OOS VaTech Chances for Scholarships/Grants vs Pitt or OSU?

My daughter is well qualified for engineering, ACT 34, etc. She will be applying for the Fall of 2017. Virginia Tech would be her top choice. Being from Pennsylvania, tuition is more than double that of in-state. Ohio State has very generous academic scholarships available for OOS. I don’t see much for VaTech?

VT is not super generous with OOS scholarships unfortunately. It’s worth a shot (Stamps scholarship perhaps) especially for a highly qualified female in engineering, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Would you look at other OOS schools? With those stats she could probably explore some very good opportunities.

@CRVKids Virginia Tech is not known for its generosity, either, when it comes to National Merit Finalists. I think I saw where it offers a one-time scholarship of $500 for NMF. I don’t think UVa offers anything. The University of Central Florida, on the other hand, offers a $160,000 scholarship for NMF (basically a free ride). If S gets NMF – slim but possible – guess where he’s going? (His top three picks are UCF, Va Tech, and Texas A&M.)

@VABogart, Bama’s package is not quite as generous as it once was for NMF’s, but you might want to put it on the list too. My PA-born and FL-raised niece and nephew went to UCF and loved it, but it’s HUGE. (Maybe the largest campus in the country at this point.) Bama’s campus, while large, is considerably smaller. My son is in his third year there studying mechanical engineering and it’s been a very good experience so far. He chose it over Penn State even though I was willing to sell a kidney to pay for PSU. He missed the NMF cutoff, but he still qualified for the Presidential Scholarship, which is full tuition for eight semesters, and an extra $2500/year from the College of Engineering.

http://scholarships.ua.edu/nationalscholars/

@CRVKids, along with Bama, I believe Ole Miss and Mississippi State have some pretty terrific scholarships too for students with top stats.

Not sure how up-to-date this list is, but you both might want to give it a once-over to see if there are any others that might fit the bill, at least to have an extra safety or two.

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/

@LucieTheLakie At this point, everything is in play (S is looking at engineering schools). Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

tech doesn’t send out scholarship notifications until the spring and all the big ones will be competitive based on the applicant pool. they don’t tend to offer blanket scholarships like ohio or alabama. you just wont know until the end.