Nursing or engineering?

<p>I'm currently a freshman nursing student and I think I want to switch my major to engineering. After one semester in nursing, I am rethinking things. I am not that interested in nursing anymore because I don't really like people that much, I don't want to clean them or monitor them. I also realized how much I missed math from high school and have been looking into electrical engineering. It seems so interesting to me and I live my life always trying to make things efficient and doing things the fastest way possible. Being able to design things and improve them and actually know why things are the way they are is so interesting to me. The problem is, throughout high school I thought I liked science classes, and did not like math except for physics. Now, I look back and think that math was not so bad. So I am finishing my freshman year in nursing and then possibly switching to engineering next year.</p>

<p>I guess my question is how do I know which is right for me? Nursing or engineering? </p>

<p>Any opinions on the two majors or switching to engineering would be greatly appreciated!!</p>

<p>If you do not like people, nursing is not for you. Ask your university for advice on switching majors. Someone will be very happy to take your nursing space as a transfer student. Those spaces are hard to come by at most schools.</p>

<p>As you consider what major to change to, make sure that you learn what engineering is all about. Just because you like math, it does not follow that you also will like engineering. However, what you can do is begin to take the base courses which are necessary for engineering as you make your decision. Start with Calculus and Calculus-based physics. those will get you ready to start taking engineering classes next year.</p>

<p>Do as much as you can as quickly as you can to explore both professions so you can make an informed decision. For instance, seek an opportunity to shadow a nurse for a day. Take advantage of career counseling at your college.</p>

<p>There are opportunities in nursing for work in research, administration, etc.</p>

<p>As noted above, in the meantime, use your current elective courses to take required classes in the engineering program, as much as possible. They probably will not let you take straight engineering courses unless you are an engineering major, but you can take other required classes in math and sciences.</p>