One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I also abandoned that one partway through. Not my style, I guess. Heartening to hear some others have felt the same.

1 Like

I stopped reading The Candy House with just 50 pages left. Lol. I kept giving it a chance over and over but I just was not enjoying any of it and didn’t think I wanted to spend even an hour more with it!

2 Likes

I slogged through The Goldfinch but regret that I’ll never get those hours back.

6 Likes

Currently reading and enjoying “Stars in An Italian Sky” by Jill Santopolo.

1 Like

@ChoatieMom , I liked that one too. I think I may be a good barometer for some of you - if I liked it, beware!

I left The Goldfinch in Las Vegas (the Las Vegas section of the book, not the actual city)—couldn’t take it anymore.

3 Likes

I stopped The Goldfinch as well - a few of my friends loved the book but not me.

3 Likes

I sort of finished it, but lost interest in the LV section. That friend was awful. I basically skimmed the rest, lost track of what was happening in the end. Didn’t care.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to start a trend of “books you didn’t finish”!!! :slight_smile: It’s just rare that I run into this situation especially with well-known/reported books.

This is such a good thread and mostly positive, let’s have the “lesser books” be infrequent postings - or feel free to start a “One of The Worst Books I Ever Read” thread. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hear you, but frankly, this is helpful to me too. Getting a sense of who likes what does help sort through the referrals, because this IS one of my favorite places to find my next book.

I am sure @ChoatieMom and I would be great friends IRL, but that doesn’t mean we like to read the same things.

3 Likes

I made a comment a few years ago that led to the creation of a thread called “what book did you want to throw across the room” or something like that.:joy: Not sure if it could be resurrected.

2 Likes

I liked The Goldfinch. You gotta have time and commitment for a book that thick though.

I was so confounded by the praise for that book that I watched the movie just to see if, for once, the movie did it better. Nope.

And I’m sure @gardenstategal and I have enough else in common that that wretched book wouldn’t interfere with the enjoyment of our martinis.

5 Likes

I’d loved A Secret History, so I thought I might try The Goldfinch, but then some reviewer compared it to Catcher in the Rye, and that was the kiss of death. I know that I brought up that book it the throw it across the room thread. I don’t mind long books, but I have to actually be enjoying them.

I will confess that while I can read about anti-heroes and unpleasant happenings, I far prefer books where I like at least some of the characters.

1 Like

Good point about characters. I’ve started a book with plot that is not at all pleasant, WW2 Jewish family (book jacket comment compares to “Nightengale”
 so figured I’d like it). But the characters are compelling. Perhaps I learned of the title suggestion here.

The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel

4 Likes

Don’t go for my recommendations, then - I suggested both The Book of Lost Names and Bunny and it seems you didn’t like either! :rofl: :rofl:

But, I’ll still reply with a couple of new recommendations. :grin:

Recently I have enjoyed The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin and A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Very different books, but I enjoyed them both.

Recently finished Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng. The beautiful writing made it totally worthwhile. It’s another novel set in a dystopian future (a form I never love but is a useful way of highlighting how certain present day seeds could sprout). The plot keeps it moving along, and it captures much about the parent-child relationship. Would recommend although it is unlikely to end up in my “best” category.

4 Likes

I found “A Secret History” to be meh. Tried reading “The Little Friend” because the plot sounded good but found it tedious. I felt like the descriptions went on, and on and on
it felt like work to read. Didn’t even bother with “The Goldfinch”.

2 Likes

I am liking The Book of Lost names. (Nazi era books are somber, but I can understand them. Just feel I was not a clever enough reader to appreciate Bunny.)