Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

Thank you - that was what I was attempting to mention and you made it very clear!
:slightly_smiling_face:

According to Register | NCLEX (about 1/3rd way down) it is the state nursing board that decides eligibility to take the test, not the school. The nursing board, in turn, determines eligibility by looking at the studentā€™s transcript. For example in CA the instructions at Licensure by Examination just say they must receive transcripts from the college the student attended, not any other approval or authorization.

Are you saying there are colleges that refuse to release transcripts or certify graduation status until the student has passed a simulation NCLEX test?

Yes - you are correct thank you!

Yes, some schools will not send/delay transcripts if the Hesi or ATI scores are not adequate. This is from the handbook of a school I am familiar with.

Edit. You can google ā€œnursing exit examā€ or hesi/ati controversy etc. Policies vary per school/state etc.

2 Likes

ON a related note-- Google this:
ā€œMovement to Revise High Stakes HESI Grading System at URIā€ and see the results!

I actually just stumbled across this- URI in particular has ā€œset nursing students up to failā€ (according to one of the comments ) in how they ā€œuseā€ HESI.

Read the comments!

UGH URIā€™s nursing program has so many issues. Glad my kid went elsewhere.

I donā€™t know very much about the nursing school process so I am not following your point. Doesnā€™t an 850 ordinarily correlate to barely passing the NCLEX? Shouldnā€™t we expect that from our student nurses?

Iā€™m actually not really sure about the 850 question; my point is simply adding to the discussion we were having in the thread - that some nursing schools are sneaky and manipulative with a self-serving goal of squeezing out even excellent students if they canā€™t perform well on certain tests, particularly prep tests for the NCLEX. :pensive:

Curious too about FAU and USF Tampaā€™s nursing programs.

Hi! i have been lurking on this thread as i am a current high school senior who just got into umaine direct entry bsn and george mason direct entry as well! i noticed that you have discussed your daughter attending umaine? i have some questions! is it a weed out program? ive read the handbook front to back but i am still a little confused. how are the clinicals? are they too far? i read in the handbook that they can be about an hour away and that transportation needs to be self provided. i live in maryland so i havenā€™t gotten the chance to visit yet, but we will during spring break. also, how does your daughter like the program so far? they seem really caring about the students from what i have researched, but we never really know.
thank you!

1 Like

Hello,
My daughter is very happy in the program so far! Sheā€™s made awesome friends, especially with fellow nursing students, who are from all over. (We are from NY.) From what she understands, most if not all clinicians will be in the Bangor area. Bangor is about 10 miles away and a car is generally required although there is a bus system.

I believe that basically nursing students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 with some wiggle room as suggested in the handbook.
I do agree it can be confusing to read but like most nursing programs, science grades seem prioritized.

From the handbook-

Blockquote

Nursing students must meet or exceed the following academic requirements in order to progress to nursing (NUR) courses.
To progress to NUR 102, NUR 106, and NUR103:
ā€¢ Achieve a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of2.5
ā€¢ Achieve a minimum Science GPA of2.5
ā€¢ Earn no less than a grade of ā€œCā€ in any required coursework.
To progress to NUR 200 and higher level nursing courses:
ā€¢ Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of3.0
ā€¢ Achieve a minimum Science GPA of3.0
ā€¢ Earn no less than a grade of ā€œCā€ in any required coursework.
ā€¢ Successful completion of 47 credit hours which include all sciences,
math and social science prerequisite courses for the nursing major.

Blockquote

The program is definitely very supportive. Everyone in Maine seems so nice. Itā€™s just how it is!! Theyā€™re great people. My daughter has found it easy to communicate with professors and has found lots of support within her cohort & with students in other cohorts.

I hope this helps- please ask me anything else I might be able to answer.

Good luck! :+1:

Sheā€™s having a blast and the winter hasnā€™t been all that bad. Yes itā€™s cold & snows but not all the time and itā€™s not that big a deal.

1 Like

Is your daughter still at UP? How is she liking it? My daughter was accepted for Fall 2024 but I have some reservations with the whole SIM track they have started.

1 Like

Hi, my DD has applied to Michigan state direct-admit Nurse Scholar program this year for fall 2024. I am not finding much information on this but could you please tell me how many students are admitted to each year?