***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Mahikesh

i’m not sure where you’re getting the 1.5 hour estimate from? just checking google clearly tells me Upenn is about 35 minutes away from TCNJ. It’s very easy to travel from TCNJ to UPenn via the SEPTA and many current students do research there.

Also, TCNJ has a population of 6,580 students (not claiming it’s a big school, however). Unless your daughter’s high school is larger than 6580 students, I find your claim hard to believe.

Furthermore, the ability to finish in two years and pursue any other opportunities like studying abroad, internships at the CDC/Regeneron, is truly unmatched by other programs (more than just the few students who have done 1-year MPHs).

Also, TCNJ has no minimum MCAT req, while NJIT does.

All in all, I believe that if you can pass up a free ride from NJIT and don’t mind the smaller school, TCNJ is a superior program.

For a 35 minute travel you will need a car (or someone to car pool with) and traffic free roads :-).

Relying on public transportation will be usually 2 to 3 times that much. (Change the mode of transportation in Google maps to train from the default car and see).

I am not promoting one over the other, but if one is prepared to travel 1.5 hours each way, studying at NJIT provides accesses to research and ECs at Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Sloan Kettering and few others. That is if one wants to pursue something not available at NJMS which is a block away and can be involved at all the 7 years. Also NJIT is pretty strong in sciences.

@starplatinum

as i said, it is just my opinion on how TCNJ markets to woo NJMS students…and they are successful too…

TCNJ is a great program and it is as good as NJIT or other feeder schools. May be Stevens could be the best UG feeder school out of all…i dont know…

if you do the direction today between TCNJ-UPenn , it will show 40 min for 40 miles since there is no car on the road. when we did last year, with no-covid situation and during peak hour, it showed us much more than one hour and we started wondering how feasible it is during a semester.

in NJIT, you can finish it in 2years and go to MPH in Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, YALE etc… it is purely on kids ability… and the kids who got TCNJ most of the time got both NJIT/TCNJ and vice versa. there is no diff in caliber…

In NJIT, you can go to NIH, Regeneron, etc… and no one stops you…In fact, NJIT has a good career placement where you can get lot of internship opportunities.

https://news.njit.edu/njit-ranks-top-2-nationwide-college-salary-report-payscale

Both in TCNJ/NJIT, students have to take their own initiative… Nothing will be offered in a plate…

NJMS has the same criteria for all feeder schools for MCAT and it doesnt differentiate between feeder schools. NJIT encourages you to get decent MCAT and there is no minimum as well… As per Dean, no one has ever got rejected to NJMS so far because of poor MCAT score or he couldnt remember such scenario.

Yes, my D exaggerated when she said it was like school… our district has 3000+ kids in high school but my daughter went to an academy.

One thing stood out for us in making TCNJ/NJIT decision is NJMS proximity… Rest of them are just gravy…

Hi, I just came across this site, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Rutgers/RWJMS 4+4 program. It doesn’t seem to be as well-known as the TCNJ, NJIT/NJMS program. Is it a good program? Anyone can compare the two medical schools? Thanks for your input.

@Vicky2019

Yes Strategy is one of the major factors. As mentioned earlier, the pattern I have seen in the past is that students have either gone all in for BS/MD programs, applying widely in the process or have only applied to a small set of 6-8 and divided the rest of their time and energy over regular undergrad.

For those belonging to 1 st category, you have the advantage of staying focused and not have to write fancy essays for the regular undergrad applications. But you should be fine to go to a local public college too if it doesn’t work out. If medical career is your ultimate goal in fact it may be better to go to say Penn State and be a top student there than going to UPenn and be a middle of the pack student.

For those going with the second approach, you are already well aware of limiting your chances by applying only to a handful of these programs (no matter how accomplished you may think of yourself) and so should not have any regrets if it doesn’t work out.

Important thing for everyone, both students and parents, is to go into this process with a rather detached frame of mind. That will not only avoid any disappointments, but you are more likely to do well on your essays and interviews and the rest of the process by not draining your mental and emotional energies. The more open you are during this process the more likely you are likely to do well. And in the end, luck plays an important role too. So don’t bother if it favors someone with similar credentials as you do but doesn’t for you. Who knows, it may be for your overall good in the long term horizon?

@sunnyl

you cannot apply for Rutgers/RWJMS program… if you are a presidential scholar, you will invited to apply for this program… Dont know about the program but should be a good one… Both are equally good schools…

Both NJMS and RWJ could merge again sometime in future and they can go up 15 to 20 places up in ranking (for ranking enthusiast) because of their total NIH funding. :slight_smile:

Yes, it was started just couple of years ago. They take only 10 students per year, so may invite some 20-25 for the interview. Highly competitive and usually only a sub set of presidential scholars are invited.

Both RWJS and NJMS are very reputed medical schools.

Today, i come across the below website on mid career pay… For bachelor degree, mid career pay, many T20 schools are way behind regular school… Not to belittle, Northwestern, JHU or Vanderbilt… these schools are way below many low ranked school… There are some ivies/top tier school are at the top… not sure, whether this is a good site…

https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report

Someone was talking about washington and lee… it seems to be better than many T20 schools…

It is as gray area as ranking, as lots of state schools are mix blend from liberal arts, business to engineering, salary is all over the map vs a tech college.

i understand tech heavy college can have higher pay… but many liberal arts college like Washington and Lee are doing much better than many top schools…

I won’t include any UG salary information for BS/MD or traditional route decision purpose.

@PPofEngrDr

Absolutely not. i was surprised to see the student success at later years in all these schools…

@kush22 - Thanks for opening up. Your perspective is/will be really useful. Your D is much stronger after this experience. U Mich is a great college. She can really do well there.

@brainbuilder02 - Thanks for sharing your details. Your example confirms once more that students getting into BSMD need stellar profile. However, this doesn’t automatically result into admission into their top choice programs since the competition is cut-throat. With your work ethics and intelligence, you can excel. Your count down has begun - 8 years to go for becoming a Doctor :slight_smile:

@rk2017 - Thank you for adding structure and providing examples. Both these examples provide clarity regarding the strategy for BS/MD. You are right that having a detached frame of mind helps since emotions can be draining and can keep us from being successful. Luck is chance - if luck favors others now, there is a chance that it can favor us sometime or other :slight_smile:

MIT has a great Biology department. World class. Also many other related areas like Chemistry, Bio Engineering, Nano Technology, chemical and biological engineering etc. You will have abundant opportunities for involving in top research and ECs. But most likely may not be able to involve yourself to just maintain the GPA considering the tough grading, caliber of fellow students, expectations of world renowned faculty and cut throat competition. As a result one may either graduate with a decent GPA but not much ECs to show off during med school applications or vice versa. As a result may have to either pursue master’s or take gap years to fortify ECs. Also they won’t cut you a slack just because you went to a top school. GPA below 3.6 even from MIT may close your med school aspirations.

Few years ago (2016 or 17) remember seeing the profile of a student in the results thread who chose REMS over MIT. From personal acquaintances, know of someone who did chemical and biological engineering there, had to “settle” (as they say often here) for the in state med school, didn’t like it and quit after a year and moved on to management consultant in a big pharma company.

If medicine is not necessarily a must go to career for you or if money making is a consideration, then it it doesn’t matter. You are more likely to get richer and quicker by going to MIT.

@kush22

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

? to you and your family for the hard work, perseverance and for not taking any short cuts. It is because of kids like your child that I believe the future of medicine is in safe hands !!!

Good luck on your journey.

P.S — my child/ORM is a junior and he has made huge sacrifices since 3 years to build a good profile towards a BSMD app. Though he is 35 act and 1590 sat Etc, I don’t expect much success for him in BSMD (as compared to this years ORM profiles who made It) and am very tempted as a parent to propose some short cuts. Of course he makes the final decision.

I think Strategy and Attitude are both important.

When you go into the BSMD application process, one of the things I tell parents is how long drawn the application process is.

I do not think one can be detached - one has to be involved and handle the roller-coaster that the BSMD application process is.

And one has to be prepared for fatigue and rejections. And having the right expectations.
Expect to get >50% rejections from your applications.
For these accomplished kids who apply to BSMD, handling these rejections while still working towards the next application with a positive attitude is important. Something that will help them lifelong.

@helperdad

While it is good to have the right expectations, it is very important that you give your 100+% to the application process.

And when I say you, I mean both the student and parents.

In this process, parents can support the student in a number of ways. One important way is to make sure the child minimizes time spent on forums like this one. Spending more time on CC will not increase your odds of success. It can only increase anxiety. Being on forums is something parents should take over.

Thanks @NoviceDad

Based on the advice on this forum from experts like you - I’m the only one/dad who spends time online forums, my child doesn’t spend any time on these.

You are correct - lot of anxiety due to this forum, especially when even super human profiles don’t get admissions. Luckily my kids don’t take my anxiety seriously :slight_smile: