Optional religion question on the CA

Have come across how some schools who ask this question use the answer as a way to consider students for certain scholarships. Other schools just use it for admissions data.

Do most people answer this question or skip/leave blank?

We filled in.

There are some endowed scholarships that you might qualify for. For us, the Weinstein at W&L for Jewish students.

It’s a personal call - if you have privacy or other concerns then don’t report. But you never know what you might miss.

2 Likes

We didn’t apply to any colleges with a religious affiliation that I can recall and I have not personally seen a college that asks this question.

I think it’s fair to say that probably, at religiously affiliated schools, a substantial number of applicants are tied to that religion. It is highly likely that those scholarships directly offered to those who practice that religion are only going to be offered to the very best applicants of that faith. So unless you are a tippy top applicant or are hooked in some way, I don’t see an advantage to filling out the question if you aren’t of that faith.

I’m guessing most people who share the religion will fill it out and most of the rest will leave it blank.

I left it blank. You can’t just put Christian (if that’s what you are), you have to put the specific denomination, so as a current senior I didn’t bother with it since I don’t really know what to say I am at this point in my life. I don’t think they could legally not admit you if they don’t like your religion so there’s probably no harm in filling it out if you have a somewhat strong religious belief. As some in this thread said, they could have an endowed scholarship for students of that religion. But I personally didn’t.

My son isn’t applying to any religiously affiliated schools, and the question has been on at least 5 of his applications, and definitely it was on some public universities. I do find it weird. And, as said, there isn’t a way to choose Christian generic or Protestant generic (except picking “Christian other” which in the context didn’t feel exactly right). :woman_shrugging:t2:

It may be for demographics or it may be for available endowed scholarships.

Don’t fill it out if you don’t want and you’re likely not missing anything - but you may be.

Perhaps info from the school’s religious organizations - like someone who checks Jewish may hear from Hillel…or perhaps scholarships.

One never knows…

1 Like

Yes - USC too has a scholarship if you indicate Jewish on their applicaton.

It surprisingly can be for diversity… I would say if you are other than Christian fill it out for sure.
DD got extra interest from Rhodes being Jewish. She did not get special scholarship. I think she got extra grant and consideration based on “diversity” for school. She was a leader in youth Jewish organization and that created extra attraction since she expected to be an active Hillel member in mostly Christian but non-religious school.

2 Likes

This is an unlikely scenario, but if you don’t identify specifically you would not be able to bring a discrimination suit or benefit from a class action settlement if you had not clicked that box.

I don’t agree. Someone could argue that their religion or ethnicity could be inferred from other information on the application, like belonging to a Hillel, having a very ethnic name, attending a religious high school.

I’m sure there were a lot of Asian students at Harvard who had never checked the box but may benefit from the law suit (may not, it is yet to be seen).

My daughter is Chinese without ANY indication of that on her application. She struggled with whether to check the box, not because she was afraid of being discriminated against but because she doesn’t really identify as Chinese. I told her it was up to her, and she ultimately decided to check the box to give the school a little credit for diversity.

I don’t think it mattered at all. She did list a religion. Don’t think that mattered either.

1 Like

It depends of particular school. Being Jewish or leader in youth organization did not matter in any school but Rhodes. It was ridiculous. DD had interview with most LACS she applied. When she had interview with Rhodes the guy was on the phone and she could see cell glare on the screen. The moment she mentioned she was a leader in youth Jewish organization the guy wake up, put away his phone and start to pay attention. DD came after interview very puzzled and said that it was very strange experience. We now know that guy was assigned to recruit Jewish students and is an admin reponsible for Hillel (he is not Jewish). So you never know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.