OOS admitted students only - Zero financial aid at the UCs - starting 2016

Congrats on your daughters acceptance to a private elite college where you will likely pay more than Berkeley’s out of state tuition price. You proved my point. You are done with California’s schools since you never were invested in them in the first place. Your daughter was accepted at a higher ranked school and now the price isn’t important anymore. Some of our kids who live near a UC attended educational activities at them while they were growing up, have sibling(s) who attended them, attend multiple sporting events there, participate in sporting events held in the college facilities and dream of attending college there some day. Then a child (and their parents) in another state who looked at the US News and world report rankings yesterday picks the UC school for one reason only. The UC regents sold our kids spots to the highest bidders. And then I see OOS people who are shocked that the California taxpayers don’t want to subsidize this! The UC system should be easier to gain admission of you live in state but from what I’ve seen, it’s the opposite now.

“My interests are for myself and other people like me who pay taxes here for a chance at one of these schools.”
you dont pay Calif taxes, nor for that matter state taxes at all. so your interests were purely selfish. you wanted to send your kid here on our dime.
Enjoy giving the trustees of that elite college your 2 cents worth…
we taxpayers here in Calif wont miss you…

Don’t forget foreign students in Cali who pay all but income taxes and still don’t get in state rate.

@CMUmechEalumna Just for the record, UCLA does have OOS scholarships. The are funded by private donations. and Cal is looking for other way of financing OOS students with need.

As for elite private colleges, for middle income students it can be far cheaper to go to Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Amherst, Pomona or Stanford than the UCs. These private colleges have fantastic financial aid and no loan policies. C

UC is living on its laurels. Announcing to the world that you have a budget crisis–a new normal in Cal’s terminology–doesn’t bring top students flocking in. And Michigan and UVA don’t need to go trawling for applicants or students. They are UCs equals and on much better financial footing.

California voters have done an excellent job of trashing their public universities. They now want to turn them into regional universities.

“California has over promised a lot of money to a lot of people and then when they don’t have it, they try to raise our taxes to pay for it. They have not kept up with the needs of the ever increasing needs of the population as a whole including water and roads.”

That is hilarious. Fact is, California has budget shortfalls because it doesn’t collect a normal amount of property taxes due to the insanity that is Proposition 13. Anyone who has been in their house a long time pays miniscule property taxes. There are houses worth three million dollars in San Francisco that pay less than $2500 a year in property tax. What’s worse, Prop. 13 applies to businesses too. Some of those skyscrapers and hotels and restaurants and so forth pay one fifth of the property tax of their next door neighbors, yet eat up the same amount of public services. California has to try to make up the revenue by raising sales taxes and fees, but it never can make up for the lost property tax revenue. So the budget gets cuts and the roads crumble and the schools get worse.

There are some people that are overtaxed in California. Renters and new arrivals to the state in particular. That is because the guy next door in the nice house that has been in his family since 1977 is getting a free ride at all of our expense.

All y’alls complaining about California not offering in state tuition. Sucks for you! Keep on whining while you pay that high tuition. :smiley: :(( Man I just love entitled OOS people who don’t pay taxes but still expect aid. Hilarious :))

@thejappster obviously you are going to enroll at UMichigan (assuming the deferral in the post below is now an acceptance) unless you get Berkeley - since ucsb is the only UC you got so far. Now consider this. Does the Univ of Michigan need to give OOS aid? No. But they do. And since you have applied for FA at UMichigan - you will be considered eligible… You don’t think it is fair for a Michigan student to also expect the same from a UC he or she is admitted to? Has to work both ways. Your parents did not pay taxes in Michigan so is it not hypocritical for you to ask for or expect aid from UMichigan?

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19096960/#Comment_19096960

My point has always been that all state Us should offer some FA to all OOS admits. The tuition fee/admissions policy can acknowledge some prioritization of instate students but it has to jive with the policies of the peers of the state Us.

@ThankYouforHelp That was a very interesting read. I had no clue even commercial properties benefitted from Prop 13. The state of CA has incredible resources, amazing industries and human resources but its government and bureaucracy have shown an astonishing ability to create chaos when the system should be able to fund itself without overtaxing the normal middle class.

I really doubt OOS FA would even be a fraction of a fraction of the losses due to things such as Prop 13. Thanks

No, I do not think its fair. I will probably attend UCSB because of the cost, but I am not disgruntle about the fact that I didn’t get any aid. The people of Michigan paid their taxes and they should be given all the FA to those in Michigan. My family did not spend 18+ years paying taxes there, so why should I expect anything?

I did not apply for the fafsa for U Michigan for this reason. Michigan student should take full advantage of the FA they deserve.

@menloparkmom don’t need to give my 2 cents worth to either of the private colleges under consideration by my daughter. their thoughts and actions are already in alignment with my social values. i will just focus on fulfilling my obligations. I also have no issues with the UC administration - they are doing a great job. Left to their own devices, they would not just be called public ivies - they would be elites, pure and simple - I have enough friends (many relatives who have graduated from and 1 relative currently enrolled) in the UC system and deeply respect UCB, UCLA etc. I just do not appreciate how the state of CA is treating the UCs, selling seats to as many internationals instead of promoting a normal healthy exchange with US citizens (and legal residents) across the country like other good state Us do and forcing it to do more for the state of CA than the state has done for the UCs.

PS: You quoted someone else. That was not my statement

@klingon97 thanks for pointing out that UCLA is arranging private (non state of CA) funds for OOS FA. Even if it is not enough for an OOS to enroll, I am sure they will always appreciate UCLA doing whatever it could to accommodate them, even arranging private funds. I absolutely love it when a public U decides to go for the the best talent.

@ThankYouforHelp The commercial properties also benefit because if one of the owners stays the same when a property changes hands, the property is not reassessed. So, many properties have been sold a bunch of times but not reassessed at their new sale value because they keep a 5% owner on the rolls. If you see a proposition for a “split roll” (separate property tax rules for residential and commercial), vote yes.

Property taxes from oil producing land (and ocean within 3 miles) is also at a low because it automatically gets reassessed downward when the price of oil goes down. And, there isn’t an extra tax on oil extraction in California like other oil producing states have.

And, we haven’t even gotten to Prop 98, which is a set-aside percentage of the state general fund for K-14. So, elementary schools and community colleges benefit automatically when state revenues go up (like now, but admittedly they took the biggest hit after 2008). But, CSU and UC have to beg the legislature for corresponding increases.

@CMUmechEalumna Honestly, I am still of the opinion that the UCs should have a lot more autonomy than they do. My immediate worries about what the UC system’s sufferings might mean for my daughter, if she chose to attend a UC, have evaporated but I still stand by my concern that the UCs are being trashed by the state of CA - these have historically been incredible institutions - you can’t have budget cuts etc destroy the value they have built over the decades.

The admission stats that everyone keeps quoting are neither true nor do they allow for the yield adjustment. It fallacious to keep mentioning an urban myth without also acknowledging the self-selection bias of the OOS applicant pool. And I am not even sure where you are getting the impression that instate kids are being squeezed out by OOS enrollment. That is not the culprit. For the UCs, its the international enrollment that is unusually big.

Perhaps it is time for some lovely private equity firms to buy a UC or 2 from the state of CA to convert them to privates and for the state of CA to work out a preferential tuition / enrollment arrangement with the new owners. The state of CA will unlock a lot of value, not have to fund the UCs anymore, use the money unlocked to build out new UCs, CSUs (the UC system has proven capable of building and growing great Us) and/or reduce your taxes. Hey presto! Problem solved.

@thejappster your post about the deferral from U Michigan that I quoted states you applied for FA at UMI.

@khanam hmm interesting. I did not. Must have been a typo.

@thejappster that was why i went, wait this is not right. if that was a typo, then so be it.

'Perhaps it is time for some lovely private equity firms to buy a UC or 2 from the state of CA to convert them to privates and for the state of CA to work out a preferential tuition / enrollment arrangement with the new owners. "

Perhaps its time for you to worry about something else? Like the decrepit state of the nations highway systems, the aging and subsequent degeneration of water supply systems across the US, the rising sea levels that threaten many cities in your own state because of unchecked global warming?

just a thought…

Just for the record, I never trashed the UC schools. 2 of the members of my family plus their spouses are proud UC grads. They enjoyed every minute of it. Hoping to add to the list. I’ve trashed the tax system here and the way Sacramento spends our money but never the schools. That is one thing California got right. The schools aren’t for sale just some of the spots at the school whether we like it or not. I don’t have an issue with UCLA getting donations for OOS, just them spending our tax money for it. It’s similar to athletic departments raising money for athletic scholarships. I honestly think you need to go find another cause for your own sanity also. I know it will help my sanity.

Perhaps I actually do worry about these things.
Perhaps I am convinced that the consequences of global warming will be significantly worse than our worst case forecasts and that it is now irreversible and absent a solar minima causing a mini ice age or technology that would absorb large chunks of greenhouse gases without sending us to a snowball earth, we are on a path to definite extinction.

Perhaps I do worry about my own hypocrisies as well. Eating streaks and driving cars when I decry hydrocarbon emissions. And… Spending too much of my time on a forum for college admissions when the immediate reason for doing so is only to ensure that my child makes the right decision.

@khanam UC Berkeley is similarly endeavoring to assemble financial aid packages for OOS students. It should be noted that the UCs fiercely resisted this new policy of ending OOS financial aid, as did faculty. They argued that it would erode both the quality of their student bodies by reducing competition, and also would erode their standing as national research universities. They were overruled by the State. They now have the choice: they can follow the lead of “national” state universities like Michigan and UVA and seek to greatly increase their non-state funding, or they can remain subject to the vicissitudes of state funding. Sadly, they should have started doing so in the 70s with California began abandoning its commitment to the UCs. Michigan now gets about 4-6% of its budget from the state. And in terms of the quality of its student, facilities, faculty compensation etc., is beginning to pull ahead of UC. Same with UVA. Tragic for UC really.