One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Recently finished “The Testaments” by Margaret Atwood. It is a sequel to “The Handmaid’s Tale”. Aunt Lydia is one of the narrators, the others are June’s two daughters. I found Agnes’ voice the most compelling.

Apparently, Derek Black, mentioned above, will be interviewed on “On Being” being broadcast tonight on my local NPR station.

@mom2and,

What did you think of the interview? I didn’t catch it.

Loved The Nickel Boys! By Colson Whitehead, who wrote The Underground Railroad.

Finished two CC recommendations: “Lillian Boxfish takes a walk” and “Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine”, I enjoy Oliphant more, as Eleanor is such an endearing character and the whole story is heartwarming. Ms. Boxfish is pretty cool but I didn’t get to attach to her the way I did with Ms. Oliphant. And Ms. Oliphant loves Ms. Bronte and Ms. Austen too! ?

Thank you @mom2and for the heads up. Here is a link to the unedited interview: https://www.wbez.org/shows/on-being/unedited-derek-black-and-matthew-stevenson-with-krista-tippett/6d8e247f-0c49-4f7f-b0e5-84872fa091c6

Thanks @calla1. I haven’t heard it yet as it probably was on early yesterday morning and repeating tonight when I will be at bookgroup. On Being can be listened to here. Not sure how different that is from Calla1’s link.

https://onbeing.org/

“How in the world did he get to go to New College? It’s hard to imagine his family approving of the school. That’s a story in itself!”

Like a previous poster said his family believed him to be so smart and independent thinking that the college couldn’t change him. They were absolutely correct that he is extremely smart ( truly a brilliant guy) and independent thinking they just failed to understand where that would lead him.

I thought the book portrayed his family, especially his father, with a very thoughtful lens. His father truly adored him and the book makes it clear he still loved him even after he rejected the views he was raised with. His father was so pleased and proud that his son had “ all of his good qualities and none of his bad”. He was thrilled that his son was smarter and more disciplined and better with people and more patient than the father was. Things that led Derek to eventually meet people who would help change his world view. His family was also extremely supportive of him growing up. Spent loads of time with him and explored with him areas of interest and taught him to “ think for himself”. Again helping to lead him where he went.

Even David Duke, his “ godfather” comes across not as a caricature and his part in the family is definitely a story in itself. He was married to and had children with Derek’s mom and was best friends with his dad. He and the mom divorced. A few years later she was reacquainted with Derek’s dad, they fell in love (I guess racist was her “ type”) married with Dukes full support and then sort of blended their families spending holidays together and seeing each other often. When Derek’s father went into a clinical depression after his son renounced his views it was Duke who tried to really help him. Making despicable people like Duke and the dad fully realized make this an even better book.

Can’t believe I’m only just spotting this thread. So many interesting titles mentioned here. I may need to set aside a whole weekend just to skim this thread. Nonetheless, here’s my contribution.

I recently finished Bruce Goldstein’s work on cognitive psychology and everyday human action. Deeply interesting and informative. Didn’t realize psychology weighed in on the consciousness or mind/body debate. It also highlights the tensions between the more material behavioral approach and cognitive psych. I’d like to re-read this in a while just to make sure I’m getting the best out of it.

If anyone’s interested: https://www.bartleby.com/textbooks/cognitive-psychology-connecting-mind-research-and-everyday-experience-mindtap-course-list-4th-edition/9781285763880/solutions

Has anybody read Time After Time by Lisa Grunwald? If so, I’m having problems understanding the ending. If you could PM that would be great. It’s driving me nuts.

I enjoyed Margaret Atwood’s Testaments more than I thought I would. Anyone else?

@bookworm
I just finished Testaments and I don’t think it deserves the Booker prize. I have not read the other winning book nor other books on the short list. Imho, it won the accolades because of its political messages, not its own literary merits. Love to hear others’ opinions too.

Makeme smart, I don’t want to ruin it for others . Having heard Atwood on TV, I was prepared to dislike the book. Handmaidens tale created another universe, this book was superficial. I wanted more from Aunt Lydia Re: her ultimate plan.

No more spoilers from me

I am reading “The End is Nigh (Apocalypse Triptych Book 1)” and really enjoying it. It’s a book of sci-fi short stories about the time just before an apocalypse. Ben Winters, the author of “The Last Policeman,” is one of the writers.

The twist on this anthology is that there is a second book about the time during an apocalypse, and a third one about the time after. The editors invited the authors included in the first book to submit stories for the second two books. So as I read the first book, I’m looking forward to the continuation of the stories! If you like sci-fi, I think you’ll enjoy this series. :slight_smile: If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can read it for free, too.

Audio books, Carnegie Hill, meh. Not sure why I persisted.

The Reckless Oath we made, kind of fabulous.

Just purchased the audiobook Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators by Ronan Farrow.

Will review when finished.

Ronan Farrow’s “war on peace” is excellent. He is so young yet has done so much, amazing talents. Will look for his new book. Thanks for the recommendation @Nrdsb4

Just back from a road trip.

Listened to How Not to Die Alone & David Spade’s A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World.

Thanks for the recommendations; enjoyed them both.

About 3/4 finished with Ronan Farrow’s book. It’s completely engrossing.

There are some sleazebags running NBC news.

If anyone reads Cameron Douglas’ memoir plz post your review!

I heard a long interview with him on Preet Bharara’s podcast and I’m intrigued.