Nursing books

Any general advice on books for nursing students for first semester freshman year? Buy? Rent? Codes?

Many freshman classes at many colleges require an access code for web content that is used for homework, etc. It is sometimes possible to find an access code by itself, but they are not cheap Often you need to buy new if an access code is needed.

Otherwise, I bought most of my daughter’s books used on Amazon. The most expensive ones I rented. Nursing students often like to hold onto their most important books to study for the RN exam.

Look for the ISBN code on the college website, so you can make sure you buy the right version from other sources.

@charlieschm How do you know ahead if a book is worth keeping or it is ok to rent? For first year she has the fundamentals of nursing (Taylor). Also do you know if the codes come with the book when you buy NEW from Amazon? That part is very confusing as Amazon does not specify. I assume when she goes to school and meets the other students she ll know for next semester but this first semester we are a bit clueless.

If you use the ISBN number from the college and buy new, the access code should be included. Often the Amazon post specifically says that the access code is included.

Freshman year textbooks probably do not need to be kept. Also, most of the RN test prep is electronic, so maybe there is not a need to keep all of the textbooks.