Okay, I'll be serious and ask a serious question

<p>Searching for 200 level classes that my son might be able to take if he tests out of freshman English.</p>

<p>Particularly looking at Honors English Lit or Honors American Lit. Both are closed. Zero slots available.</p>

<p>So I dig a little deeper looking for history classes (100 and 200 levels) and whatnot… nothing.</p>

<p>I know this has been discussed on the board with respect to freshman level courses. But how in the hell is he supposed to take any sophomore-level courses if they’re all closed?</p>

<p>I need a drink.</p>

<p>I don’t know the answer to your question but based on previous postings try logging on tomorrow (2nd day of Bama Bound) around 9:00 am Central time and again on Friday (2nd day of another Bama Bound) and see if any of the classes you are looking at have any additional seats :)</p>

<p>We are with you at the last Honors Bama Bound in July so who knows by then…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>A serious post requires a serious response. May I suggest Ernest Hemingway’s Death in the Afternoon?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Roll Tide, slippy.</p>

<p>Slippy, go to the Fall 2011 listings and see how many seats those classes will eventually have. that will give you an idea if more seats will open or not.</p>

<p>Consider some of the UHP classes as well. Dr. Sharpe mentioned that more UHP sections will be opening over the summer. Looking at Fall 2011 probably won’t tell you much about UHP classes, but consider adding some to your son’s schedule…at least the ones that fulfill Core Req’ts…like the Fine Arts ones.</p>

<p>What AP credits will he likely have?</p>

<p>Honors English Lit (EN 215) ended up with four seats unfilled Fall 2011. Honors American Lit (EN 219) ended up with three seats unfilled Fall 2011. FWIW.</p>

<p>Also, HY 205 (Honors American Civ) had three empties Fall 2011.</p>

<p>This is off the top of my head… and not set in stone… but if he gets the requisite scores on the tests he just took, he should have as follows: English (6 hours), Biology (8), Latin-Virgil (14), US History (6), US Govt (3), Calculus AB (4)</p>

<p>I just don’t understand all this registration stuff, really. Makes my head hurt.</p>

<p>malanai, I live in the city where absinthe was last legal. We still have bars named things like “Olde Absinthe House.” Hmmm… I hear them calling me now…</p>

<p>Slippy, you are not alone in needing a drink. Not sure if the stress of the college planning or the crowd we hang out with here that does that to a person. :)</p>

<p>slippy2000: Just wanted to mention that your son does not have to take a 100 or 200 level class. He can take a 300 or 400 level class as a freshman. M2CK’s son, I believe, and my son took 300 level classes and had no trouble with them as freshmen. I’ve known professors who pile on the work in a lower level class, but do the opposite in a higher level class. So do not allow the level to worry you.</p>

<p>Heck, I don’t even drink and need a drink. </p>

<p>Oldest graduating, getting ready for college, picking classes, Bama Bound in two days – middle turning 16 two days ago – youngest turning 13 in a month… oh, planning and going on a senior trip (cruise) with oldest and a few of her friends in mid Jun…
Trying to drown all this out with Diet Mountain Dew</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>According to Wikipedia:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You might want to consider switching to the absinthe, BamaAF. For your health, of course. :)</p>

<p>Sophomore-level classes will open up in spurts. Students who are leaving UA after their freshman year may not have disenrolled yet and others may end up switching majors and thus need to take different courses than they are currently registered for. Online sections of popular classes will open up in late July for on-campus students, which allows for more scheduling options.</p>

<p>Part of the appeal of family weekend is that parents can have a relaxing drink on the Quad while tailgating and then attend an Alabama football game.</p>

<p>Absinthe, along with Cuban rum and cigars, is legally (though the US Treasury recommends against the latter two) sold 100 miles from my house. While prices are high, many people enjoy going up and getting things that cannot be easily found in the US. For example, the US versions of Cadbury Chocolates and Rolos are very different from the non-US versions.</p>

<p>Best of luck in the course selection process.</p>

<p>This is off the top of my head… and not set in stone… but if he gets the requisite scores on the tests he just took, he should have as follows: English (6 hours), Biology (8), Latin-Virgil (14), US History (6), US Govt (3), Calculus AB (4)</p>

<p>Oh that’s right…Bama unbanned Virgil…just kiddin’</p>

<p>So, with the 14 Virgil credits, 6 go to FL and 8 go to Humanities. </p>

<p>Behavioral Science complete (SB)</p>

<p>Sequence complete with AP US. However, need 12 credits for HI and SB, so still need 3 credits here…maybe take Psych? Or is there a UHP class that is HI or SB?</p>

<p>Frosh Comp likely complete, otherwise take En 103</p>

<p>Science complete.</p>

<p>Math complete.</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>Still needs a Fine Arts class.</p>

<p>Still needs a Literature class. Does your son like British Lit? American Lit? What??</p>

<p>Once FA and L are complete, then Humanities will be complete.</p>

<p>What majors do you think would interest him? Business? Econ? Advertising? How about The Classics since he has the Latin background? </p>

<p>Has he looked into New College where he can design his own major?</p>