Options for students with a lot of college credits

<p>My d’13 will come into UA with 50+ credits, but if any of those classes were in her major she would retake them. She plans to major in Marine Science/Bio fortunately none of her credits are in that area…but if she was an Engineering student she would retake the precalc, and calc classes she has DE credits for.</p>

<p>At my kids’ school, there are four courses offered at the the high school through a reputable brick and mortar university. There’s some oversight from the university to insure that the teachers are qualified and the appropriate rigor is being applied. On the other hand, it’s eye opening to me that some kids allegedly get a prep book and study for AP exams the night before the test. If they manage to do that and pass, I guess they’re clever and they get credits, but it seems like they are missing out on some other components of education.</p>

<p>I am wondering, my DS will start with 40+ AP credits and has the free tuition scholarship for 4 years. Assuming he has a major that has a bachelors/masters in 5 years and he can get in that program… Can he use the 4th year of free tuition for that or not?</p>

<p>Yes he can if he’s in University Scholars and his major is in the program. During the second semester of his second year, he should contact the US person and ask to be admitted to the program. </p>

<p>From below, it looks like a program can request to be part of US.</p>

<p>He should NOT wait to be invited…that doesn’t seem to work…lol</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Only people in US can use their scholarships for those grad classes.</p>

<p>Any department that offers a graduate program may, with the approval of the dean of the Graduate School, participate in the University Scholars Program. The following programs currently are approved to participate in the University Scholars Program:</p>

<p>Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
Applied Statistics
Finance
Biological Sciences
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Communication Studies
Computer Science
Consumer Sciences
Economics (College of Commerce and Business Administration)
Economics (College of Arts and Sciences)
English
Electrical and Computer Engineering
French
Geography
German
Health Studies (Sports Medicine Concentration)
Human Nutrition and Hospitality Management (Food and Nutrition Concentration)
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Operations Management
Physics and Astronomy</p>

<p>Ask a CS professor for their advice about skipping the first python class. My D is in the same situation having passed the AP CS exam and the professor we asked recommended starting with the first python class. Her reason was at least in part because it is the first of a 2-semester sequence and alot of friendships are formed that first semester and it can be difficult to come in new the second semester. I do agree that just learning the language should be easy for a student with programming experience but even an entry level CS class is likely more than just learning a language. I wonder how much the AP curriculum overlaps the first CS class beyond the difference in the particular language. Best thing may be to ask a student (or parent of a student) who actually used the AP credit.</p>

<p>I’m not a fan of retaking a class that one already has AP credit for, especially when there are other courses that sound interesting, but one doesn’t have the time to take them.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that one also can participate in a University Scholars program for a major that they are not getting a bachelor’s degree in. For example, I could get a MS though University Scholars in Statistics or Civil Engineering despite my bachelor’s degree being in Finance, Economics, and Math.</p>

<p>momreads mentioned taking courses at the law school. Provided that a student has not completed their bachelor’s degree, UA scholarships will pay for any course offered at UA and up to two courses per semester at Stillman College.</p>

<p>Seatide,
Please explain how you can get a MA in University Scholars without getting a BA. Don’t you have to take the 11 or so undergrad courses first?
S is a psych major but looking into the US program in Communications. We were assuming he would have to double major or major in Comm & make psych the minor.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, one has to have enough knowledge of the subject to qualify for the masters program. For example, an engineer would be able to do University Scholars in Economics because they have the math background and have taken some business-themed courses. My suggestion would be to contact the professor in charge of University Scholars program in Communications and see what your son’s options are.</p>