Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

I’ve been trying to find that information (Rutgers acceptance rate in School of Engineering) but was unsuccessful. That rate converts Rutgers from a high match/safety to a chancier admit for many kids. Where did you find it?

Not true. Florida is the outlier, but still aligns more closely with Rutgers than the others.

School In-State Out-of-State Link
Rutgers $30,172 $47,872 Link
UT Austin $30,752 - $34,174 $59,248 - $67,096 Link
UNC $26,118 $57,370 Link
UF $23,150 $45,428 Link

Regarding COVID shutdowns, “past results are not an indication of future performance”. Two schools of the same price…maybe a factor. Two schools that are $5k apart… nobody is deciding based on the days closed for COVID in 2021.

As for TAs and adjunct faculty, nobody much cares about them until something like this happens. The will end long before anyone making a choice now arrives on campus.

Assuming they get paid more and have a heightened sense of job security (you know…the job security that they took from the full-time professors when those jobs were created, they want that now?), isn’t it possible that Rutgers is treating those folks better than other schools? Wouldn’t Rutgers attract more and better people because of the strike?

What flagship are you going to go where there isn’t a threat of a strike? Rutgers is arguably the least likely to have an issue over the next 4 years.

1 Like

Found that entire list as part of a search. Don’t remember where…

Acceptance rate can be a simple matter of application numbers more than a change to credentials. The admissions profile is higher for the non-A&S schools, but the hyper-focus on STEM the past decade could have more to do with admission rates.

Fortunately I have no more kids to put through college so for me what happened and is happening to the Rutgers class of 2024 informs my happiness with that choice.

After a week of negotiations, it looks like the parties are near an agreement and classes are expected to resume on Monday.

I find it amusing that a single incident that occurred once in 257 years is enough to sway someone’s decision to attend a school. When I was picking colleges I was vacillating between two - SUNY-Buffalo and Rutgers (I was an NY resident, have lived in NJ since college). The news kept showing pictures of Buffalo students digging tunnels in the snow to get to class. I hate snow and picked Rutgers. Of course, my freshman year was the first time in Rutgers’s history that they closed due to snow! If I was one year younger things may have ended up very differently.

2 Likes

UMaine offers NJ kids the Rutgers rate. It’s far, but an interesting alternative for some.

3 Likes

I didnt know that, it was on our list at one point but I thought it was too far, maybe worth another look again.

3 Likes

It seems that unlimited laundry priveleges would have a substantial environmental cost, at least in a setting in which self-regulation is not valued. Of course, in the case of people with excess money, the distinction may be irrelevant.

Unlimited laundry privileges might also result in a less stinky student population? But maybe today’s students are more eager to wash their clothes regularly (at personal cost), compared to when I was an undergraduate?

1 Like

At least anecdotally, that is not the case.

After all, at least in my experience one does laundry when one does laundry—it isn’t really something like, say, eating out where there’s a decision point for whether to do it or not.

3 Likes

D22’s laundry is included with tuition and she definitely only does it when she needs to do it.

agree. let’s not give schools an excuse to charge more for laundry because they want to save the environment.

4 Likes

Regarding UTexas off campus housing, last night I was talking with the dad of a student who will be enrolling as a freshman this fall. He will live in Calloway House in West Campus. The cost is an eye-popping $26k per year including food. Apparently Calloway’s costs rose dramatically after being bought by a PE firm.

Good grief!

I’m trying to get our entire COA to ~$23-26k. Not spend $26k JUST on room & board! Holy mother of God. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We just toured UT. We have a relative that lives in West Campus and it’s about $1800/month for a 1 BR in a high rise. It did have amazing views of the Hill Country.

Since we’re looking at OOS selective schools where everything is about $60k, it didnt seem like a sticker shock since UT’s OOS tuition is lower than some others so the total amount we’d pay all in, including room and board would be comparable. We save $13k in tuition which could go towards better housing.

Or if my D applies and gets into McCombs, she could just live in Jester for a year.

If she gets into McCombs and goes Greek, low chance that she’d want to live in Jester. :slight_smile:

@somethings in the main thread you wrote: “She says the time at Rice is the best part of her life, even with the COVID effect in consideration.”

That’s actually a very powerful qualifier and a great endorsement of the school. Wondering - were they remote? And if so for what duration?

It indeed is very powerful. Rice is a great fit for her. She made great friends there and they went through all sorts of obstacles together. COVID hit their first year at the beginning of spring break. The rest of that semester was completely remote for vast majority except the international students. Second year started with remote classes but students had the option of living on campus in single occupation, which my D chose to do. Some classes moved to hybrid in the spring semester and more students returned to campus. Third year was mainly on campus with optional zoom (for instructors and students). This year is normal I think.

Gotcha. Many thanks.