Operations Management

<p>DS2 would like to major in industrial engineering, which is not offered at UA. Operations Management seems to have some overlap, and OM and IE grads are sometimes hired for the same positions. Anyone have any knowledge of or experience with OM at UA?</p>

<p>Chardo…</p>

<p>I recently had some email communications with 2 current Bama eng’g profs who used to be Industrial E profs. They gave me a list of the industrial E classes that still exist. From the list, it appeared that someone could major in another E discipline and include those IE classes. </p>

<p>^ but wouldn’t that require taking most of your classes in a discipline you don’t want (electrical, chemical, etc.) and still not graduating with a degree in IE?</p>

<p>"…used to be Industrial E profs…" Did UA used to have IE? What happened?</p>

<p>Chardo…</p>

<p>I recently had some email communications with 2 current Bama eng’g profs who used to be Industrial E profs. They gave me a list of the industrial E classes that still exist. From the list, it appeared that someone could major in another E discipline and include those IE classes. I’ll find those emails and copy/paste the courses.</p>

<p>@‌chardo</p>

<p>Below is one of the responses I got from a current Bama Eng’g prof who used to be an IndustrialE prof. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Two of the former IE courses (Reliability and Maintainability, and a graduate-level Statistics class) are now taught through the Mechanical Engineering Department. Some of ME’s manufacturing courses have an overlap with their IE counterparts. </p>

<p>Yes, majoring in one of the degree programs that you identified (CivilE, ConstructionE & EnviroE), and incorporating the former IE courses is a viable option. Probably Construction Engineering (which is operations-oriented) comes closest to IE of the three.
<<<</p>

<p>Engineering Stats is taught under GES for “General Eng’g Studies”. Fall there were a few stat classes; Spring, only 1.</p>

<p>S is a sophomore and possibly majoring in OM- anyone know much about this major?</p>

<p>What’s the story behind those majors being “salvaged” – anyone know?</p>