One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Replying to myself to say The Atlantic just published a piece on the very disturbing killing in Delia Owens’ past (author of “Where the Crawdads Sing”): 'Where the Crawdads Sing' Author Wanted for Questioning in Murder - The Atlantic

And what the heck, on casting a British actress in that movie??

Also to pay the tax on book recommendations, I am currently reading “The Starless Sea” by Erin Morgenstern and liking it enough that I now want to go back and read “The Night Circus” which I passed by when it was popular a few years ago.

2 Likes

both Night Circus and Starless Sea are excellent

5 Likes

I’m excited to read The Night Circus next!

British actors playing Americans seems commoner and commoner. Seems like half of the Stranger Things cast is British and I had no idea.

1 Like

Damnation Spring by Ash Davidson was excellent. It’s fiction, but explores the very real impacts of logging on both the familial and environmental ecosystem.

1 Like

Kate Winslet was amazing in Mare of Easttown, but so many actors have a hard time with the Southern accent and the regional accent around the Outer Banks is very unique.

1 Like

Vivien Leigh and Leslie Howard didn’t even attempt southern accents as Scarlett and Ashley, but they were perfect just the same.

Yes, but back in those days everyone in the movies had the same weird upper crust accent. Hardly anyone talks like that any more. The Trans-Atlantic Accent: The Rise and Fall of a Hollywood Trend

1 Like

Just finished West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge. Wonderful book, highly recommend

2 Likes

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest Gann. Commonly known as the best book about aviation ever written. Fascinating, hard to put down, and really makes you appreciate the innovations in aviation that we have now that keep us safe.

3 Likes

@busdriver11 thanks for that recommendation. I’m going to suggest it to my husband - his father was a commercial airline pilot (PanAm). It sounds like something my husband would enjoy.

1 Like

He would likely love it and find it very interesting because of his dad. It’s about the very treacherous early days of commercial aviation and is beautifully written.

Just finished an enjoyable novel: Narrowboat Summer by Ann Youngson. Charming and makes me want to go off and live on a boat.

2 Likes

The Great Gatsby. It’s my favorite book ever.

2 Likes

@williams1 - its my favorite book ever, too!

1 Like

Have you read Beautiful Little Fools ?

I use Libby constantly and never have a problem finding a book to read immediately because my GoodReads “Want to Read” list is long!

I may not be reading the most current books (like, just released) but that’s fine with me - I’ll get to them eventually.

Right now I reading an oldie but goodie by Celeste Ng, Everything I Never Told You.

7 Likes

I really liked that book.

I’m reading A Gentleman in Moscow. Yes, I know I’m years behind the fad, but I’m okay with that.

I just can’t get Eloise at the Plaza out of my head while reading and wonder if Julie Andrews will play Sasha in the movie?

9 Likes

Another oldie … The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. It is so creepy to realize you are rooting for the protagonist … who is a psychopath! I had to take breaks from reading because I felt so skeevy … but the writing is so good I wanted to keep going, too. It’s been adapted into movies several times, and now I want to see those!

3 Likes