Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>Is $23600 after 4 years too much debt (not just for NYU but for ANY school)? </p>

<p>It doesn’t really help that I’m going to be a communications student, which means a weaker job outlook but I figure if I work really really hard and intern and whatnot I’ll be able to repay it without much problem? I just don’t really know how to gauge loan debt and how much is just way too much for undergrad (and I’m not sure if I want to go to grad school after).</p>

<p>For a four year school, 23,600 isn’t really that much. It’s only a little over 5,000 each year and you would expect to pay that even if your EFC was 0. Unless you got a full ride on an academic scholarship or something similar. Also, make sure you are getting Safford and Perkins loans, because you don’t want to be paying parent PLUS loans. If you really think 23,600 is going to be hard to pay off, you can always go the community college route first for the first two years, then transfer and you’ll be cutting your loans in half.</p>

<p>Will NYU give more financial aid if you show interest in them before applying? Like if you put their name down for National College Match (from the PSAT)? Or does it not even matter?</p>

<p>^it doesn’t matter! They are stingy with their money. If they really want you, REALLY want you, they may give you a decent FA package.</p>

<p>So, what do they consider desirable? High test scores? Ethnicity? Overall uniqueness and individuality? For example, I have decent test scores, GPA etc, but what makes me stand out is my excessive improvement from freshman year. My GPA went from a 3.0 freshman year, to a 3.7 sophomore year, and now its a 4.4. In addition, I take a lot of classes at a community college near my, concurrent with my high school classes, because I am graduating early senior year so that I can travel to Europe. I also have a part time job and take AP classes.
So does anyone have an opinion on how desirable NYU would find me or how much scholarship money they’d give me?</p>

<p>No one can give you an accurate estimate. There’s no formula that the admissions board uses to determine who is desirable and who is not. It also depends on how competitive admission for that particular year is, etc. </p>

<p>The only way you could really find out would be to apply and find out.</p>

<p>Hi, I’m an international student accepted into NYU Stern.
As an international, I was not offered scholarship - nor could I apply to one ( you have to be a U.S. citizen ). My question is: is Stern worth a 260,000 debt? Would you choose going to NYU with that amount of debt rather than attending the best university in your homecountry for free?</p>

<p>Absolutely not.</p>

<p>I have just received notice that my son’s tuition at NYU will increase tuition by 3.8% next year. </p>

<p>I’m appalled that tuition will once again be going up. The university doesn’t seem to have any regard for the debt that young people like my son will be taking on.</p>

<p>Agreed. We just finished with NYU and the tuition always goes up, yet they NEVER increased my D aid, even when our EFC changed. It’s shameful what they do.</p>

<p>Re tuition increases - just starting out but we did the math and it definitely looks like it is worth the $ to do the Tuition Stabilization Plan. It’s $1,000 a semester or $2,000 per year but, given the historic trend in tuition prices, this is well worth it. Get in touch with the Bursar’s office.</p>

<p>I really dont think the tuition stabilization plan is worth the 8000 dollars. Most students, as my daughter did, do off campus housing when they get to upper grades and that is where you save a bundle of money.</p>

<p>Does anyone know anything about scholarships for transfer students (preferably CAS)? Or if you’re a transfer student, how are you paying for NYU?</p>

<p>Milkandsugar,
We are in a similar situation. When my D was admitted to NYU she received her financial aid package which consisted of loans – tons of loans (despite the fact that our EFC was far below what would be needed to cover tuition). This year her younger brother is entering college, so we now have two in college. I thought that would make a difference. However, our EFC is less than it was last year, the tuition is higher, but the aid remains the same – loans.</p>

<p>In fact, when she was first admitted we took a trip to NYU to speak with someone in financial aid to see if her aid could be increased. We were treated terribly. The financial aid officer told us that - "Although I can see that there is a huge deficit between the tuition cost and your EFC… there is nothing we can do about it”. </p>

<p>I just hope that NYU doesn’t expect these kids, who were awarded nothing other than a horrendous amout of debt, to “give back” to the university after they graduate!</p>

<p>2incollege123,
I feel terrible for you! You can have your daughter formally appeal the FA. It is an online process. I would also speak to someone in an authority position. Their FA is horrendous in my opinion! They are suppose to consider your change in EFC. The few times I spoke with them, it was over the phone and they were very pleasant. I hope you can find a way to have them increasew the amount of aid. Im so glad Im done with them. I would do things differently if I had a do over! And BTW, we have no intention on contributing to any of their funds or campaigns for alumni giving. Unfortunately, this is the same reasoning as to why their endowment is not up to par with other major, prestigious universities.</p>

<p>There are many reasons why NYU’s endowment isn’t as high as other prestigious universities, but I doubt people’s anger over their financial aid package is a major factor. </p>

<p>My first D was lucky enough to get a merit aid talent scholarship which amounted to $44k over 4 years at NYU. Our second D really wanted to attend NYU too, and we made the decision to allow her to apply ED–knowing that she would not be eligible for any talent scholarships, but that applying ED would increase her chances of getting in. Although paying full fare is not fun, it was our choice. D did not have to apply ED and we could have had her consider merit aid from other schools. (She rec’d $14K/ year from Pratt before she withdrew her applications to other schools.)</p>

<p>I know it is difficult to say no to a child, but sometimes it is necessary. If we had to take on crazy debt to send either of our D’s to NYU, they would have had to go elsewhere. NYU does not meet need. They are not treating you poorly if they do not change their policy for you. I understand the frustration, but the truth is that there is no shortage of families willing to come up with the money to send their kids to NYU. If the school really, really wants you, it is reflected in great financial aid packages. For everyone else, it is one’s choice to attend and take on the debt. Sorry if this sounds harsh.</p>

<p>uskoolfish, it is one thing to turn down an acceptance because of poor FA, but it is another when you have attended NYU, supposedly are part of the school family and your financial situation changes and the school is not willing to work with you as in the case of 2incollege123.
Our experience was different, daughter received a decent FA package, 48,000 over 4 yrs, OK, but she turned down better offers from Johns Hopkins, BU. It was our choice, no regrets, she loved it there. Unfortunately, I spent time with a lot of my D friends and their parents during graduation festivities and their sentiment was the same about not giving back to the school in the way of alumni giving, for some of the same reasons mentioned. Is it a major reason? No, but part of it and the disapproval of the expansion plan and use of the money they have raised.</p>

<p>We are in a position of being able to afford NYU based on H’s current salary situation and the fact that my salary can be used for college expenses. But since anything in life can change, when older D started college, I asked every school she was accepted to what happens if there was a major change in EFC. The majority of schools made it clear that your basic financial aid package for 4 years was determined by what is set as an incoming freshman. If something changes, you can appeal, but despite submitting an updated fafsa each year, your allocated financial aid might not change. I was surprised by this, but NYU is not alone in having this policy. And I know people whose financial aid did not change, despite having their EFC go up. Obviously a family knows ahead of time if a second sibling will be starting college. It is important to figure out what the school’s policy will be, especially if they have already indicated that they do not come close to meeting need. Again, I not trying to be unsympathetic. But I know many people who do not research important issues, hoping that they will just work out somehow.</p>

<p>how does financial aid system work when an internal transfer takes place?</p>

<p>I am a senior at a normal private girls highschool in Korea. I really hope to study in a university in US, especially NYU. I went to New York last summer in a hope to get useful informations about universities in New York. However, since it was during summer vacation, I could not as much information as i expected. After that trip, I fell in love with NYU and my parents are happy to send me there (well, they’ve never seen what NYU is like. i went to US alone.), but the problem is, tuition of NYU is about ten times as expensive as of top private universities in Korea. My parents CANNOT afford it unless I get scholarships. plz tell me if there are scholarships for international students, and if there are, types of it, requirments i need to meet, and how much i can get. My life depends on it. Thank you so much!</p>

<p>*I am a Korea citizen, have never lived in US before.
*really want to study in NYU Gallatin. Is it really difficult to get admission?</p>