One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

@VaBluebird – that was one of the best books I have read in years!

1 Like

I loved “The Overstory” too!

1 Like

I just finished The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. How many of us go through life in a rut?

After recently rewatching the movie The Descendants, I just read the book. It was interesting to compare - so much was the same but the book added interesting background and helped me understand the narrator’s motives and growth.

I just finished Ken Follett’s The Morning and the Evening, and it did not disappoint.

Not long ago I read a short nonfiction book he wrote last year on the history of Notre Dame, a short history of the meaning of cathedrals. In fact, in the last couple of months I’ve read mostly nonfiction: Code Girls, Rage, Too Much and Never Enough, Hoax, His Truth is Marching On (John Meacham’s book about John Lewis), Pelosi, The Room Where it Happened, The Biggest Bluff, Bezonomics, Why We’re Polarized. Some were better than others, but there was something to like in each, and it’s been an education.

Just read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

I didn’t know he had a new book out; will have to look for it!

My Name is Asher Lev. Now onto the sequel.

@momoffour - I read that book decades ago. A good reminder that I would like to read it again.

Currently reading Grit by Angela Duckworth, who is a psychology professor at Penn. If you’ve never taken a psychology course in the past, you’ll learn a lot about why we behave the way we do.

On a related note, Professor Duckworth and Stephen Dubner (author of Freakonomics,) recently started a weekly podcast called “No Stupid Questions.” I’ve never read the latter’s novel, but I found the podcast to be extremely interesting, and I’d recommend it to those who like listening to podcasts. :smile:

Another vote for Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. Just finished it. Really good - up there with his Man Called Ove.

@kiddie I’ve been really struggling with Anxious People. I’ve read and enjoyed several of Backman’s novels so not sure why I’m having a hard time with this one as it gets great reviews. Maybe it’s my frame of mind? The characters are just so…annoying, mainly in the way they speak to each other. Not giving up on it and pretty sure how it’s going to end, though the path to get there is not not making it too enjoyable. Perhaps I am alone in this!

It took me a while to get around to reading The Schrödinger Girl by @mythmom , but I finally did. It was a fun read, very hard to put down. What’s not to love? A little science, a little psychology, a bit of Greek myths, a bit of art, a lot of Beatles lyrics. It was weird realizing that the protagonist/narrator was almost exactly my parents’ age. We arrived back in the US from having two overseas tours (Japan then Africa) and they were pretty shell-shocked by how much the country had changed. They got to know a lot of parents who were considerably younger than them from my youngest brother who was in kindergarten at the time. And while they weren’t quite as daring as the narrator, much of what he experienced rang true. I remember vividly the awfulness of 1968 - I was in junior high at the time with many friends who cared about politics.

@momoffour , I read The Chosen for a religion class at a Catholic HS almost 50 yrs ago, and today it’s still one of the most enjoyable books I’ve ever read! Turned me into a Potok fan.

I just finished Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan. The second book I’ve read of hers recently. I find her very readable. Literary light, I guess. Good characters and lots of strong observations and sentences. Decent plot. Overall a good discovery.

I’m a little behind in my reading! Reading ones popular decades ago.

1 Like

I haven’t read this book but I saw it while looking through the kindle book deals. It’s called The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us. It sounds good. Right now it’s only $2.99.

Hello everyone. I am new here. I like reading books so thanks for the information.

I read all of Potok’s books and liked each one. I probably read them 20 years ago. I’ve been reading memoirs recently and just finished one (it’s old 1978) by Harry Crews called A Childhood: The Biography of A Place. It’s grizzly but one of the best memoirs of I’ve read.

@4kids4us Totally agree with you on Anxious People. I did not really care for it which surprised me because I really really liked Ove and Beartown.
A book I did find fantastic is Transcendent Kingdom.