One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just read the newest book by Kevin Kwan (of Crazy Rich Asians fame.) I didn’t like it as much as that series. It was hard to like any of the characters who were more paper thin than those in CRA. And an even thinner plot. CRA had Rachel as the normal person in the midst of the rich craziness, but Love and Vanity doesn’t have that. The protagonist didn’t feel real to me, and the love interest possibly less so. Lots of good satire as usual. Just no real story.

I tried reading “Beach Read” by Emily Henry. Almost made it to 100 pages, but I didn’t like her writing style and could not connect with the main character. Life is short and my reading list is long - I’m moving on.

@FallGirl Hmmmm . . .I just brought home that book thinking it would be a light read. Maybe not.

Just finished Two Truths and a Lie. A quick read and distraction but no great literature.

Just started the newest Scott Turow - The Trial. Maybe after this I will go back to something a little weightier.

Anyone else looking forward to Ken Follett’s new book, The Evening and the Morning, a prequel to The Pillars of the Earth?

@college_query – Oh, many, I loved Pillars of the Earth back when I read it eons ago. It really stuck with me. I think half my knowledge of that time period comes from that book, lol! Didn’t know there’s a prequel coming. I hope it’s good!

I started Luster by Raven Leilani. It’s not grabbing me. I’m staying with it because a friend (whose judgment I trust) highly recommended it. I will probably keep going.

I have this thing–once I start a book, I almost always finish it. In recent years, the only book I hated and didn’t finish was one that everyone loved–the Elena Ferrante (My Brilliant Friend). I need to adopt @FallGirl 's attitude–life is short and the reading list too long.

My ‘rule’ is 50 pages. If I’m not feeling it by then, I move on…

I might go 100…but I don’t finish every book I start.

I know I read Pillars of the Earth but can’t remember the plot…it’s certainly been a while.

I read it a long time ago too, @dragonmom since it came out in 1989! It takes place in the 12th century and is about the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, England. There were two sequels, World without End (2007) which takes place 150 years later, and A Column of Fire (2017) set in Elizabethan England. The prequel takes place at the end of the Dark Ages starting in 997.

Are the sequels good? I didn’t read them.

I didn’t care as much for World Without End, but loved A Column of Fire.

And I absolutely LOVED Follett’s Century Trilogy. I highly recommend it. The first one is Fall of Giants.

I enjoyed reading the sequels to The Pillars of the Earth. Did NOT enjoy the mini-series they made of the first two books. And I also loved the Century Trilogy.

I second this. Three great books.

Is anyone else watching Tara Westover at st. Mary’s? She wrote Educated. I had no idea she was so pretty. I expected she would be articulate and she is.

Yes, I did. Very good. I was glad to see and hear her though I had to bow out early.

My favorite book of the summer was Sharks in the Time of Saviors. Story of a Hawaiian family, particularly the three siblings. At age 7, the middle child Nainoa falls off the boat on a sailing trip and is miraculously saved by a shiver or sharks. There’s mysticism, family dynamics, dashed dreams, tragedy, and more as the novel grapples with the concept of “home.” The author’s voice is dazzling: fresh, unique, unlike anything I’ve read before.

Also loved the Century Trilogy. And the Warmth of Other Suns should really be read by all. I look forward to reading Caste, Wilkerson’s new book.

We read The Vanishing Half in my book group. Most thought it was good, but flawed., especially when the daughters/nieces were the main characters. However, generated good discussion.

Just finishing The Splendid and the Vile and find myself choking up at the many , many instances of what true leadership looks like. Where are our heroes today?

“The Overstory” by Richard Powers… I am not a good enough writer to do justice to a review so please check it out and see if you might be interested. It is really amazing. Pulitzer Prize winner. It will stay with me.

2 Likes