nursing to engineering?

<p>I am currently a freshman majoring in nursing. Although I know I would make a good nurse and wanted to work in the ER, I am starting to change my mind. I am not a people person and do not want to talk to people all day. I also would not like the long stressful shifts of being a nurse and all of the vaccines that nurses are required to get. I thought I wanted to be a nurse but I am unsure now.</p>

<p>I also know that there are many job choices for nurses but I have heard that the shortage of nurses is a lie and that many can’t even find jobs. With the way the health system is going, it might not be good to stay there.</p>

<p>I have been looking into engineering and am interested in biomedical engineering, but would probably major in electrical or mechanical engineering and then maybe back to school for my masters in biomedical engineering. </p>

<p>A reason I am interested in engineering is because I really liked physics in high school. Also, as a nursing major, there are no math courses that I need to take. I am interested in understanding how things work and changing things to make them better.</p>

<p>I understand engineering is very difficult and the reason I chose nursing was because I got accepted into a university that has a very good program. I thought it was the best opportunity for me. Now almost halfway through freshman year, I am realizing that I do not really like the school I am at and I would rather be closer to home, Chicago. I could also save money by commuting.</p>

<p>How can I be sure that I want to give engineering a try?</p>

<p>How do I know if I should take the leap to engineering and leave nursing behind? Also, if I transferred for fall of 2013 sophomore year, I am thinking that I will have to go to a community college because I do not have nearly enough prerequisites to get into an engineering program at a 4 year university in Illinois or near Chicago. I was looking at UIC and IIT. If I transfer, I will probably be behind on courses. I also wouldn’t change my major to engineering at the school I am at now since I came here for engineering and it would be pointless to pay the amount I am for a different reason that I came here with.</p>

<p>Any input would be great! Thanks!</p>

<p>You might start by taking all of your electives next semester in courses that would count towards an engineering degree, and putting in transfer applications now. That will leave your options open if you decide to make the change, or not. </p>

<p>Most colleges will not let non-engineering students take true engineering courses, but you can take calculus, physics, etc. Take a look at the first year course schedule of where you might want to attend. Ideally, you would take some courses that would count towards both degrees, such as chemistry and biology, to leave your options open. Some other courses might count towards an elective, if you decide to stay where you are. </p>

<p>At some colleges, biomedical engineering is a very popular major with a limited number of seats. Therefore, you might get into an engineering school but not get your preferred major. </p>

<p>Meanwhile, take advantage of the career advising services at your current college. You might also find some other health care fields that involve more math and physics and less hands-on care.</p>