OOS student wanting to go to Purdue for free

<p>So, I'm a rising senior who is trying to create a good list of safeties, matches, and reaches. I already have several reaches that interest me and a few safeties. Unfortunately it's hard for me to come up with matches since the only schools in which I would be truly in the middle are reach-for-everyone schools, so I only want to apply to safeties and matches where I could get at least full tuition but preferably a full ride scholarship.</p>

<p>I have two safeties: UK and Alabama. I have one match: Centre College (my parents really want me to apply, I don't want to go, even if it's local, since it's a small LAC) and i'm also thinking about USC. I have visited Purdue and really liked it, and it is also very strong in Engineering, which I am probably going to be studying (or CS/ Chemistry. nonetheless, STEM). </p>

<p>So, from looking at Purdue's website, there were 12 people this year who got full rides. 4 from stamps, and 8 from beering. I realize that, Purdue being a large school that is also very good, these scholarships are probably really competitive. I am wondering how difficult getting these scholarships are. Aside from doing well in the interview (for Stamps) I am wondering what kind of resume the people that get these scholarships usually have. </p>

<p>Basically, I know a lot of scholarships (especially for Eng. students) are looking for racial, ethnic, or gender minorities. I am a white male. I also do not have a story of extreme hardship, and neither have I cured cancer. I do, however, have pretty good stats that could put me in the running for a more objective scholarship. If I don't get in to my reaches (or they are too difficult financially) getting the beering scholarship would be very, very important to me and would probably make Purdue my likely future alma mater. </p>

<p>I can post my resume if it's necessary to see if I'm in the running. I would be really grateful if a Beering recipient could post what they had on their app when they got it to get a bit of perspective.</p>

<p>I (OOS student) had a pretty good resume (SAT>2100, High GPA, Various honor societies and volunteering, got into the honor program and all that) and I currently have a 3.90 GPA in engineering. I got an annual 10k presidential scholarship. Got another 2.5k scholarship recently applying within my college and a few small ones. You’re probably not going to get a full ride paying around 40k a year (Tuition is around 28k? Factor in housing costs. That’s not including various fees as well). You’re honestly not likely to get a full ride at any college, just because that is very difficult to do, especially if you don’t “neeeed” it. </p>

<p>I’ve met so many talented people at purdue who are amazing students as well. Nobody I know got full rides. A lot of people are “objectively” great at Purdue. I’m sorry kid, but you’re probably not getting a full ride.</p>

<p>Well, obviously those 12 kids did who got Stamps/ Beering scholarships per [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.purdue.edu/exploratory/redirect.html]Welcome”&gt;http://www.purdue.edu/exploratory/redirect.html]Welcome</a> to Exploratory Studies - Exploratory Studies at Purdue<a href=“under%20the%20news%20section”>/url</a>.</p>

<p>Also, not to put you down or anything, but I have pretty good test scores and gpa. On Purdue’s website it says they personally invite people for consideration for those scholarships, so maybe I’d have better chances.</p>

<p>10/12 are from FYE. There are around 10,500 students in engineering (<a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/AboutUs/FactsFigures[/url]”>Taking on Society's Grand Challenges - College of Engineering - Purdue University). Divide by around 4 to get 2625 students in FYE. 0.381% of students in FYE got full scholarships this year approximately. Ergo, very very rare. </p>

<p>That’s 12 people from 30,147 total undergraduates (~7537 freshmen). 0.0398%. Being realistic, are you better than 99.619% of FYE kids? Have you been invited? </p>

<p>Just don’t be disappointed when you don’t get a full ride. If you do, congrats, fantastic, I hope it paves a bright future that leads to many new improvements.</p>

<p>Hmm, I don’t know, I feel like I still have a shot, though I haven’t seen the stats of someone who did get those scholarships. I guess that the $50 application fee + sending test scores might make me not want to apply if I have such low chances, but I think I might be among the top 1-5% of the fye students in terms of my application strength. At that point, wouldn’t I have relatively good chances? Anywhere from 5-33%?</p>

<p>Again, if anybody on these boards has got one of those scholarships, I’d really like to see their application information to see how competitive one needs to be.</p>

<p>Full ride scholarships for undergraduates are pretty rare, especially since it doesn’t seem that you have a dire financial need for a full ride. Are you only willing to go to a college if they give you full rides? You might find yourself at a college that is generally, probably, way below your standards. Getting a full ride is great, but getting a job when you graduate is pretty great too. Schools with great reputations and money to spend on job fairs and recruiting generally help out.</p>

<p>This might sound weird, but I guess you could go on Purdue’s subreddit and a few Purdue Class of ___ facebook groups and ask…</p>

<p>@hue</p>

<p>With respect to your chances, I disagree somewhat with Seirsly.</p>

<p>Given your stats (ACT 36 composite, SAT 2270, 4.0 uw, ranked 1), I actually do think you stand a chance at receiving an invitation to the Beering application process. Approximately 100-135 students are invited to apply who meet the MINIMUM of a 2200 SAT and a 34 ACT. Be aware that meeting the minimum doesn’t guarantee you an invitation. I know several ACT 35/4.0/rank 1 kids who didn’t get noticed. Depending on the application pool, the minimum stats could be even higher for the 2013-2014 application cycle. But remember, all of this just gets you invited…</p>

<p>Unfortunately, you seem to have weaker ECs than the majority of the applicants. Unless I’m mistaken, you don’t play a varsity sport, don’t have national-level awards, aren’t artistically talented, and don’t have a driven passion in any one area of community service. Don’t take any of that as criticism because you are an excellent academic student. </p>

<p>Beering Scholars aren’t necessarily the highest stat kids out there. They are individuals who will contribute to society on a local, national and global level. Are you that person? If you receive the invite, you will need to convey this answer to the committee through an extremely intensive and comprehensive process involving written essays and interviews.</p>

<p>And regarding full-rides and finances:<br>
Congratulations on your (soon-to-be) guaranteed full tuition scholarship at the University of Alabama and the same (but you’ll probably receive the full-ride) at the University of Kentucky. These are great financial safeties. I think you would receive merit at USC (assuming U So. Cal), especially if you attain NMS status. By any chance, are you on track to become a National Merit Scholar? Do you know your approximate EFC and do you know the maximum your parents can pay each year? You are aware (I’m guessing you have done your research, but JIC) that your reaches of MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, and CalTech do not offer merit scholarships to freshman, right? </p>

<p>Bottom line:<br>
While an offer of a Trustees or Presidential Scholarship is very high, these scholarships only put a dent in the OOS COA, making it very costly for you to attend. However, I think the odds are in your favor that you will receive an invite to Beerings. Given that, I believe it is worth your time and expense to apply to Purdue.</p>

<p>Invitation to the USNCO national exam (with a very high qualifying score) might be a national-level award if the committee is familiar with it, and I have the chance of possibly getting semis in either Siemens or Intel research competitions (still ironing those out). Other than that, you’re right. I’m involved but not really competing at the highest level in anything. I have around 150 hrs of service, but in a bunch of different things, etc. I am an Eagle Scout, though, so 30 of those hours was on my own project. I also do academic team (captain with lots of good tournaments), which I would say is a time commitment just a little less than varsity wrestling, but which lasts the whole year.</p>

<p>I think I can write and interview well, so we’ll see how that goes. It’s good to know that I might be able to get my foot in the door, at the very least. I’m just trying to create options at this point. As for being an individual who contributes to society on a local, national and global level, definitely local. I’ve never done any sort of international-aid thing because to me going to Africa and building water purifiers seemed like a cliche wealth-kid-impressing-colleges thing. So I might be lacking on the national and global citizenship aspect.</p>

<p>Yes, I did well enough on the psat to guarantee nmsf and nmf is pretty close to a sure thing because of my SAT score. This is why UK (and due to being close to my parents+ knowing other people) is on my list, and Alabama is on the list “just in case.” USC is on just in case I get a full tuition scholarship and decide it’s worth my time. I’m thinking of taking it off. Purdue is a school that I would like more than UK (probably my #1 non-reach school) and is probably a good “fit” but I don’t really want my parents to pay over 15k per year. I’m really interested in Beering mostly because of full ride AND the other options (free med school sounds really appealing).</p>

<p>My reach situation is difficult. I think that if I apply to the 6 or so reach schools on my radar I will probably get in to 1-2 of them, though perhaps not my top choices. I’m not sure financially what lies in store. </p>

<p>For many years my family was in the 100-150k range that usually meant about 15k in tuition each year (at the HPSM schools), but my mom started working full time and my dad took a part-time consulting job in the last year (they are both pharmacists) so now we are probably making over 200 or even 250k. As far as assets go, our house is below our means (around 300k) and I don’t know how much my parents have in investments. My dad is going to retire probably in about 8-13 years if his current health relative to his peers continues (technically he can already retire; he is 62) so it’s parent that my parents are trying to save money. I have a few things to consider: I want to get the best education with the best resources and peers possible, I don’t want to incur large debt upon myself, and I don’t want to cause hardship for my family. </p>

<p>So, reach schools are going to be difficult. I’m going to get my parents to fill out the net price calculators soon, but as we all know those are only (accurate) estimates. If I’m full pay everywhere I’d still consider MIT, but then Purdue with Beering would be my next choice.</p>

<p>May I ask if you are a Purdue admissions officer or on the staff there? I really appreciate your help.</p>

<p>Purdue has plenty of high stats white males wanting to major in STEM. OOS ones just bring in more revenue. Since 2011 when the automatic merit awards were given up, merit has become very focused on diversifying the campus and specific majors - bringing in more women etc. To get a major merit award, you need to be high stats AND unusual - demonstrate that you are uniquely driven and a proven leader bringing a desired potential contribution to Purdue. Google the winners of the Beering and Stamps and you’ll see what I mean. They aren’t just NMF or 4.0s.</p>

<p>" Varsity volleyball, National Honor Society co-president, Center Street Jazz singers, Kairos retreat leader, liturgical choir cantor, math league, student council senior class president. Kim is a National Letter of Commendation recipient and an All-State Academic Athlete award recipient. Volunteer efforts: Habitat for Humanity, Youth United president, Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers team leader and council member as well as the LHS service club co-president." </p>

<p>I googled all of the beering scholars of this year, and didn’t find ANY news articles or the like about them. For most of them only facebook, linked in, and the purdue page that mentions them came up. This came up for one of them on their school website and honestly doesn’t strike me as particularly “wowing” or unusual. Good ECs but it seems more like a list than one of particular depth.</p>

<p>Also, of the 8 beering scholars, 5 are women, 4 are women in engineering, and 3 are males in engineering. 2 of the four stamps scholars are males in engineering, and 2 are female with one in engineering. Though women in engineering are a minority, it doesn’t strike me that these programs are more for diversity than merit.</p>

<p>HueHue, I don’t know if you know about this, but there is something called the Co-op program if you want to help out with money. All the engineering majors can do it, and some of the non engineering majors too. It’s basically 5 guaranteed internships with a company, one every other semester (guaranteed if you first get the job and secondly don’t get fired). You get raises every new working term. My first work term I worked around 5 months and made >12k (spent money on rent and food though, so saved like 6k). Plus it gives you work experience and it’s great on any resume. It might be something to think about.</p>

<p>There’s also a 3 work term one if you don’t start as a freshman.</p>

<p>I didn’t bother to look up all of them but the woman involved in beekeeping education and environmentalism who is also a tennis player and top student is a good example of someone who showed unusual initiative and drive beyond her high school.</p>

<p>The main problem you have with looking these students up is that you have too little identifying information. If you had the students’ schools, for example, you would probably find much more information on them. (As high school students, even if their accomplishments had little to do with their school, it will often be mentioned in news stories and other documentation). Most peoples’ names are just too common for that alone to bring up internet search results on them.
(As high school students, I expect very few had LinkedIn accounts. If you found some those probably weren’t even for the person you were searching for)</p>

<p>I am an incoming Beering Scholar at Purdue this year. I am very reluctant to share personal information over the internet.</p>

<p>My Resume -
High test scores/GPA, rigorous classes, National Merit, etc etc etc
Varsity Athlete (highly competitive State-level). Recognized leader by coaches and teammates.
Very Significant STEM Accomplishment/Work
Leader of (unusual but important and highly impactful) community service group (state/local)
Leader of outside-of-school engineering high school group
STEM clubs/competitions (local).
Recognized (in a general sense) via selective community award
One unusual and highly technical hobby
(I do not care to be more specific, even via PM)</p>

<p>Summary - A lot of leadership and initiative outside of avenues offered by my school. Everything I did I did to a very high level. You will find very little “filler” on my application. I could talk to you about nearly all of my activities for hours because a very large amount of time was put into all of them.</p>

<p>As far as the application goes, I got the sense that the application for Beering/Stamps mostly goes out by standardized test scores and GPA. You MUST meet the early application deadline (sometime in November, I believe). If you have high scores, you are most likely in.</p>

<p>The Beering/Stamps application (if you are invited to apply) is a fair bit of work. It will be five essays (actually, “three essays” and two other responses, which are essays). Financial need is not a factor, nor is race (as far as I can tell). I think some bias exists based on residency (I think at least half of the Beering Scholars had to be from Indiana). The application (form my perspective) seems geared toward people with:

• A global awareness and some knowledge of current events,
  • Leadership (they actually do not focus on this very much),
  • Achievements (vague) that are not only impressive but help them to understand something about you,
  • Community service/job (that allow you to show growth or some facet of your personality),
  • and being an interesting person (doing interesting things; don’t have to be impressive).</p>

<p>Keep in mind - I have never been outside this country (besides Canada). Global awareness doesn’t mean that you had to have traveled extensively or done some community service project in another country. Being up-to-date on current national and international issues will help you.</p>

<p>While the application was a lot of work, I think I enjoyed it the most out of any I completed. Their application (in my opinion) lets people with a lot of different backgrounds and types of accomplishments shine.</p>

<p>Apparently, they also will look at your admissions application while reviewing the Beering/Stamps one (although I am unclear as to the extent that factored in). Make sure your admissions essay is a good one!</p>

<p>I personally feel like I was able to represent myself in all of these categories very well and that I was (am) very accomplished for a high school-er. Still, having no idea what the other applicants looked like, I really did not know what to expect. From speaking with the committee responsible for reviewing my application, they seemed to indicate that I was one of their top choices. From that, I would imagine that you don’t have to fit perfectly into all of the areas they assess. But, of course, you need to represent yourself well in most of them.</p>

<p>Really, the only things you’ll NEED going into the application is a significant accomplishment you can talk about AND community service/work you can talk about. Everything else they assess is less concrete and will hinge more on you as a person. They ultimately want an aware, driven, and interesting leader.</p>

<p>If are selected based on your application, you will have to interview:</p>

<p>I had many interviews during the college application/scholarship process. The Beering interview, in my opinion, was the least-intense of all of them. If you are reasonably well spoken and are the kind of person represented in you essays, you will most likely receive the scholarship. From what I can tell, the Stamps interviews are far more competitive.</p>

<p>Given your goals, consider applying to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. If you make it as a Shipmen Scholar some additional funding (on top of what the top Shipmen are offered) may come your way. I highly doubt it will be a full ride, but it could come to be significantly lower than in-state COA.</p>

<p>As a National Merit Finalist you will also get a very nice offer from Texas A&M.</p>

<p>General Advice -
Going after these sorts of awards involves a large piece of luck. Of course you have to be qualified (very well qualified), but once you are, large amounts of chance factor in. You may fit the criteria for an award even better than the actual awardees (in some “objective” observer’s opinion), but if your essays don’t happen to resonate well with a particular committee, you have trouble connecting with your interviewer, or a number of other chance events occur, then you will not be a recipient.</p>

<p>Everyone who receives an award will be very well qualified, how one goes about ranking vastly different types of achievements is a very tricky matter. You could easily argue that is some cases their is no good way to do so, but committees still must decide.</p>

<p>Give everything your best effort, but do not expect anything in return.</p>

<p>Tropaean, I give you a high five, congrats, and respect. I wish you much success here at Purdue!</p>

<p>Huehue,
You have a shot at a full-ride but there is no guarantee. </p>

<p>A friend of my D, 2260 SAT, 234 PSAT, NMS finalist, 4.0 UW GPA, top 2% , ~12 AP classes, took 5 or 6 exams, all 5’s except 1 score of 4 . Eagle scout , member of various honor societies , some volunteer work.</p>

<p>He applied to Engr school and was offered a Trustee scholarship at the lower end. Did NOT get invited to compete for Beering and Stamps.</p>

<p>My D, 2270 SAT, 4.0 UW GPA, top 1%, 13 AP classes, took 7 exams, all 5’s. Varsity athlete. Member of various honor societies , presidents of 2. Volunteer including a summer in a hospital. </p>

<p>She was offered a Trustee scholarship at the high end. Got invited to compete for Beering and Stamps but did NOT win.</p>

<p>My guess is EC made the difference.</p>

<p>FYI.</p>