Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>From NYU’s web site:</p>

<p>NYU offers limited financial support in the form of institutional grants/scholarships to international freshmen admitted to our New York campus beginning with the Fall 2013 term. Grants/scholarships will be based upon a combination of financial need and academic merit. </p>

<p>NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai will offer generous need-based financial support in the form of grants/scholarships, regardless of citizenship.</p>

<p>^^ So while I would not count on financial aid, it could be possible if NYU really, really wants you to attend. I would say that you would need to be at 75% ile for test scores and GPA and have pretty significant EC’s or a specific talent or accomplishment that makes you unique.</p>

<p>We received the above email, and all we could think is that FA for US students applying to NYU New York will be even worse now…</p>

<p>I just had a quick question and I am sorry of it was already answered. I do not have the time to read all the posts at the moment. First, on my financial aid statement it says there are loan options but they aren’t clickable. Are those mine or no? How do I get them? </p>

<p>Also I got a hefty $26,000 scholarship to tisch a year. I was completely surprised by this. My grades aren’t even close to te averages so I wouldn’t get any merit based scholarships. Is this scholarship based on need or my talent in my tisch dramatic writing portfolio? I would like to relieve it was my talent but I am just curious. </p>

<p>But mostly I want to know about those loans that aren’t clickable. Are they mine? My parents don’t seem to think so. Just want to clear it up because with those loans more than all of my need would be met. </p>

<p>I am still surprised I got in. My gpa is a 3.24 and sat is 1830. Did tisch really like me that much?</p>

<p>You need to accept them - your parents will have to sign for them; they’re likely parent PLUS loans. </p>

<p>FA is based on merit + need. Tisch isn’t very concerned with GPA or SAT, mostly talent.</p>

<p>@Idreamofscreen: you applied ED and got that amount? what is your EFC?</p>

<p>Yeah why is that a lot? I don’t know my efc but I’m not that poor. I think part of it is that my sister is in college. But is part if the money just that nyu wanted me that bad?</p>

<p>if your sister is a top student at NYU, it might influence the scholarships you get. in addition, your efc would be lower since your parents are paying for 2 children to go to an expensive school.</p>

<p>No she doesn’t go to nyu. Se goes to a state school. Te very first post in this thres said that nyu put us into tiers then gives us money based off of FA. So basically I was just wondering if I was in a high tier because they really wanted me or if I got the money because they thought I actually needed it. I didn’t even think nyu would accept me. I guess I’m just being greedy hoping not only did they accept me but rather really wanted me. I’ve never had anyone judge my work. I dot know if I have the talent in screenwriting I think I have because I have nothin to really base it off of yet. And if tey did want me that puts me well above the cloud nine I was on from the acceptance. </p>

<p>Sorry about the typos I’m on an iPhone and it will take to much effort to go back and fix it.</p>

<p>they probably wanted you really bad then, Tisch probably doesn’t take GPA and SATs into as much consideration as Stern or CAS since its an art school. sometimes, you don’t see yourself as great as others may see you. Congrats!</p>

<p>I’m hoping to get into Stern, I’m expecting no financial aid to keep my expectations low lol</p>

<p>I have a $0 FAFSA EFC and a 35 ACT… how much money (ballpark) should I expect to get?</p>

<p>I was accepted early decision but NYU only gave me 1500 dollars of financial aid even though my EFC is around 30k. Is there any way they could give me more money? I would love to go to the school.</p>

<p>Jwang9526,
I hope you have read the entire thread. If you did you will understand that NYU does not give out much aid or meet FA need. Even if you appealed the aid, the most you will get is ~2000.00. I am assuming that you filed FAFSA and CSS profile. You can always call the school and ask. But dont get your hopes up.</p>

<p>As a current NYU student I can confirm that the aid you receive will always be sub-par.</p>

<p>The best tips I can impart would be to look for external scholarships, or to really crush it your first year at NYU, and then apply to every internal/donor based scholarship that NYU has (there are plenty, but you need to be a high performer with financial aid)</p>

<p>I can only speak about NYU Stern, but I received ~10k after my sophomore year, ~20k after my junior year simply because I applied to the donor based scholarships with a convincing story.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>[NYU</a> Using Tuition Dollars To Acquire Administrators? Multimillion Dollar Homes · NYU Local](<a href=“http://nyulocal.com/city/2013/03/11/nyu-using-tuition-dollars-to-acquire-administrators-multimillion-dollar-homes/]NYU”>http://nyulocal.com/city/2013/03/11/nyu-using-tuition-dollars-to-acquire-administrators-multimillion-dollar-homes/)</p>

<p>Does anyone have information about the Lewis Rudin City Scholarship? I received a $20,000 Lewis Rudin City Scholarship as well as a $3,000 College of Nursing scholarship. Has anyone else gotten these two scholarship or has gotten them in the past? I’ve tried looking for information online, but I can’t find anything further than what NYU has on their website.
Are both scholarships renewable so that I will have the same scholarships for all four years of undergraduate study? Is there a GPA requirement?
I will call the financial aid office tomorrow for details. In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about the scholarships, please let me know.</p>

<p>Maddy1031, thanks for that great article. That’s pretty disgusting what they are doing with tuition and people’s hard-earned money. I also think it is terrible that they don’t help NYU families that are in the school already in the event that financial situation changes. That is something to consider because right now, I am unemployed, get no alimony because my h won’t show up in divorce court, and my home is foreclosing. I adore my d, but even with a scholarship, there is no way I could afford to send her to stern. I would hate for her to get there, then when we couldn’t pay, she’d be kicked out. She’s got a full ride to Emory, and we are awaiting a package from USC and GWU. Whoever gives the most, is where she’ll go.</p>

<p>I have read this entire thread and must say that I am very surprised that of all of the private schools that my DD was accepted to (Syracuse, American, and Marquette), NYU (CAS) is the one that offered the very best FA package (not including loans). </p>

<p>Even when taking into account the net cost, NYU comes out ahead of the three schools mentioned above.</p>

<p>I have a question: Is a “CAS Scholarship” renewed automatically from year to year?</p>

<p>I would also be interested in knowing about the CAS scholarship renewal. My daughter received a very generous CAS scholarship as well. We too, were shocked by her FA package at NYU after everything we heard.</p>

<p>@crow2003 and @MSMDAD, i was wondering if you were willing to share how generous? I still haven’t received my FA but I was accepted to CAS and am hoping to receive something generous…it would be greatly appreciated</p>

<p>blandior, I am going to send you a PM. For future applicants, please post your stats on the accepted students thread.</p>