***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Thank you @ohnjmom @Vitawat345 @PathophysiologyFTW @swordfischer for posting your stats+perspectives on the results thread.

@ROSSX2 I don’t know true reason, but it is safe to assume that it is not raised for weed out purpose as none of BS/MD program has that goal. Counter question, why BS/MD applicants are afraid of so much about GPA requirements if they are so confident in their abilities? When one decides to take Dr Journey, challenges and tests are there at every mode unlike other professions.
I also look at other way, having a reasonably high requirements make students to be more sincere and molding teenagers for necessary traits required for profession.
An iron ore has to go through heating process in order to be steel.

Thanks for your feedback. When did your D graduate from HS and where is she studying right now?

I am at a loss to figure out why my S didn’t get accepted into better programs however feel you also need fate/luck in addition to all the above!

My guess is they trying to bring requirements some what close to their incoming class Median.

As per just updated MSAR, their Median GPA is 3.92 and MCAT Median is 520, so 3.7 is a steal :slight_smile:

BU has the lowest GPA requirement of any BS/MD program even though their incoming class median is 3.83. I never understood why it’s that low. One theory is they are trying attract high stats kids to bring up their UG ranking. Tough to compete with two other schools from same city.

Makes sense!

@PPofEngrDr - Are you a Metallurgy major?

@GoldenRock i visited campus beforehand and didnt like the vibe, also the TAMU interview was on the same day as ECCM interview and I weighed the pros and cons and ultimately chose TAMU (thankfully I got in!)

@PPofEngrDr I actually really like TAMU’s program, UG school is decently ranked and their med school is cheap, plus ill be paying very little out of pocket and only 3 hours from home. I havent found their match list for 2020 but many end up going to Baylor/Scott&White which is nice to hear. I have no issue about it being binding, their med school seems to be fine, but my concern is whether Im missing out on something by not attending USC or UF.

Financing will play a big role in my decision.

@PathophysiologyFTW

That is too bad. Wish schools give choices for interview. Anyhow you were not that impressed. Understood some students like small college and not much to do and some prefer big campus and lot of activities. Agree Tulsa, OU have contrast.
Except for the UG, MD program is same and changeable from ECCM to OU regular.

With what you have said above, TAMI seems a better choice than trying out in USC/UF. Take time and make whatever you feel absolutely comfortable. Once made, don’t ever look back. Finally you can always do whatever you want if you have the determination. It is a long and windy road ahead. GL.

@srk2017 but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night :smiley:

@PathophysiologyFTW you had answered your own deliberation, TAMU will save you tons of money, not just some pocket change for a Dr.

Since my child went through the HPME program, I heard the same thing. NU is trying to increase their stats for ranking purposes.

@priapat

You have 2 very good choices. Let him decide whatever to his liking. Agree with you, it is very hard to predict and it is a total package and trigger points for each school differs.

Would you mind posting where did you first child went for UG and MD. Minimal info to get a feel of student and parents experience.

I just talked to two Med students who interviewed at AMC for residency this year. They told me that AMC does not have a full blown EHR system but a basic system which will show you the patient information in an electronic format (but not editing capabilities). It seems that for several years they have been discussing a full fledged EHR system.

HPME off course. My older finished that program and so had the opportunity to see it from the inside. Great UG, excellent match, and lots of research and clerkship opportunities inside the large Northwest hospital system. Feinberg is also a higher ranked program compared to BU. But NU does not give out any scholarships to UG since it is a needs based system. Not sure about BU.

D is a junior now and got provisional admission to LKSOM in Philadelphia this week as Temple PPHS. All she needs is to submit the official application when AMCAS opens. She had a few other BS/MD admissions. I was impressed with your S’s profile not really comparing with D. She has full tuition scholarship at Temple University for UG. Both LKSOM and SKMC are peer institutions in Philadelphia.

May be they want to make HPME kids be competitive when they matriculate to medical school. From this angle, BU is a much safer choice.

@NoviceDad no he doesn’t. His brother went to Case so he’s seen the campus.
Unfortunately Brown we haven’t visited.
He’s obviously concerned about stressing us on the financial aspect of Brown
we want to pay for the UG part, and we are ok with the difference.

@goldenrod - his brother is a Sr. In Case
he is a decent student. GPA 3.7
Legacy for my younger son in case.
He has written his MCAT and scored a 509 and will apply this cycle. What are his chances for med school?

The GPA 3.7 is fine but MCAT is below average MCAT ( ~512 ) for US medical school matriculants. May be he should also include DO schools in his list of schools to apply.

@priapat

Thought he is already in Medical college. Agree with @grtd2010 that MCAT score is low for ORM. It is always best to be well prepared (in all aspects) for the 1st cycle. So definitely he should prepare well and do another attempt. Also ensure his ECs are in pretty good shape. If needed (most likely) best take a gap year. If not ready to wait, definitely apply to DO schools also.