OOS admitted students only - Zero financial aid at the UCs - starting 2016

I lived in Oregon for 5 years as an int. famly. My family paid all kinds of taxes except income(except my sister. The rest was not eligible for job, no income tax, so…)

I still didn’t get any in state or reduced OOS tuition rate(not that such thing existed in first place anyway) when I applied U of Oregon and Oregon State University, yet I am not complaining.

Am I being a saint?

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people complain about OOS tuition. Why on earth would any of the top publics worry about it when the number of apps they get goes up every year? UM, UVA, the top UCs, it’s not like any of them are hurting from a lack of qualified applicants.

“California… You are letting your grapes go sour.”

OP, the same could be said about your state-
How about you lecture those in government in the state in which you reside? There is a lot that Fla could do to improve its own state college system.

Ohhhhhhh, that’s right! you dont HAVE to pay income tax in FLA. ! Perhaps that’s why your state U’s are not up to snuff?

sheesh…
8-| :-w

The OP wrote:

Has it ever occured to you that some people & states are more interested in having a relationship besides arm-candy?

Grounded people and grounded taxpayers would prefer an avg-looking partner who is a great parent/provider/lover than a vain partner who blows all the money on plastic surgery.

@“aunt bea” Sorry, but given that my daughter’s mom has been transferred to CA by her CA based company, she will be as much a CA resident as you. So please stop this your and our language. No one has seniority for having lived in the same state longer. That is not how this works. Do you think that if someone pays more in taxes to the US govt in 1 year than most make in a lifetime - that gives them a greater say over anything? This is the same thing.

I wont even bother replying to your CA taxes and housing prices comment. Is that not implied in her mom being employed in CA? The concern is that her mom might get transferred to another state 2-2.5 years later as happened to her in OR, making her OOS in CA again. It has nothing to do with what anyone can afford.

SES? I googled the term but cant figure it out in the context of this discussion. What is that an abbreviation for? And what are THOSE kids? I don’t even know what you are referring to by either of the terms.

I visited UCSD, UCLA, UCSB, UCB, UCD this past July with my daughter. I am not an armchair QB. I have 3 good friends who at the UCs that I speak with regularly - 2 are not just professors. I have a nephew currently enrolled at UCSD. So yes, I do hear about resource cuts and concerning difficulties and bigger classes and labs that have not been modernized in a while. To accuse me of making anything up without having grounds is one way to react when the facts and statistics support my thesis and you respond with anecdotal tales about the glory of the past.

I have also read a lot about everything to do with all the colleges she has applied to. Including the UCs. Unless you read the Regents Budget for Operations and wish to debate with me using numbers, this is going to devolve into me blasting out numbers supporting my thesis and you using personal remarks and being aggrieved at the wrong party. I am pretty much the messenger. I am not changing the UCs. I just choose to believe that the UCs have a right to attract the students the UCs believe are the best for them and the state of CA meddles too much into the UCs while providing wholly inadequate support.

I criticize and dissect every system that I am a part of. If you do not do that, you get complacent, taken for a ride and you are the one abused. Dissension is never counterproductive if you seek to ensure parity and equity and question everything from first principles.

There is nothing wrong with corporations donating buildings and the UC system accomplishing what it has. I am pointing fingers at the state of CA - your representatives.

@2018eastorwest It doesn’t quite work that way. The UCs have a cap on OOS enrollment while increasing instate enrollment.

However, OOS yields will most likely fall due to the higher supplementals and no FA policy. So I think the UCs will start skewing even more toward internationals as a whole. I expect OOS to decline to about 4-5% of enrollment over the next few years.

@khanam – Some of your assertions supporting your thesis are simply not supported by any “numbers” you have thrown out. 1) There is no support for your assumption there are not enough qualified students in CA. 2) There is no support for your assumption that reducing aid for OOS and international students will eliminate them from applying and coming to UC. Also, the idea that attracting more OOS/international students with aid somehow benefits UC financially is flawed. If they aren’t paying more money, where is the benefit? The ADMITTED students who are OOS/international have about the same stats as CA students. This idea that the financials of UC will be fixed by giving more OOS aid is, frankly, not supported by any numbers you have thrown out. It seems like you really think UC is a compromise for your daughter. I’m sure she’s a great student who will have a lot of options, but based on what you’ve said here, I’m baffled that you are even encouraging UC for her.

@menloparkmom UF is ranked comparably to the UCSD, UCD, UCSBs. Thats a fine enough school. And… my lectures are not reserved only for the UCs. My friends in Florida have heard from me about needing a better education system from HS to college and that zero taxes are ridiculous, much to the chagrin of my Republican friends here. I am an equal opportunity criticizer.

@GMTplus7 Long term neglect is considered an abuse in relationships. And what the state of CA did to the UCs is that. And that is considered grounds for divorce in marital relationships. Why do we expect institutions to not look askance? Maybe I should not have used the term pretty. I will substitute it with the word “great”. The point I am making is that this is to be a 2 way street. The UCs had historically given a lot to the great state of CA but lately there has been tremendous neglect.

@AlbionGirl You are conflating the UC endowment with operational funding. They are not the same. These are endowments that seek to make a return on investments - they can not be diverted into operations

@LionsMum

1. If there aren’t then why have they been admitting increasing numbers of OOS?
  2. This is an experiment in progress. I am betting on lower yields. Lets see how that turns out
  3. Please refer to post no 52 - UC OOS supplemental income from 14,500 OOS approx * 27,000 = 392 million/yr. OOS FA = 38 million/yr - It is still gaining the state of CA a boatload of money. Losing 10% to attract more is considered marketing and PR expense in most industries
  4. No one is saying more. Just maintaining it where it was is fine.
  5. The UCs are not a compromise for anyone. If I did not believe they are excellent educational institutions, I would not be agitating for them to have a bigger profile and more resources and so on. This is a worthy cause for the UCs and hence I debate. I would not be doing the same for Arizona State.

Not all UCs are created equal. Sounds like they are up on some sort of pedestal.

One finger pointing at our reps, four fingers pointing back.

Don’t send your daughter to the UCs; they will not meet your family’s expectations. I agree with @LionsMum. You’re going to complain all 4 years about anything wrong with California, so why in the world would you want your daughter to attend a complacent system?

You don’t pay taxes nor vote in our state, so, this is a gripe and a waste of time debating why you don’t want to pay OOS fees. Done with misery.

@Khanam SES is Social Economic Status. A “low” SES student would be one that typically is offered a Pell Grant. A high SES student is any student who’s parents earn more than me!

As a Floridian, I’m completely happy not paying income tax. :slight_smile:

What’s driving down the UCs (and CSU’s, etc.) share of the California budget is the rise in entitlements and healthcare cost. These two items now take up a much greater % of the state budget. Unlike the federal government, the states can not print more money or run a deficient. Higher Education will always be squeezed by these items. That’s why the UC’s are looking for other sources of income. OOS tuition is one way, but they are also looking to improve federal funding (research, etc.) and private giving/donations. All large public research universities are trying to improve in these two areas.

This is the latest info on residence and migration of freshman undergraduates in 4-year degree granting institutions, by state.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d15/tables/dt15_309.30.asp

California sends 35K students out of state, while taking in 20K from other states. It has more state residents enrolled in “any state” (148,079) than it has total enrolled students(in-state on OOS) at CA based schools (133,112). In other words, it’s colleges can’t support all of it’s students.

@khanam For all the sky is falling rhetoric, UCB is by just about every measure and ranking the highest rated public school in the USA. UCLA isn’t far behind. And there are probably 40 states that would love to have a flagship as highly regarded as UCSB, UCSD, UCD, or UCI. The UC system will be just fine without OOS FA.

@gluttonforstress Things are starting to suffer. Rankings are always a lagging indicator of the actual state of the college. I don’t disagree that the UCs are great schools and 40 states will bend over backwards to have a college like a 2nd tier UC. And no one disputes that UCB & UCLA are phenomenal schools in the same league as the elites but you have to compare class sizes and may other factors over the years to recognize the storm coming.

OOS FA is just one aspect of the interference of the state of CA with the UCs. Do you think it will stop at just OOS FA? The next step will be telling the UCs to relax standards to take in more students. Then there will be something else.

@Gator88NE Hahahaha. You have a funny definition for SES. I did not know that was a term for Pell recipients. I guess that is the PC language definition. I also get your point about entitlements and & HC costs. I read about the UF budget battle as well but its nothing compared to what the UC system experienced.

And that stat about CA sending more students to other state Us was very enlightening. I am curious which state actually has a positive balance if CA has a negative balance. That caught me by surprise

@jym626 i should clarify - I meant UCB, UCLA, and then UCSD. The others are fine institutions as well but I think these 3 are excellent.

Yes, the state of CA should focus limited taxpayer money to support its OWN FAMILY, rather than showering obsequious attention to other people’s children.

@“aunt bea” once again i have not discussed the supplementals. Paying OOS for 2 terms is a minor irritation if she does go to a UC, which is not a certainty. What I am objecting to is the removal of a small line item that the UCs were using in their best judgement. That should have been left untouched. That is interference.

And once again making personal remarks is not welcome. I am debating a philosophical issue. I have been trying hard not to discuss my personal facts since this is not about me and all you do is come up with snarky remarks like “you will never be satisfied”. This is an impersonal forum about colleges. I never asked you or others any personal questions to prove a point.

I am debating on the merits of my beliefs and using the conclusions provided by research materials and statistics. I debate to uncover facts and nuances for myself. I am often wrong but I revise my opinions on the basis of new information. This is what I do to while my time having retired too early.

@GMTplus7 So… using your own logic, the UCs should stop accepting all international and OOS kids and accept only instate kids to support its OWN FAMILY since a seat given to a non-instate kid is a seat taken away from a family member. Until it takes others for money, your point is invalid.