Yuck Factor for Parents

<p>I could use a little boost. I've mentioned before that my daughter is absolutely committed to nursing, and has know that it's what she wants to do since she was very young. She has grown up helping to care for a parent who is ill with a degenerative, terminal illness, and had somewhere around 500-800 hours of volunteering in a hospital before she went off to her BSN program. She'll be a Junior next year, and has made Dean's list every semester even while in a social sorority. She isn't pursuing nursing for the job security or as a pathway to something more prestigious (nurse educator, nursing anaethetist, ec. like every other nursing student she's met LOL). She wants to be a ward nurse.</p>

<p>She comes home from her summer job with stories about changing catheter bags, helping to bathe patients, lifting heavy patients (the facility's lift isn't working right now), patients hitting/biting, wound care, etc. She has some stories about co-workers having melt-downs and walking out. She has worked with patients who are dying, and patients who have mersa and other diseases. She leaves her shoes outside and washes scrubs daily due to the stuff on them. She's absolutely fine with all of this. She's excited about her next year in nursing school.</p>

<p>I know that someone has to do this stuff, and I'm very proud of her. On the other hand....YUCK. I wish my little Princess (who loves math) had chosen to be an accountant or an engineer. </p>

<p>I know we have to let our children follow their dreams and make their own choices. I don't let her know that I get upset hearing about her day. I worry that she'll get sick, hurt herself, and see things that I wish she wouldn't have to deal with. </p>

<p>My question is whether the yuck factor goes away for parents? Will I ever get used to this?</p>

<p>You will have to get used to it or it will effect your relationship with your daughter. She is clearly committed to nursing. She may not be interested in graduate nursing programs now, but she may choose them later.
However, if she chooses to stay a hospital ward nurse, and be hands-on with the “yuk” factor as you call it, then she has chosen a high calling indeed. As a parent, what we want to see most is our kids being productive and also happy in their jobs. It seems your daughter has found happiness in helping others- those who are sick and suffering. What an incredible person she must be.
As to occupational hazards- yes, it is normal to worry. She must protect herself and the hospital must provide a safe working environment. The hospital has a responsibility to keep the lift in working order, and provide masks, gloves, gowns and other protective wear. Many infections are spread on people’s hands and hand washing is mandatory. Part of her training is learning how to reduce her risks.</p>

<p>Ward nurses do work hard and the job is emotionally and physically demanding. It is good that she loves this, and may choose to do this for the long term. However, as she gets older, and has her own family, she may decide on another option later. You can’t wish this for her now- you have to accept what she chooses, but know that she is on a path with many choices in the future. Not everyone is suited to dealing with “yuk” but thank goodness for people like your daughter.
If the “yuk” bothers you to the point that is interferes with your relationship, consider that exposure to it can desensitize you a bit (not to the people but to the “yuk”). You have already experienced what a gift your daughter is when you had an ill family member. Maybe volunteering in a local hospital on an occasional basis would alleviate some of the fears- not hands on- but working a few hours in the gift shop, bringing newspapers/flowers/magazines to a patient- or anything that would let you experience her world a bit.</p>

<p>Op, I work as a nurse and am pretty close to your daughter’s age range ( if she is a traditional student). My parents and friends also do NOT like hearing my stories. It IS gross and upsetting to most people. I know that, so I keep them to a limit or rarely talk about work unless it is with a friend who is also a nurse. As a nurse you do see upsetting things and sometimes it sucks knowing that no one understands or wants to hear it. I can pick up on people’s feelings pretty fast and know enough to know most people do not want to hear about colostomies, post mortem care, caths, pts high on meth etc. Can you ever tell your daughter these tales upset you? Is that a possiblity? You mentioned that you wish she had chosen another profession like accounting or engineering,( I think my mother felt/feels the same way and I can sense some disappointment from her ).I am not sure if the “yuck” factor will ever go away for you.</p>

<p>My husband is an EMT and my daughter is a nurse so we have a rule at our house to deal with this. The rule is: No ‘medical’ conversations at the dinner table. Some of our other children really hated to hear some of the stories that they come home with (esp the more’graphic’ ones) so we came up with this rule. </p>

<p>Her younger sister is studying accounting (she was made to be an accountant in the same way that her older sister was made to be a nurse) and when the conversation would get to gross for her, she’d start talking about one of the accounting classes. Sort of a ‘here’s a taste of your own medicine’ approach since we all think that accounting is a really boring subject. LOL.</p>

<p>That said, only time will tell if the yuck factor will ever go away for you. I have found her stories easier to listen to over the years.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! It helps to know that I’m not alone with this. I know she loves sharing her stories, so I’ll view this as my own adjustment and learning process. Sigh.</p>

<p>I got the other side of the coin today. My kid (now a Junior) called to tell me that another student collapsed in front of her today. The student hit her head, was unconscious and then began to have seizures. My kid helped to stabilize the student, until an ambulance came. This is such an amazing profession!</p>

<p>Great story Neonzeus. I love hearing my daughter talk about her patients (in a very general way to protect patient confidentiality) because it’s interesting to hear just how she can impact a person’s life on the worst day of their life. She is working as an Emergency Dept nurse now and oh my, does she tell some interesting stories.</p>

<p>Thanks Neonzeus for this post. I read it before and now I am reading it again. Blessings to anyone who has the patience and stomach for this type of job. I am sure there is never a dull day.</p>