***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Need stats, competitiveness of HS, scholarships at UGs, family financial strength and students and parents expectations as per medical career to give an opinion. Otherwise if you are sure about being doctor take BSMD (bird in hand) or traditional path is not as bad as BASMD advocates claim responses :smile:

Thank you @Vicky2019 for your perspective!
Could you please elaborate more on WHY Ivy undergrad route usually requires gap years?

I guess ultimately it depends on how much effort Iā€™d like to put intoā€¦ the sweet spot of work/life balance is what Iā€™d like to have for my undergrad experience. (i.e. work hard yet still have time to enjoy a normal college experience)

Thank you @rk2017 for your POV!
I am seriously debating between Penn and Duke as right now. ā€¦

Another factor is: as my family live in California, Iā€™m planning to come back to Cali eventually for medical school (Stanford, UCLA, CUSF) if possible. I heard top medical schools prefer to have fresh blood from other schools other than themselvesā€™ā€¦i.e. if I go to UCLA for UG, I may not have higher change to get into UCLA med schoolā€¦vice versa for Duke and Penn. Is that true?

I heard UCLA doesnā€™t give any preference to their UGs.

How much time did you spend on studying to get As in HS?

Well, we obviously are not talking about the same set/type of people :slight_smile:

But, seriously - I assumed all serious students who apply to BS/MD needed to first answer the question -ā€œBSMD or Top UGā€ before proceeding with BSMD applications. According to me, this is the most important choice before even applying to BS MD programs!

@md2be2028

Choose between whatever you have finalized Penn/Duke/UCLA based on your criteria for UG selection. Do not spend too much time whether if I study in their UG the chances are more or less to get admission to their COM. These factors are the noisy factors and total distraction. Lot of times we tend to spend/waste 90% of energy on 10% of factors which no one knows and spend 10% of energy which matters 90% of the time.

For example, is GPA critical? absolutely. If you can get get GPA some ball mark number 3.8 or so in Duke / Penn / UCLA, then just go for for it.
Can you score at least 515+ MCAT score. Is your UG selection matters for this. Absolutely not. You study and score in MCAT.
Can you do all the ECs in any of the 3 colleges? Absolutely. All the schools have good extensive research and neighborhood has / should have under-served population and / or hospitals to validate your passion.

Second, there is nothing wrong about dreaming big, which is important especially at your age. But donā€™t get hung up, I want to find a UG so that I will get in to Stanford / UCSF / UCLA medical college. Some time take one step at a time. It is too early to worry or focus on that aspect. First select a UG and do well and see you are in the right trajectory for your GPA and ECs. Worry about college list to apply when in junior year 6 months before you apply for regular MD cycle.

Though CA has many medical colleges, few of them highly ranked (human nature we are obsessed with ranking) and CA produces maximum of MD applicants because of extensive and huge public UC schools and demography which is influenced by parents than allowing students to find their passion.

One of the reasons why I think ivy route to medical school requires gap years is because of a few people I know since they were little -

I know a few people ā€“

1. Harvard undergrad. A few gap years before Stanford
  2. UChicago undergrad. One gap year before med school
  3. Columbia undergrad (premed) with lot of research. Decided to take a management consultancy job]
  4. Johns Hopkins undergrad (premed) with lot of research. Actually, applied to 30+ medical schools. Decided to take a job in a Biomedical research firm.
  5. There are a few other kids who are currently studying in IVY leagues as premed but have not graduated yet.

However, there are many reasons why students choose BS MD path and decline seats to IVY/Top UGs. These are also the same reasons why I feel taking the IVY route is tougher for medical schools.

Some of the reasons are ā€“

1. They want guaranteed seat in medical school
  2. they feel that they will save time (accelerated programs, avoiding gap years)
  3. they will save money (UG scholarship)
  4. they want to avoid hard-work, stress required to prep for Medical school admissions (BSMD requirements are lower for med schools) and want to enjoy their undergrad years before the med school.
  5. If the students have proper stats/ECs for BS/MD programs, they want to avoid the medical application cycle, interview during the undergrad. For example, if a HS student has stellar stats but no medical ECs, they are unlikely to apply BSMD programs)
  6. ORM students have a tougher competition in general for med schools.

Ivy league schools range from #1 (Princeton) to #19 (Cornell). I am assuming the selectivity of these schools varies. The kids who get into these are not of the same caliber. Ivy league is basically a sports league and choose majority of students with solid stats who are also very good/excellent at sports. Also, non-IVY several schools which are equal/better should also be considered, listing some here - MIT, Stanford, UChicago, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, WashU etc.

DISCLAIMER ā€“ These are my opinions only. I am not for other people. Also, I am talking about an average student at IVY/Top UG. Obviously, there will be top students who excel at Ivyā€™s and do not need gap years before medical school.

Not muchā€¦I am a super procrastinator in HS and I managed to get As in all my 15 APs

@md2be2028 - You are getting a variety of opinions. We are sharing what we believe in. What I say to youā€¦is not just for you but for all interested people. No one knows you or your situation. You need to form your own decision and do what is best for you.

Trust me. It is not going to be the same in the college. How many of those AP tests have you got 5s in?

WHy did the kids you know took gap years? Some kids take gap years to get industry experience, while others take gap years to fill the deficiencies (GPA, ECs or no time for MCAP prep).

Also, most students donā€™t mind one or two gap years but parents are totally opposed to it for variety of reasons.

How competitive is your HS? Did you get 5s in all science APs? Any other academic achievements like Olympiads?

I donā€™t disagree with what you are saying, I just have a different way of thinking!

Bull or Bear

Republicans or Democrats

Blue or Red

Top UG or BSMD

Which one is right? It depends, based on their perspective.

I feel teens in this forum need to hear both the sides to form their opinions :slight_smile:

My HS is semi-competitive. I got 10 5s (4 for AP Euro) among the 11 APs I have taken up to now (need to take the last 4 next month). My GPA, SAT, and overall stats ranked as #1 out of ~600.
I did not participate any competition like Olympiads as I donā€™t think our school organize/proactively support those.
I did 2 year university level research at a nearby UC school and had 1 publication based on my research project. I also volunteered and shadowed at a local clinic for 2 years.

Thinking back, I might should apply for some BSMD programsā€¦but I just couldnā€™t (still canā€™t:) fully commit to medical without really exploring much, let alone to lock into one school/location for 7-8 years.

Thank you @GoldenRock! I really appreciate your advice and perspective.

@Vicky2019, @srk2017 I truly appreciate both of your perspectives! It is just hard for me to make a life-long career commitment at 17ā€¦

I am not disputing what you are saying. My question was, do you know why those Ivy kids took gap years?

You are a strong student. Since you are not sure about medicine, my recommendation is got to UPenn. Since you have research experience you should be able to find research easily at Penn.