Outside recommendation letter

My kid has 3 people outside the school who can write recommendation letters but can’t decide which one to ask. I was told that she could ask all 3 to send the recommendation letters to the school counselor. The school counselor would read and pick the best one and then upload it to the common app. Is this legit? Anybody has heard something like this?

I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask people to write an LoR knowing there’s only a 1/3 chance the student would use it.

Have your student choose one…the one that they believe would add the most to their application. Some schools won’t allow extra LoRs, so make sure to have your student check their college list and only send to schools that do allow them.

7 Likes

The sticky thing is that the letter writers would not know that there is a chance that their letters would not be used. Having the school counselor read the letter first is to make sure the letter is helpful for college applications.

2 Likes

That’s not a sticky thing, that’s just deceptive. Pick one.

5 Likes

Agree. Pick one person to ask.

Totally irrelevant. IMO it’s not ethical to ask someone to spend time writing an LoR that is unlikely to be used.

If your kid isn’t sure any of the three LoRs would be additive to the application, then don’t ask for one. IMO it’s uncommon that a 3rd or 4th LoR (after the counselor LoR and 1-2 core teacher LoRs) is additive to the application, or is it likely to make a difference in the admission decision.

3 Likes

Please don’t waste people’s time by asking them to write an LOR that may not even be used. If you’re not confident enough to choose one of the potential writers, then skip the outside rec altogether. You don’t need to submit one and only should when you feel strongly that it will enhance the application. You clearly don’t feely that strongly or you wouldn’t be proposing this game of LOR roulette.

4 Likes

OK, thanks. Would sending in more than one outside LoR hurt the application? I understand that the admission officers may not like to read too many letters.

At some schools, they don’t want outside letters.

At others, it’s fine - but whether or not it moves a needle, nobody knows. Doubtful.

I’d look at the schools of interest.

btw - the letter should be downloaded to common app by the writer, not your counselor who shouldn’t even see it - or am i missing something?

Outside letters can be very helpful in some cases. My kid had two as part of a music supplement. I would ask the admissions office (not a student on the phone btw) if they accept outside letters and how many. Then your son can decide which one(s) to ask. But yeah, don’t ask for more than you need so you can choose. My kids checked the box for not seeing their letters. The GC shouldn’t either I don’t think.

3 Likes

You need to look at what each college accepts. Some do not want any supplemental LORs at all.

I agree that one supplemental LOR could be a plus but only if it has positive information or a viewpoint that is not elsewhere on the application.

I would send no more than one additional LOR (especially if your child is not certain they will add to the application). Admissions officers are not looking for more to read. There is a saying often quoted on CC “the thicker the file, the thicker the applicant” – I would not suggest your child be that person.

I’d suggest you and your child discuss the merits of each potential supplemental LOR and choose one person (or ask nobody) to write one.

1 Like

Some colleges are very specific about the numbers and types of recommendation letters they will accept. Please read each college website carefully. You will find all sorts of ways…some places only want two academic letters of recommendation and nothing else. Some colleges will accept outside LORs in addition to the two academic ones. You have to check each school.

I agree with others. Pick who you think will be used…don’t waste people’s time.

Also, are these outside LORs ones from people who have had direct work or academic contact with your student…or are these from people who have positions that you think will benefit your child. There is a difference. Please pick ones who have had direct work or academic contact with your child.

just ask the school. We toured William & Mary and they said “send as many as you want! We had one applicant send in 15!” I thought that sounded crazy and part of me hoped that one applicant didn’t get accepted :wink:

1 Like

If allowed, and truly meaningful, outside letters can help a lot with admissions. Many students have teachers who either don’t know them well, or don’t know anything about what the student is doing outside of school. The outside letters should be warranted, and really contribute something not otherwise apparent in the rest of the application materials.