the only UC that participates in the WUE so that could be a target school for you.

Cost is definitely a concern, I just want to see if I’m capable of gaining admission to the UC schools I’m interested in, even though the chances of me actually attending are slim. Several of my friends who have already graduated had applied and been accepted to schools like UCLA but ended up going somewhere else.

I live in WA so I have a few in state options like UW and WSU, but only UW offers industrial engineering. I am mostly looking at out of state schools because I only moved to WA two years ago and don’t really want to continue my studies here or settle here.

California, although pricey, has the most opportunities in terms of STEM internships, degrees, and jobs, and is a place I would like to end up settling. It’s true that WA has Microsoft, Amazon and Boeing, but I am much more interested in Tesla and SpaceX and Google.

CA just has a lot of upsides it seems, even though it is definitely not cheap. Budgeting for college has been an ongoing discussion with my parents. They didn’t go to college in this country and I’m also their oldest child, so they’re just as confused as I am about the whole college process. I’ve definitely been looking more at WUE schools like CPP and CSU Northridge.

And it’s also entirely likely that I decide to stay right here in WA. I have the rest of this semester and a bit of summer vacation to think before I start applying for schools.

Thank you for the explanation but other than UC Berkeley the rest of the UC’s offer do not offer Industrial Engineering as an Undergrad major. USC and University of San Diego are 2 other options for this major. UCLA offers Manufacturing Engineering but realize both UCB and UCLA will be Reach schools.