One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I loved the Stephanie Plum books, at least the early ones. Laugh out loud funny!

The later ones, I was getting irritated with her and I eventually had to stop reading them. No spoilers, but maybe other readers of the series will know why.

I agree; I enjoyed the early Stephanie Plum books but not so much the later ones.

@marilyn I also checked out that list and was surprised at some I had never even heard of. Not sure I would have included Circe as fantasy but I guess the myth come to life counts.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Five Children and It by E. Nesbit on the list, one of my all-time childhood (and adult) favorites!

We just read Fleischman in Trouble for one of my book groups. I wasnā€™t sure I would like it from the first few chapters, but found it to be an interesting look at marriage and the complexities of career and kids these days.

Agree Stephanie Plum books are a great distraction and also that the earlier ones are better. But I still keep reading them.

On the Stephanie Plum books, are those best read in order? Going to see if I can borrow some from my digital library :slight_smile:

They are pretty much all standalone novels, and you can jump in at anytime. The cast of characters is constant (and never ages despite the newest book being 27th in the series) and the author gives enough character background in each novel to catch you up.

Iā€™ve read the entire Stephanie Plum series except for the most recent book. I think at this point the author is on autopilot. The earlier books are IMO much funnier and the storylines more interesting. That being said, I give Evanovich credit for continuing to write for all these years (she started the series in 1994). That being said, I read a review of the new book on Goodreads and (this isnā€™t giving anything away) Grandma Mazur gets married!! Iā€™m hookedā€“I want to read it.

1 Like

Iā€™m excited because Iā€™d never heard of that series! One of the books will be the next on my reading list.

I tend to agree. I have also read them all (except Fortune and Glory which Iā€™m in the queue for at the library) and they are a bit formulaic at this point. But they are fun reads. But make no mistake, none of the books are exactly Pulitzer Prize material. ?

Well, ā€œOverstoryā€ is Pulitzer Prize material and a lot of people donā€™t seem to like it, although I am enjoying it greatly. :slight_smile:

I am reading #25 right now and I have also checked out #26. I told the librarian that I would pay for #27 if I was the first to check it out. ( I live in a small town and the library gets about $100 a month for acquisitions. ) I have had to go to a couple of different local libraries keep getting them in order.

I so much wanted Sandra Bullock and Sherri Shepherd. So, I got one of them right. But Heigl. No.

Personally I would read them in order. At least for the first 10 or so. Mainly because there are a few side characters/relationships thatā€¦umā€¦develop from book to book.

And Joe Manganiello should have been cast as Morelli. ?

I have issues with Evanovich and havenā€™t read her books in years.
Humor in crime and mystery is kind of hit or miss. Some Iā€™ve really enjoyed are older and either havenā€™t lasted the test of time or are out of print.

That said:
Elizabeth Peters - her Amelia Peabody are excellent, but her other series are really funny
Lisa Lutz: Spellman series
Joan Hess: Claire Malloy series
Donna Andrews: Meg Langlow books
Nancy Martin: Blackbird Sisters
Jennifer Crusie
MaryKay Andrews

For more explicit, Darynda Jonesā€™s paranormal ā€œGraveā€ series and her new one ā€œA Bad Day for Sunshineā€

Not necessarily humor, but Iā€™ve been enjoying Sherry Thomasā€™s Lady Sherlock books and Deanna Rayborneā€™s Victoria Speedwell series (plus her other books)

I finally got around to reading The Great Believers. Very good on audio. I was sucked right in.

@Marilyn interesting fantasy list - Iā€™d read almost half of them. A few Iā€™ve read other books by the author and am not that interested in perusing, but I am intrigued by a bunch of them. Thanks for the tip! (And yes, some of my favorites arenā€™t there!)

Anybody mention The Feather Thief? Amazing glimpse into the world of high end Victorian salmon fly tying. People spend astronomical amounts buying exotic feathers, many from protected or even extinct species. Young man got hooked on the hobby and broke into the British Museum to steal irreplaceable scientifically significant bird carcasses. Donā€™t want to give away too much more.

How to win friends and influence people :slight_smile: (finally got around to reading it!)
Is the digital age version worth adding ?
Has anyone read the 7 habits of highly effective people ?