Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>@gdbaby </p>

<p>I’m a double major in philosophy and politics, with a minor in psychology :smiley: </p>

<p>If you’re coming to NYU, personally, I would certainly recommend looking into doing a philosophy minor (if not major) if you’re interested in the mind, ethics (social and political ethics) and so and so forth. NYU has the best faculty (i.e. most world-renown) of philosophy anywhere in the world. The only school that compares to NYU for philosophy is Oxford (which NYU is still better than); and of course, NYU is an entire level above Harvard. We’re host to some of the most controversial and world-leading philosophers - Peter Unger (who I’ve had as a professor twice), Ronald Dworkin, David Velleman (Also a professor of mine), Sharon Street all of which are world renown ethicists. NYU is also outstanding in philosophy of mind, as it’s host to Ned Block, and Thomas Nagel.</p>

<p>Of course, none of these names mean anything to you, but they’ve written some of the most profound philosophical works of contemporary philosophy. I personally chose to attend NYU over a number of T20 and the ‘big publics’ because of the philosophy program.</p>

<p>That said, of course, the politics faculty here is also outstanding (which is the second reason I came here :smiley: )</p>

<p>Of course, other things that go well with politics are psychology, sociology and economics. (In case you’re considering other possible majors/minors)</p>

<p>@NYU2013, where do you apply for merit-based schoolarship? Is that a different process from applying finanical aid - which would not involve evaluating your family’s financial status?</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> and Grants](<a href=“Scholarships and Grants”>Scholarships and Grants)</p>

<p>

</p>

1 Like

<p>@ pelicularities</p>

<p>Thank you for posting that link :)</p>

<p>I agree totally with the description of NYU aid or rather lack there of…</p>

<p>My dd is graduating this May. We had a max EFC of 2500 on the best year and this past year was closer to 1300… the closest she has gotten is 50% with grants and scholarships.</p>

<p>She is graduating 1 yr early so that she can save on the cost of tuition in loans that she is responsible for after graduating.</p>

<p>Basically there are enough people willing to pay for their children to attend NYU without much aid so the very rarely give “full ride” type grants/scholarships.</p>

<p>That being said; for my dd it is totally worth her cost to have attended NYU. She is a Film/TV student at Tisch and she would never have had the internships (4 semesters of internships to date including: Dr. Oz, Jimmy Fallon, and the Onion) and professional connections if she had not attended.</p>

<p>If you need the aid then don’t plan on getting much from NYU.</p>

<p>@NYU2013</p>

<p>Thank you for your suggestions. I am, indeed, interested in social and political ethics and philosophy seems like a great option for me, though it still sounds a little bit heavy and serious and all that haha. I already made up my mind to attend NYU so I will definitely look into studying Philosophy there along with Politics. Thank you again. </p>

<p>Just one question, does double-majoring require more amount of work that does one major?</p>

<p>Not really. You need 128 credits to graduate. Each major is 40 credits. </p>

<p>Really, I don’t see the point in not double majoring; you have well over 40 credits left to complete after your general education requirements and politics major.</p>

<p>In reality, a double major just fills in all the extra credits you need anyway. I see it as more sensible to double major than to take pointless classes that don’t count towards a major or minor.</p>

<p>Hey guys,
I just got my financial aid package today and I’d like some help understanding it. I clicked on my summary and all I see are the numbers below. </p>

<p>Do those numbers mean that I get no financial aid and just 63,000 dollars in loans? And my accepted figure is 0, does that change anything? </p>

<p>Thanks guys. </p>

<p>Award Description Category Offered Accepted
Early Decision Unsub Loan 5,500.00 0.00
Early Decision PLUS Loan 57,930.00 0.00</p>

<p>Aid Year Totals 63,430.00 0.00</p>

<p>Northernlight,
About 400 Martin Luther King Jr. scholarships are given out each year to incoming Freshman. You can get this award without financial need, but it’s possible that financial need may still be a consideration and may increase your chance of getting the award. These awards are given to the tippy top students applying.</p>

<p>Most of the other awards are either granted based on financial need as well as merit, or have very specific qualifications.</p>

<p>Talent scholarships are granted for music, art, theatre, film making and dance. These do not require need.</p>

<p>Other than that, NYU does not award merit aid (without financial need.) I would also check to see if applying ED will effect an award. I was told not to expect a possible talent award if D applied ED, since they are reviewed in March for RD candidates only.</p>

1 Like

<p>Jolsonkikuchi,</p>

<p>No aid. That is what they are saying. Unfortunately D’s looks very similar, although her total was in the $59,000 range. I guess the total for your major (school) is higher.</p>

<p>But don’t worry, by the time I pay for art supplies and fees for art classes, I’m sure my total will match yours and then some. :(</p>

<p>NYU2013, most of your advice I buy, but just because a course doesnt meet a core or major requirement doesnt make it useless. There is nothing wrong with exploring new paths, especially while in college. Sometimes taking a course and realizing something isnt for you is a very valuable lesson. Sometimes learning basics is helpful.</p>

<p>jolson, if you parents are going to take on a quarter of a million in loans, they are crazy.</p>

<p>There’s a clear and distinct difference between taking a few classes to explore what you like and using 60ish credits worth of classes to ‘explore’; that’s an entire major (10 classes) and then another 5 classes. I would hope, that with 15 classes left over, you know yourself well enough to know what things you might be interested in and then likely pick up a second major or a minor.</p>

<p>thanks, I’m very surprised that I got no need-based aid because my EFC was quite low (in the 5000 range) and I was hoping to get at least 10 or 20 thousand dollars in financial aid… </p>

<p>@NYU2013, do you think that with an EFC of around 5000, I can appeal my financial aid summary and ask for more? Or are they really that stingy?</p>

<p>@ jolsonkikuchi</p>

<p>You can try to appeal for more FA. However, typically, the best way to appeal financial aid is if you applied RD, wherein you would be able to compare financial aid packages and try to have NYU match another comparable school’s package. </p>

<p>However, since you applied ED (I’m assuming), that route isn’t open to you. That said, you can call financial aid and try to work it out with them.</p>

<p>I’m also going to suggest that if your EFC is around $5,000/yr and you would have to take out almost all tuition and expenses in loans per year (around $50,000/yr) that attending NYU may not be in your best interest - as you cannot take out that much in loans (you would need your parents to cosign and they would have to have outstanding credit to be able to sign for $200,000 worth of debt) and trying to pay back that much debt would be a HUGE financial burden.</p>

<p>Is the amnt of offered money the total money we need, including board and room, in order to complete our intended major?</p>

<p>@gdbaby77</p>

<p>I’m not sure. The total cost of attendance is somewhere around $60,000. So… What they’ve offered you, if it’s $60,000/yr or somewhere near there, then yes, that’s all you need.</p>

1 Like

<p>Gdbaby77, just beware that the money offered may also be in the form of loans for you and your parents and work study which is money you still have to pay.</p>

<p>I just wanted to contribute this… I was not expecting much whatsoever from NYU financially, with an EFC of 0 but in fact, NYU has given me the best financial aid package so far from all 9 schools I applied to. They’ve made it so it is certainly affordable for me and my family (even excluding loans) and I also have an older sister attending another pretty expensive private university at the moment. I didn’t have any outstanding stats at all; I’d say pretty average for a typical applicant. I don’t know if I’m in the minority (I probably am considering all the people who are disgruntled with what they got) but I thought I’d give my two cents just to say it’s actually possible to attend there even if you don’t have tons of money (and believe me we don’t).</p>

<p>If it’s merit based, and I received enough scholarships to pay for tuition alone, do they really want me?</p>

<p>I got accepted to LSP and would like to spend my freshman year in Paris (they gave me the option).</p>

<p>I was wondering if you could judge how good/bad my financial aid offer is:</p>

<p>I got
$29,250 Offered and
$61,960 Accepted ($3,000 of which is work study)</p>

<p>My EFC is $4399.
(oh, and my parents are divorced if that means anything…)</p>