Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>I received an annual 36,000 CAS scholarship and the rest can be covered in federal loans. It is better than the Northeastern offer.</p>

<p>Cricket, read carefully, how much of the aid is loans? What types?</p>

1 Like

<p>^
I did. Everything other than the offered (which is a $1,200 Pell Grant and a $28,050 scholarship) and the work study, it is all various loans.</p>

<p>Hereā€™s the breakdown:</p>

<p>Award Description Category Offered Accepted </p>

<p>|Liberal Studies Scholarship| |Scholarship| |28,050.00| |28,050.00|<br>
|Pell Grant| |Grant| |1,200.00| |1,200.00|<br>
|Federal Work Study| |Work/Study| |3,000.00| |0.00|<br>
|Federal Perkins Loan| |Loan| |2,400.00| |0.00|<br>
|Stafford Loan 1| |Loan| |3,500.00| |0.00|<br>
|Unsubsidized Loan 1| |Loan| |2,000.00| |0.00|
|Federal PLUS Loan 1| |Loan| |21,810.00| |0.00| </p>

<p>|Aid Year Totals| ||61,960.00| |29,250.00|</p>

<p>What do you think, kayf? I donā€™t understand much about loansā€¦</p>

1 Like

<p>We didnā€™t submist the Fafsa. Can my daughter still receive a merit scholarship? Sheā€™s been admitted to College of Arts and Sciences, but no financial aid shows up</p>

1 Like

<p>^
Yes, I believe it is still possible to receive a merit scholarship.
You can still get need-based as well if you submitted a CSS/Profile.</p>

<p>@film027 the same thing happened to me, I didnā€™t get any financial aid whatsoever. I guess itā€™s because I was deferred from CAS to LSP, but I donā€™t know. My EFC is 5800 and the only thing offered other than loans is a work study.</p>

<p>Question: When I applied, I was told my GPA was a 3.5 so thatā€™s what I put on my application, but I just found out that at the end of my junior year it was actually a 3.98, so if the scholarships are merit-based, is there any way I could let them (the financial aid office or whatever) know that? If I did could I maybe receive more financial aid? And my GPA has only gone up since then. Iā€™m thinking I didnā€™t get any money because of that.</p>

<p>Cricket, that Federal Plus loan is a loan that your parents will have to apply AND qualify for you every year youā€™re at NYU - meaning theyā€™re going to have to take on $80,000+ worth of debt. Can they afford that?</p>

<p>When do financial aid letters come out??</p>

<p>NYU2013,
I am discussing this with them now. Thank you for the warning :)</p>

<p>Can someone please tell me whether international students are eligible for financial aid or any scholarships? And how do they actually work?
Any help would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Hey Susannesj, I have the same question :slight_smile: Any feedback at all would be appreciated, I really want to go to NYU, but wonā€™t be able to without some financial help :(</p>

<p>This is what NYU says about International Financial Aid:</p>

<p>ā€œMany International Students inquire about obtaining financial aid to assist with the expenses of a degree program. There is very little financial aid available to International Students and NYU has limited resources for financial aid for International Students.ā€ </p>

<p>Typically, international students get little to no aid. Domestic students do not even receive sufficient aid.</p>

<p>nevermind, sorry</p>

<p>Thank you for the information! </p>

<p>I really want to go to NYU but would be difficult without any aid. Btw, are there any merit-based scholarships available for internationals?</p>

<p>Are the scholarships offered by NYU renewable?
I heard that NYU takes away a lot of scholarships after the first year regardless of gpa or financial need.
I was offered a Stern Scholarship but Iā€™m not sure if I will be able to get it all four years.</p>

<p>Scholarships should be renewable each year - you can call to find out and make sure. </p>

<p>Iā€™m not sure if there are merit-based scholarships for Internationals. However, NYUā€™s FA is based off of need and merit, so technically, merit plays a part in determining your FA.</p>

<p>Any helpful feedback is much appreciated! My s received 10,000 in aid from NYU CAS for fall admission, and 3,000 in work study. We are from NY, his intended major is econ and poly sci. SATS are 2210, SAT IIs 780 US Hx, 700 Stats, 5s on APs, He is captain of tennis team, and a hopeful for walkon tennis. NYU is his obvious first choice. Two other schools, have offered him fifteen, one has comparable tuition, the other is about seven grand lower. Good schools both in econ and poly sci, but not NYU! Question, is a work study job for 3,000 guaranteed? Any hope for improving the package to make it a little more doable???</p>

<p>If heā€™s been offered work study, so long as he goes and arranges it at the beginning of each semester, then itā€™s guaranteed for him.</p>

<p>Can you afford to take out all of loans heā€™s going to need? It sounds like thereā€™s a remaining $45,000/yr to pay for tuition, no?</p>

<p>My mother wanted me to ask about method of payment of tuition, fees, room and board, etc. </p>

<p>The difference between the cost of attendance and the scholarships, grants, and work study i have been offered/given is around $20,000 which we have been offered in PLUS loans. My mother is wondering if we pay the majority of this difference in cash (this is a completely hypothetical question, I doubt we could afford to do this) rather than take out the loans would NYU get suspicious/possibly take away the scholarships and grants I have been offered based on need?</p>

<p>I have absolutely no idea what would happen in such a scenario. Could someone help?</p>