One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I don’t know how you found this thread to add a comment! ?

@intparent
Which of the three stories is “successful control of nature”? I found all three human interventions to be at best our foible attempts to deter imminent disasters and only succeeded at kicking the can down the road.

Still reading Less, page 55! jury is still out for me.

@makemesmart I thought I was probably the only person who liked Ng’s Everything I Never Told You more than Little Fires.

I enjoyed Daisy Jones and the Six. A rock band and a beautiful young singer in CA in the 70s, written in an interview style. Enjoyable summer read and R. Witherspoon’s production company planning a miniseries.

@makemesmart, I thought the one where they diverted the lava to save the port was successful. The Mississippi River one is just clearly an exercise in futility. And the California housing one just make humans look stupid.

My favorite Mcphee book was the one about Bill Bradley/basketball. I have zero interest in basketball, but I thought that book was great because it made a subject that bored me to tears readable.

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant. I loved it. It grabbed me from the beginning. So glad that I read it.

Between the world and me is a great audio presentation. I think this book should be mandatory high school reading. .

@VaBluebird,

I’m reading Where The Crawdads Sing right now. Wonderful book.

A person who came up to me in the airport, as I was reading it, told me she had just heard the author speak and that she had been thinking of writing this story for 40 years.

I just noticed this thread is going on 12 YEARS old! Wow.

Just put a hold on “where the crawdads sing” at my local library - I am at #655 of 58 copies! Estimated wait time “23 weeks!” It. Is. Popular!

Just finished reading The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. What a story! A sad but optimist love story. Recommended highly.

This thread makes me feel good about my bookclub. We read crawdads and liked it.i was less enthused about Tatoo artist, I think because of the theme. When we read Little Fires, someone was from Shaker Heights and could explain the layout of the town. the Library wasn’t an easy nor exciting read, but fascinating. We had the head librarian of our city join our group, and all learned so much about how each library has its own problems. For example, one serves as a daycare for middle school students, and another, the homeless.

Eleanor Oliphant is a terrific audio book. Not finished yet but I am LOLing on my bike rides.

“The Word is Murder” - Anthony Horowitz. Our local Librarian highly recommended this clever book. I would never be drawn to a title with “murder” in it, but enjoyed this quick read.

I love Anthony Horowitz. He has three adult mysteries and all are good. The word is murder, the sentence is death, and magpie murders. Magpie is a cozy and the sentence is the second book in the series (the word being the first). They are fun and clever. Your kids most likely loved his alex rider books.

Finished Less! And I really enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever recommended the book. (If I remember correctly, the folks who love this book also enjoyed “heart’s invisible fury”. ) It took a little to get into Mr. Arthur Less, our main character, but man do my appreciation of him grow! And it is kind of nice to “celebrate” my big birthday along with Mr. Less’. A beautiful love story in my mind, even though I am so happy for his “Iliad” to end, I didn’t want the book to end.

“Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End” was recommended by another CC user and is an excellent book. I think everyone with aging parents should read it. It’s helped me understand the hard conversations I need to have with my parents.

@MaineLonghorn

I also loved Being Mortal. My parents are long gone, but it got me thinking about what I am going to want & how to effectively communicate it to my adult children — who may want easy solutions that “keep me safe”.