Options for students with a lot of college credits

<p>What do move kids do that come in with a year or more of college credits? Since UA is generous with AP credit, there are probably a lot of students in this situation.</p>

<p>It seems like there is a bunch of options: Early graduation, double major, get their masters, graduate with lots of credits, take a reduce course load, take a reduced course load but do undergrad research, etc.</p>

<p>What’s most common?</p>

<p>I suspect you see some of all of the above. For my D’s case, she is double majoring and has a minor in CBH. She might even pick up a second minor. With all of that, I don’t see an early graduation in the picture, even though she came in with 55 AP/CLEP credits.</p>

<p>many honors kids are coming in with 40+ credits…some are coming in with junior standing. My kids came in with “second semester sophomore standing.”</p>

<p>Instead of graduating early, my kids used the opportunity to take on extra minors and to take some classes just for fun and interest.</p>

<p>Some kids do a double major. There is a parent here on the forum whose D is graduating early…which is cool, too.</p>

<p>My S will be in a similar boat. The only thing that concerns me is courses in his major. He’ll be majoring in CS and will be coming in with 5 CS credits. However, the AP exam was in JAVA and the intro courses at UA are in Python. I would imagine that he could learn Python quickly, but it’s a bit of a wild card and I wouldn’t want him to be behind the students in his major. Plus, his school doesn’t offer an AP CS course so he did it self-study. I suppose what he should do is learn Python over the summer, register for the intro courses and the advanced course and drop one or the other depending on how it goes.</p>

<p>my husband taught himself python in the evenings after dinner in about a month.</p>

<p>My D has a double major and a CBH minor. She’s also planning to do University Scholars, but I’m not sure she’ll be able to get all that done in 4 years without some summer credits. She came in with 45 credits.</p>

<p>If he gets into CBH, how much overlap is there among the intro CS sequence and the CBH classes? My impression is that the CBH courses are database heavy, but I’m not sure for certain. If that’s the case, he will be in good shape since he’s already familiar with Access and SQL.</p>

<p>He has credit for CS 150/CS 160/CS 250 by virtue of the AP CS exam. One would hope that UA wouldn’t give him credit and allow to him to start with CS 260 if he wasn’t prepared. Since he’s pretty good at programming, I would think that he could close any knowledge gap quickly, but I don’t know enough to determine that with certainty.</p>

<p>I think we might have to try to sort all this out when we visit.</p>

<p>Since CBH is not CS-based, there really isn’t over-lap. </p>

<p>The name CBH is a bit of a misnomer. In fact, at some point there was a lobby to change the name to avoid confusing, but because it’s a minor, changing the name was never approved by the top folks at Bama.</p>

<p>From the website:</p>

<p>"The CBHP gives outstanding students majoring in any field the opportunity to work one-on-one with professors while applying computing technology to a research project in their major field of study. Whether you want to be a doctor, lawyer, chemical engineer, marketing executive, or English professor, applying research skills and computing technology to your career field is essential for success.</p>

<p>During their freshman year, students complete an intensive series of courses on complex problem solving, the use of computers, project management and research fundamentals. These essential skills enable students to quickly learn and adapt to technologies required for faculty-directed research projects. Throughout their sophomore to senior years, CBHP students select a research project in which the student will work closely with a faculty member who will serve as a project director. Students will typically work on projects in areas related to their academic discipline; however, they may elect to work in an unrelated field to challenge themselves and broaden their exposure to academic research."</p>

<p>The key element of this program appears to be research, but the use of computers appears to be an important component. Maybe someone can educate me about what exactly this program is and what the coursework entails. If you have non-computer types in this program, at least some of the program has to involved in getting them up to speed on computer technology. What does that training involve and what are the student learning in the CBH courses?</p>

<p>Only 2 classes (one frosh fall class, one frosh spring class) are involved with teaching programming. </p>

<p>Once you’re a soph and beyond, the class only meets one hour a week and those are for presentations, etc…not learning anything about technology. You spend non-class time with your research prof.</p>

<p>Thanks. There are CS majors in CBH so I guess it all gets sorted out. He may not even get into the program so there’s no need to get hung about it. Do you know when students are notified about CBH?</p>

<p>Thanks. There are CS majors in CBH so I guess it all gets sorted out. He may not even get into the program so there’s no need to get hung about it. Do you know when students are notified about CBH?</p>

<p>Usually around April the finalists find out which ones were ultimately selected.</p>

<p>The name of CBHP was going to be changed, but then-Provost, now President Judy Bonner apparently put her foot down. The Honors College’s official recruiting methods apparently encourage students to replace Computer-Based with Research when thinking about the program. It is also worth noting that one of the largest donors for CBHP, Cathy Randall, is still actively involved at UA. </p>

<p>I’ve been meaning to ask Dr. Sharpe for the price list given to major donors for the naming rights to various parts of the Honors College and see how much it would cost to rename CBHP. It would likely only be a couple million dollars.</p>

<p>For the past couple years, many people have expected that I would graduate early and in fact I could have graduated a semester early with a triple major and master’s degree, but I am choosing to stay for my 8th semester. In short, there are definitely ways to spend 8 semesters at UA even if one enters with lots of college credit.</p>

<p>My son entered Bama with 65 credits, thanks to his AP exam performance. He will graduate with a double major and a double minor (one is CBHP). In fact, he finishes his degree requirements this fall, so in the spring, he has some freedom to take some classes that he would not otherwise take, including one at the law school. He originally planned on three majors and a masters, but an outside scholarship prohibited him from enrolling in a masters program. So your student has lots of options with lots of credit. My son is taking some classes that will broaden his knowledge base for grad/law school. He may have not had that opportunity had he not had all those credits.</p>

<p>In my state you can get 16 retroactive college credits for taking 4 yrs of foreign language in high school. I don’t fault students for doing it, but it seems like gaming the system to me.</p>

<p>On the topic of AP credit, my S school does not offer AP Calculus, but he’s going to take the AP exam. I just became aware that for the AP Calculus BC exam, there is a subscore for AB. Will UA accept the subscore for AP credit?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I don’t think so. Are you asking…If he gets a 2 on the BC exam, but gets a higher score on the AB section, will Bama give credit for Cal I? I don’t think so.</p>

<p>Calculus AB 3 MATH 125 4 MA
Calculus AC 3 MATH 125 and MATH 126 8 MA</p>

<p>If he doesn’t do well enough on BC, can he then take a CLEP test?
Mathematics 5 MATH 115 and MATH 125 7 MA</p>

<p>Riprorin, many students in the College of Engineering take Calculus 1 or Calculus 2 over even if they received a 5 since its so important for an engineering degree. I am not sure how important knowledge of Calc. is for a CS major, however, many CS majors tend to double-major in Math so if this is something he intends to do, my opinion is that an excellent knowledge of those 2 classes is important. Saying this my CS freshman son is not going to take these classes over and will go into Calc. 3, however in his senior year in hs he had Calculus BC every day for the entire year for 90 minutes, had an excellent teacher and got a 5 so he feels he is ready for that next class.</p>

<p>He goes to a Catholic HS with 150 students so courses are limited. There is a large public school nearby that offers a lot more advanced courses and the district even pays for college courses at the local university, but we didn’t feel it was the best option. He’s breezing through the calculus class, he’ll just have to pick up the BC portion. It would be best though he could take the BC test and worst case get AB credit.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>