Ohio State Marching Band

Anyone have personal experience with the Ohio State marching band and how fun/rigorous it is? Do freshman get to perform in the halftime shows typically? (in non pandemic times!) How time consuming is it? Thanks for any insight into what the experience would be like.

tbdbitl is the best college band in the country so yeah its very hard to get in and its very rigorous. Athletic band is much less stressful

1 Like

Thanks for answering. The marching band is the interest though, not athletic bands. So trying to figure out what the commitment would be and if it’s realistic to do it.

The commitment is a significant time commitment equivalent to that of a part-time job. According to a page I found, they rehearse for 2+ hours a day M-F, plus all of the pre-game prep they do on game days. I would take a look at this page which includes information about the tryout process. If the student is very serious in a pursuit to be part of TDBITL, I would suggest keeping an eye on the website for information about Summer Session.

1 Like

My husband was in the band for 4 years. You didn’t get much response, and I am here for our son’s admission into OSU, so I’ll weigh in to help.

It is physically challenging and the time commitment at that time was a few hours a day from end of summer? through all of fall and then again to prepare for any bowl game trips that come. Expense to members (at that time) wasn’t much. Trips were paid for. All music must be memorized with often a week’s notice.
The band got into a lot of trouble when after years of sexual harrassment they were finally called out on it and lost their director who didn’t enhance that but also didn’t do enough to stop it.
The marching technique is chair step, mostly 8 to 5, at a rigorous tempo (see ramp entrance videos) It is
Not a bad idea to begin practicing and work on that ability to quickly memorize music.
Being in OSUMB is more physically demanding than high school band.

Many non music majors in the band…but the band does detract from the quality of the School of Music in a many ways. My husband enjoyed it at the time, but kept his head on straight about it’s minimal value. that is important.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Personally I think it’s too much of a commitment - I think there is a sadness from missing out on senior year marching band and our high school has an amazing program.

Yesterday the student paper had an article about Marching Band.

If you’re a candidate whos never been in the band before, your music audition (and other circumstances like the current roster of the row) will determine what row you get placed into. For example Solo Trumpets make up have of A and X rows while 2nd Trumpets make up half of B/T and S row. Each row has 14 people, 12 regular members, and 2 alternates. Those 2 alternates are sought out to challenge “regulars” to try and earn a spot and improve their marching. Just because you’re an alternate however does not mean you are a bad player or marcher, it just means you weren’t competitive enough to get a regular spot when you made the band. Typically younger/less experienced alternates will march a couple games in the season. Older alternates could possibly challenge someone the first time and earn a regular spot the rest of the season. It just depends on the roster. Squad leaders will typically grade challenges (and yes they can get challenged too… but why). This challenge system is easily one of the most stressful, yet best things that this band does because it keeps everyone on their toes and keeps the band in shape. As you can imagine the actual experience of marching and playing at football games is something indescribable especially when the croud enjoys the show. Helps you march better lol. If you want to know more I can answer more questions

Hi and thanks so much your message popped up - but this was 2 years old and I my kid just finished her sophomore year at another college! She actually does love music and ended up at a college specializing in it and studies music and plans to work in the industry. Thanks for your response though - and I hope other kids are loving the marching band!