Nursing safety schools

Hi there! My daughter doesn’t have the stats yours has, 1230 sat and 3.6 gpa but got in to Endicott, and umass boston nursing programs (we live in Ma) she also got into to Salve Regina nursing.

“Going through the residency process means the student can travel outside of Utah for no more than 29 days in a year, also known as the “one year rule.” That includes holiday breaks and summer vacation.”

Keeping her in Utah unable to travel home more than 29 days per year would not be worth it.

https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2015/11/09/out-of-state-students-take-the-path-to-residency/

Yeah, it’s a trade-off. A current UofU parent here has explained that the 29-day restriction is only for that one year, when you’re establishing residency. After that you can do what you want. So for many, it is worth it, but you’d definitely have to weigh that downside. Also the fact that you couldn’t claim her as a dependent on your own taxes once she became a Utah resident.

That would mean she also couldn’t get health insurance under us?

I don’t think so. My 24y/o has graduated and is working in another state, no longer a dependent tax-wise, but she’s still on her dad’s insurance without a problem. But I’d doublecheck the requirements for your specific employer/insurance and make 100% sure.

@NHfall your daughter could still stay on your health plan. From hhs.gov:

Under current law, if your plan covers children, you can now add or keep your children on your health insurance policy until they turn 26 years old.

Children can join or remain on a parent’s plan even if they are:

Married
Not living with their parents
Attending school
Not financially dependent on their parents
Eligible to enroll in their employer’s plan

We just returned from Duquesne Nursing 2024 accepted students day and we are beyond impressed. The curriculum is amazing, clinicals start sophmore year. Starting with the 2024’s, they are rolling out a new immersion program with UPMC. Between soph & junior, they do an “internship” of sorts and clock an additional 750 clinical hours. Very few schools do this. Also, the entire teaching staff as well as administrators were on site to talk, answer questions, etc. It’s clear they all care about their students very much. It’s a warm environment. Class sizes are small. We really loved it.

Randolph-Macon College in Virginia has a brand new direct entry BSN program. We attended the Nursing open house and were impressed. The new Director of Nursing was formerly the Director of Nursing at James Madison University and comes highly credentialed. They also have invested in a new state of the art nursing building opening in Fall 2020.

Hi,
My daughter looking for BSN colleges in Massachusetts (OR New England area).
She is in 11th grade now, can someone help me BSN colleges info.

deleted

You already have a discussion thread posted regarding Nursing schools in Massachusetts. This discussion is several years old. I suggest you ask about safety schools on your current discussion.

1 Like

What was the area like? I was accepted as well there?

In case anyone is still looking for a direct entry safety for nursing - my wife went to East Stroudsburg University in PA. She has had a very successful career as an RN/BSN.

East Stroudsburg requires a 1070 SAT or 22 ACT for direct entry. IUP accepts lower SAT/ACT (used to be 1030 or 21, now test optional) but requires a 3.25 GPA. Clarion will accept a 3.0. My D22 with an SAT of 1030 (submitted) was admitted to both IUP’s and Clarion’s direct entry nursing programs.

1 Like