Nursing and a weak stomach.....

<p>^^^
How would she graduate with her BSN (and rack up about 1000 clinical hours) before starting grad school? If she could get through the clinical hours this wouldn’t be an issue.</p>

<p>How did this all come out?</p>

<p>Thanks for asking downtoearth.</p>

<p>Don’t really have an answer to that…yet.</p>

<p>At the moment we are proceeding as planned with the 2 year ADN starting in the fall.</p>

<p>Daughter is still expressing her doubts, but, also realizes it is a good plan that makes sense on all levels (with the exception of the weak stomach) and we are just going to hope she can over-come it.</p>

<p>After speaking with someone in the Nursing Dept, she assured me there were other related progams she could switch into if she found out she just couldn’t hack it. </p>

<p>So…time will tell.</p>

<p>Time will tell. Irrigating an ear is the least of it, honeslty. ALthough for a NP, mileage may vary, I suppose depending on setting of practice- out patient psych vs inpatient geriatrics… Also she may not like to see ears irrigated but might not have an issue with anything else! Still she will have to do clinicals and complete a nursing program. She will have clinicals on medical/surgical floors and possibly nursing homes. These will feature such things as tracheostomy care, assisting pts with personal hygiene, ng tubes and their out puts, ostomy bags etc, surgical wounds need packing/irrigating, nephrostomy tubes, stage 4 ulcers that need treatments. Some people have been in nursing many years and strongly dislike one of the above mentioned things but you have to do it to do your job and not excpect co workers to “trade” assignments/patients. There are a lot of different areas of nursing but in almost all hospital settings you will be exposed to the above. Also the more you are exposed to something the more desensitized you get to it.</p>

<p>My daughter is working her first job after nursing school and just sent me a photo of her with a bag of leeches that she had to use on a patient - she was a bit unsettled about it but more curious about how they would help the patient and avoid a second surgery.<br>
This is a long way from her freshman year where she felt faint when giving a shot…</p>

<p>ShanghaiMom and Pageagain…thanks for the recent input! My thread was just about onto page 2 and never-never land.</p>

<p>Very good input from you both and I appreciate it. Daughter is going ahead with the RN program and I’ve signed the lease on the apartment for ten months…so…far as I’m concerned she’s committed LOL! She’s still getting faint from everything the least bit medical but I’m hanging onto the “desensitized” comment pageagain! That’s what I’m hoping for. The beginning of your post was a bit disheartening though…but I know you are absolutely correct. I guess only time will tell with this.</p>

<p>ShanghaiMom, leeches shouldn’t be a problem as she can bait her fishing line! And good to hear your daughter has come a long way. That’s what I’m hoping for!</p>

<p>I know daughter has it in her to be a great nurse. Mother’s know these things, right? Just hope she can get her head around the issues she has.</p>

<p>Um… I’m not a nurse, but I work on floor with nurses at a hospital because I’m a dietary aide.</p>

<p>I would really suggest that she take the next step by taking a CNA (Nurse Aide) class which will allow her to work in a LTC facility or a hospital while she does the pre reqs at a community college. This will allow her to overshadow RNs better and will giver her experience and she can make $9 to $11/hour doing it. CNA classes can be done at vocational schools for around $500 or as on-the-job training (with special requirements).</p>

<p>I’m going into nursing with a plan to become an advanced registered nurse practitioner (or possibly go into medicine). Even working in a hospital on floor with trauma patients, I still get a little light headed around blood. It’s just something that you get used to over time; you’re not born with a strong stomach.</p>

<p>Nursing is very rewarding job (both mentally and monetarily), but it is hard work and you will get your hands dirty. Although, there are MANY different areas of nursing that she can decide upon. If she then decides then that the medical field entirely (not just nursing) is not for her, she might want to move on.</p>

<p>PS: There are areas of nursing that don’t deal with blood or lesser amounts of blood like forensic nursing, legal nursing, psychiatric/mental health nursing, community health nursing, and etc.</p>