Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

That’s right… they loved it there.

Ha. That’s where I’d park when I’d commute to Stanford.

@sbinaz You might want to clarify whether the first chance to put down a housing deposit is after everyone commits (SIR deadline is May 1) or if it is ASAP after students receive their acceptance. The University of Arizona FAQ says you can put your deposit down as soon as you are accepted.

This is common at many colleges. The bottom floors are more social (ex. group studying) and there are more noise limits as you move towards the top of the building. Top floors are usually designated as quiet.

2 Likes

Tour guide and honors college admissions counselor recommended to put down housing deposit ASAP after you’re accepted.

1 Like

I have a sophomoer/junior in the Honors college at University of Arizona. I will be happy to answer any questions. When we visited in 2021, the minute she stepped on Campus, she said this is it. Uofa is 2000 miles away from home. Some of your information is a little off, or I should say spun.

I didn’t intend to spin anything of this. Just reported what we learned/were told. I don’t have any questions right now, but appreciate the offer! :slight_smile:

I don’t think the implication was that you spun the info. I think the implication is you were fed already-spun information.

2 Likes

I have a sophomoer/junior in the Honors college at University of Arizona. I will be happy to answer any questions. When we visited in 2021, the minute she stepped on Campus, she said this is it. Uofa is 2000 miles away from home. Some of your information is a little off, or I should say spun.

2 Likes

I would love to hear your daughter’s experience at UofA Honors College, as my D24 is considering it (we are in state).

Also, am curious to hear which parts of sbinaz’s tour experience do you think the school/ tour guide “spun” ?

Lots of minor things, but the major, out of 1100 beds only roughly 200 are set aside for upperclassmen, and even though they can pick their beds early, there were 450 students this year trying to get 200 beds. It is done by lottery, so it doesn’t matter the day you pay your deposit. Out of the 4 days of assigned room selection, they ran out of beds on day two for about an hour. Now those students can pick dorm rooms elsewhere on campus and get first dibs. but if you go in thinking you can stay in Honor’s dorm for 4 years, you will most likely be disappointed. We lucked out last year and this year. My DD loves it there, has a great group of friends, and is doing really well. the downsides are the limited food options. the cafeteria in the Honors dorm is tiny, and not great. the rest of the food options are basically fast food. I hope you are paying attention to the Tucson crime. It seems to be a little too much for some. I see a lot of kids transfer out after that first year, because of it. I suggest you follow the local news if you do not already and see if it is OK for you. ASU is no different. The Honors dorm is far enough, my DD has concerns about walking home at night after practice, but luckily she has friends with cars. I am just being real, not meaning to scare you away. As I said we are extremely happy with the school and its academic programs. DD never had a class in the Honors dorm, and no one she knows has either. There are not a lot of honors classes to pick from. In fact, most of the time you have to do Honors contracts with instructors teaching your normal classes. That usually means an extra writing assignment. My DD plans on graduate school for psychology and/or neuroscience (she is a double major) and honors for her provide the research opportunities she will need to get accepted somewhere. You need to think of it as a minor, in addition to your major, but a lot more work. If you have been accepted, join the mom’s group on FB. Lots of excellent information.

6 Likes

@sllemon, @bethy1 , and @hoopsdad2000 Ohio University is a special place. It is a research university that feels like a liberal arts college. It is a university that is moderately selective but has some really excellent programs and many kind of fall under the radar. Scripps College of Communication is one of the better known ones but their nursing programs, medical prep programs, business, education and engineering programs and fine arts are all very good. It’s a school where there is greek life if you desire it but it doesn’t dominate life there. It has division 1 sports but most games are free for students. It’s a moderately large college but easy to get around (except for Jeff Hill :slightly_smiling_face:. The town/college relationship is excellent. There are a lot of excellent restaurants on or around Court street but little pretension. The surrounding area is beautiful and for parents there are lodges, cabins, Airbnbs, that are available and help you take in the beauty.

My D is in her final year of her Doctor of Physical Therapy program at OU after spending 4 years of undergrad there. She is looking forward to graduating after 19 years of formal education but she love OU and Athens. I hear a lot of students say that they loved their time at OU. For many it’s a wonderful place. I for one will miss visiting her. Good luck to your kids in their decision.

8 Likes

Vanderbilt went from being my son’s first choice to completely off his short list. Vandy recruiters were in San Diego town and presented to a room of about 50 students several months ago. The pitch was super “woke” and really turned off my son. Presenters spent 15 minutes of the first hour being apologetic for not having multiple genders being represented on their student body pie chart, hyper focused on color and race, and appeasing ‘helicopter’ parents. Doesn’t character and merit matter any more?”

@sdnk04 Shame on the representative for not representing the student body. I am very happy both of my Ds are Vanderbilt alums and were exposed to a student body that regularly surveys 1/3 Dem, 1/3 Rep, and 1/3 who couldn’t care less about either party. Vandy is a breath of fresh air vs most of the other top academic universities.

2 Likes

@MonicaMG

Can I ask why Roanoke went off the list after touring?

1 Like

Roanoke is too small for D23. as it turns out, she is really looking to be at a 5000-20,000 student body campus. I also think it was too quiet for her. She isn’t looking for the “party all night long school” and in general thinks a good social outing is more along the lines of “chilling with friends”, but I think she is looking to feel some ambient energy. the overall vibe at Roanoke was really quiet and probably “too relaxed”. I think it would be a perfect fit for the student who really wants a quiet/relaxed campus. But for the student who thrives on ambient energy–I wasn’t getting any sense of that

3 Likes

I am my 4th college student and must have gone on 40-plus tours. I can count on 1 hand how many ended at the bookstore. JMU was blatant, others left you in the vicinity of the Student union that may or may not contain a bookstore.

3 Likes

Bethlehem can be especially appealing in the winter:

5 Likes

@ 3kids2dogs

Northeastern just came out with a new “hype” video. Great video but different.

Hall of Fame - YouTube

This video came out 12 years ago. It is an unofficial student made video that got a lot of attention back then.

Northeastern State of Mind - YouTube

3 Likes

This was an oldie but goodie funny Northeastern video.

3 Likes

Just happened to be in Jamaica for a nature walk at the beginning of the month and discovered Tilly Park on a beautiful Fall day, a few steps from Jamaica High School. Not vouching for what it’s like at 2:AM, but in broad daylight it felt safe.

2 Likes

— Holden Caulfield

4 Likes

We did the typical Northeast / Middle Atlantic tours with each of our kids (large and small, public and private, NH to VA)- probably 50 schools in total, some more than once. The 1st child had the “um” tour guide at a school that the 2nd child chose to attend - go figure. The third child took a series of tours during the late winter/early spring in NE. This child had the nerve to actually ask me how anyone could intentionally choose to spend 4 years in such a miserable environment - even though we live in MetroNY and I went to school in upstate NY. In any event, we headed out to California to see Santa Clara University during April based on a family member’s recommendation. It was like nirvana - Mission architecture and palm trees in Northern CA. The sun was out, the campus was beautiful, green and lush, the tour was amazing, the buildings were well kept, tons of new construction, near public transportation and shops, it had the right major and a focus on undergraduates. I could tell it was the one. We went over to Stanford as well while we were in the area. We felt we shouldn’t miss the opportunity to see it. After visiting we had a discussion of their impressions. One comment that they shared, and which has stayed with me ever since then - Stanford feels like a giant corporate office park with some beautiful old buildings dropped in the middle. Sometimes what works for one doesn’t work for the other.

10 Likes