***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brainbuilder02 & @Vicky2019
Secret souce:

1. Test scores is not everything. My S actually has low scores comparing to average. See reasons below:
  2. Apply broadly, but know yourself. Don’t apply to programs out of reach for your credentials. My son refused to apply to tier 1 & 2 schools because he said it would be a waste of his time… he only applied to tier 3, 4 & 5, got 3 interviews and 2 offers.
  3. Essays are extremely important. He spent so much time starting early July. He easily wrote at least 70 essays. Applicants should be able to passionately persuade the readers why MD!
  4. Letter of recommendations. This is an area often not mentioned because most students don’t see the content of the recommendation letters. We saw the content so we knew what we were submitting. Let’s think about this… why should a student submit a recommendation letter not knowing what is in that letter??? And if a teacher is not volunteerly sharing with you what s/he writes about you for a very important step of preping for your future, do you think they have great (good is not enough, it has to be great) things to say about you? The bottom line, if you don’t see what is written about you, then don’t take the risk of asking them to submit it! And important, don’t submit cookie cutter recommendation letters. You can just tell it when you read them! Remember, if I can tell which one is cookie cutter letter, admission can definitely tell because they read thousands of these letters very year. I truely believe that if it weren’t for the recommendation letters, my S wouldn’t have gotten the interviews and acceptances.
  5. Show you are compassionate about medical and/or helping people! Every applicant is exceptional! Why should they pick you?

Slightly off topic from BS/MD. Looking for feedback on University of Arizona Physiology and Medical Sciences Major offered by the College of Medicine. Its not a true BSMD program but seem to cater to traditional 4 Year MD path.

If you are anyone you know is pursuing this program, appreciate a private message or response here.

Also how does one find how many students are accepted from a school to its MD program.

Is there a Facebook page or similar for the students accepted by Upstate? Thanks!

@Vicky2019 @GoldenRock @NoviceDad @grtd2010 @HiddenCircles @rk2017
Thank you all so much for your advice and insight! I am definitely sure about wanting to become a doctor. I hope to gain a valuable undergraduate experience as well and I really like MIT’s community. I want to do research at MIT too. However, I am worried about getting a good GPA. I understand that high school is not a good comparison to college, but I have a 1580 SAT and am valedictorian of my fairly large high school. Do you think that I would be able to do well at MIT or should I take the safe route at Hofstra BS/MD?

Let us assume you got 800 in SAT I MATH. Do you have any other SAT II score like Chemistry, Physics, Math ? Remember MIT is basically an engineering and applied sciences school. So make an educated guess about how would you do in that environment. Did you ever wanted to be an engineer ? Did you apply to an Engineering program for UG ? These are some tips since most students at MIT will have an engineering mindset. Know yourself.

Most of the time, it is not possible to see letters of recommendation since one has to waive the right to see them as a policy of the school. Some may show them to students but this is not the norm.

@grtd2010 Yes, I got 800 on SAT I Math, 800 on Chemistry SAT II, and 800 on Math SAT II. I am not interested in becoming an engineer but I am interested in the field and like talking to other people about some aspects. I like MIT because of its research.

You should seriously consider MIT and see if you would like to take the risk by giving up Hofstra BS/MD. You may have to take 1+ gap years to do ECs if you can not do them during regular 4 yrs at MIT. GL.

@colllllege1

Let’s put another way. You are definitely capable of doing well at MIT. But if for some reason if it were not to be medicine, what will be your other favorite field of pursuit? Like management, genetic/molecular engineering, nano technology, anything that you will be happy to spend your career in?

I read the blogs someone pointed you at about pre-med at MIT. Don’t remember the dates but guess they are both 5-6 years old at least. The competition keeps increasing year over year. One of the dudes who wrote the blog says pre-med is not mainstream at MIT, so one doesn’t have to worry about cut throat competition like a typical pre-med at other places. However you can’t avoid competing with other mainstream students there in core subjects like Biology, organic chemistry and physics. Perhaps that explains the dude’s low science GPA of 3.5 range (he kind of compensated with 3.9 something from his major/minor if history). Not sure how med schools will look at that scenario in the present day context and if someone with that credentials from MIT will be able to get into the med schools he got into back then.

The other poster gave up Rice/Baylor to go to MIT and don’t think mentioned where she landed.

So think about what else will be of interest to you if not medicine and make your decision accordingly. Also is finances part of the equation, since you may have gotten a full ride at Hofstra undergrad?

@BuckleUpBuckaRoo – Good for you for knowing yourself and planning accordingly. You make it seem so easy :slight_smile:

Wish you the very best!

@gradedu – Thanks for sharing your secret sauce  It does make sense to apply to programs within your reach. I feel future candidates will benefit from your S’s example.

You are right, essays could be considered one of the most important criteria and candidates would benefit by starting earlier (at the beginning of summer) itself. It’s not possible to do justice otherwise, to approx. 18-22 applications that most kids seem to be submitting. Through these essays the kids can also convey their respective unique features.

It’s good that your son was able to request to see the LORs - our S didn’t ask to see the LORs since it is not encouraged in our school system.

Wish your S the very best!

@colllllege1 – The various members conveyed to you that the risk is yours to take. You know yourself better than anyone else. We also do not know your strength – why do you think MIT selected you? You don’t have to share the details with us but you do need to reflect on your own strengths.

Generally, most will feel that it is hard to get a GPA > 3.8 at MIT while also getting experience in research/volunteering/shadowing/MCAT prep.

Some of us felt that you may regret leaving MIT for Hofstra if you end up choosing the BS/MD option. Since we have seen more life than you, we realize there are no guarantees in life. Opportunities also depend on luck among other factors. Luck may favor you some of the time but not all of the time…

MIT is the best college for engineering/applied science. I would really find it hard to give that up for Hofstra. If you search in google for “attend MIT as a premed” you will find some examples of students who succeeded. Also, someone in this forum mentioned that another student few years back choose MIT and was able to progress to medical school without any gap years.

Success depends entirely on you. You can be successful anywhere.

Ultimately, It’s up to you. It is your risk to take.

Wish you the very best!

colllllege1 wrote: »

@grtd2010 Yes, I got 800 on SAT I Math, 800 on Chemistry SAT II, and 800 on Math SAT II. I am not interested in becoming an engineer but I am interested in the field and like talking to other people about some aspects. I like MIT because of its research.

@colllllege1
You have great stats. Just out of curiosity, what other bs/md programs did you apply ? What was the outcome - how many interviews from bsmd programs ? Any other bs/md acceptances beside Hofstra ?

@grtd2010,
I must be ignorant that HS policy not allowing students to see letter of recommendation. I wonder why schools have such policy. And I wonder if this is the majority of HS’s.

@gradedu - Did your S disclose in application that he has seen letters before submission?

Majority of MIT admits will have perfect stats. What other achievements you have (subject Olympiads, STEM competitions etc…) ? What’s your intentded major and research area?

@JBourne5 my S got acceptance into FAU. As FAU is a relatively new program & far away we were in a dilemma whether to proceed forward or not.

How does your S like it at FAU? Is he in the Wilkes or the UHP program? Also, when did he joined in FAU. can I contact you offline please. Thank you.

Thank you @JBourne5
It is good to get first hand knowledge from existing student/parent.

@colllllege1

Unfortunately none of us can take any decision for you.
Only you and your parents can.

Read the MIT blogs and reach out students at both MIT and Hofstra. Ask them questions and get your doubts cleared.

As others have suggested, you and your parents know your strengths, weaknesses, aspirations and fears.
Take you parents guidance if you are still in a dilemma. They have your best interest in mind.

@gradedu

Teachers and counselors tend to keep LORs confidential. It is a general academic practice. Most schools as well as Common App asks you to waiver your Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) rights. FERPA gives you the right to look at your academic records.

Depending on your teacher or counselor and your luck, your teacher or counselor may show you the letter and ask for your feedback or revisions. if they do, make the full use of that opportunity.

My view on LORs is very clear - ask only those teachers who know you well and will give you a NON cookie-cutter LOR.