Our visit including Blount Initiative

I don’t want to duplicate what’s already been said about visits in other threads but do want to tell others about our time visting Alabama and learning about Blount since that it something that comes up occasionally and there isn’t as much info about.

First, my D is different from most posters here as she is not a STEM oriented kid, and she is not at the Presidential scholarship level. Reading CC you would think that everyone is a Presidential scholar. Well my D is a humanities kind of kid, planning to major in English, and is at the “Foundation in Excellence” level which is half tuition. She is in Honors College and her scholarship puts Alabama at the same price as our instate flagship, where she would not qualify for Honors. We were a bit worried that she wouldn’t be treated as well because she wasn’t at the same level as other kids.

I am happy to say that we were treated very well at the school. We met with Honors College people who were wonderful and had the personalized itinerary all prepared for her. My D’s reaction at the end of the day was “Everyone knew who I was, everyone knew my name”. It was quite impressive when we compare it to visits at other schools. I don’t think she was treated any differently because she did not have a Presidential scholarship. We requested that we be able to meet with Dr Hornsby, director of the Blount Initiative as D was very interested in the initiative as it described on the website. Our schedule was the general Campus Tour, lunch, Blount, then Honors College info session.

Dr. Hornsby is the director of the Blount Undergraduate Initiative, and also an English professor. For those who aren’t familiar with it, the Blount Initiative is a small LLC in the School of Arts and Sciences, that is focused on liberal arts. Students take 5 Blount courses, plus two seminar series, and end up with a minor in Liberal Arts. While the courses are quite varied, I think I can best describe them as a mix of history, philosophy, English, and current events. It seems designed for kids who love deep thinking and learning and debating about ideas, which describes my D well. The class sizes are small, I think they said 15 was average, and the freshman classes are actually held on the first floor of Blount Hall, where all the freshmen in the program live. Dr. Hornsby was very enthusiastic about the program and gave us a real feel for what it was like with lots of anecdotes about what happens in a class, what the students do outside of class, etc. After hearing Dr. Hornsby’s take on the program, we had a tour of Blount Hall with a student who is a sophomore in the Initiative. It was nice to be able to hear her take on the program also.

Probably the one downside of the Initiative is that the housing in Blount Hall is not as nice as most of the suite housing. It consists of two doubles connected into a suite and sharing a bathroom, but with no common area, and no cooking facilities. They do make up for it with many common areas in the dorm and cooking areas for the students to use, but its definitely a step down from the dorms at Ridgecrest that we saw on the tour. D was not thrilled with the idea of 4 girls sharing a single bathroom.

Bottom line for the visit is that D liked Alabama a lot. She didn’t come away with a decision made, but I think it is in the top 2 right now. She also has decided not to apply to the school she was planning to apply to RD in January, as she feels that her choices now are all good (she has 4 acceptances so far with 2 schools still pending), and there really isn’t a need to get more. I’m quite happy about that.

Wow, Blount sounds like a program I would have loved at her age (can we go to college again?). So glad your daughter enjoyed the visit and felt welcomed and excited about the opportunities. That’s great. Wishing you both clarity and peace with your decision!

“It seems designed for kids who love deep thinking and learning and debating about ideas” Reminds me of my son. He lived in Blount second semester of freshman year, but was not in the Blount Initiative. (Blount also houses some Honors students who are not part of the Blount Initiative.)

Concerning the Blount bathrooms: There is a separate small room for the toilet, and the vanity area is large with two sinks and four drawers (plus some open storage under the sinks). The shower area is at one side of the vanity, while the “toilet room” is at the other end. Some girls added an extra shower curtain on a tension rod, that divided the vanity area from shower stall area, to add additional privacy. Not as nice as the newer suite-style dorms, but not bad…and of course, Blount costs less! (There is also a half-bath on each floor near the lounge.) me20934: Glad your daughter enjoyed her visit!

Thank you for the report, @me29034!

Blount housing isn’t as nice as the Honors suites, but it’s also not as expensive, and it lends to a lot more socializing, in general, because the kids want to get out of those smaller spaces. My son made a wonderful group of friends living at Blount last year and attended the Blount formal this fall even though he’s not a member of the Initiative. He’s in mechanical engineering, but he was originally looking at studying engineering in a liberal arts college environment, so Blount was a wonderful fit for him and a nice counterweight to all those STEM classes.

Good luck to your daughter. And no worries about the various scholarship levels in terms of how she’ll be treated. It’s not like professors know which kids get which scholarships (with the exception perhaps of the very elite UFE and CBH), so all HC kids will be treated the same.

Roll Tide