Our CA tax dollars at work

<p>“UC is right to accept more foreign students”</p>

<p>[Readers</a> Forum: UC right to accept more foreign students - ContraCostaTimes.com](<a href=“http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_15589186?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com&nclick_check=1]Readers”>http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_15589186?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com&nclick_check=1)</p>

<p>“Quite simply, in-state students taken as a whole, are less academically qualified than out-of-state students.”</p>

<p>Foreign students also pay full price, I believe. I’m sure their academic qualifications aren’t the only motivation behind this…</p>

<p>Yeah, looks like it’s all about $$$.</p>

<p>That’s so weird… If California students must go out of state and pay higher tuitions there… does that balance out the money going into the state with that that is coming out?</p>

<p>“Quite simply, in-state students taken as a whole, are less academically qualified than out-of-state students.”</p>

<p>Because our tax dollars are not working. Our tax dollars are reduced by corporate tax breaks to the tune of $5 billion, and those tax dollars that are left are not going to schools.</p>

<p>Zarair, UC stands to make much more money from OOS students than they ever would from an in-state student. It doesn’t matter to them if a California student pays full tuition at U of Virginia because they wouldn’t have seen any of that money, anyway.</p>

<p>The state of California allocates a certain amount of money each year to the UC for educating its student population. Each year the UC also projects its capacity for how many students it can reasonably educate without compromising quality. With the budget crunch, the population of students the state can fund shrank. But the UC’s capacity has not changed very much. If the UC takes on additional in-state students to fill out the capacity, each campus would be losing money for those students since there is zero state funding for them. By taking on OOS and international students, the UC can use the additional funds (tuition) to make up some of the budget shortfalls and improve facilities, student services, and other areas that need money.</p>

<p>Given the situation, it’s unfair to say that the UC is “cutting spaces for California residents” because the reality is that the state of California does not have funding to educate its student population (unlike k-12 where we just make do by packing more students into the classrooms).</p>

<p>The article makes arguments that may work if the UC decides to go private; but as a state-supported institution, it is the UC’s responsibility to educate California’s student population. From a purely practical perspective, it’s not about rankings or reputation but about how the tax payers of California expect their tax dollars to be spent … and that would be on in-state students.</p>

<p>We are paying OOS rates at Irvine. I think my son truly wants to become a Californian. We found the money for the first year. Was tough though. Funny this second year, although tuition increased about $2100 for him they awarded him a $4200 grant. Was a pleasant surprise. May actually cost a little less the second year. I have this feeling they will work with us because we still are contributing quite a bit more than an in-stater.</p>