Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 2)

Glad your brothers have come @compmom, and hope that hospice makes things more comfortable for all of you.

I had posted about my DiL’s elderly and difficult mother – the Office of Aging was unsuccessful in getting her to respond to phones calls, texts, or email, so they sent a caseworker to the home. She refused them entrance, escalated to threats, etc. and the caseworker filed a report to document all this. There is nothing else to be done at this point. The caseworker followed up with DiL and assured her that DIL has no legal liability (the mom sometimes throws that out as a threat) and should prepare herself for some worse case scenarios since that seems to be the road the mom is choosing.

Glad the DiL has no liability and that the caseworker will work with her rather than against her. I am wondering what those worse case scenarios might be…

There is a concern that the mom will fall, and not be able to call for assistance and/or any assistance will be too late or unable to enter the home. There are less realistic concerns but I think that is the primary one. At this point, there really isn’t anything to effectuate a change, and the boundaries DIL has set in this relationship are more than warranted. The officer who initially contacted my son/DIL seemed to think they had been at fault and should move the mom closer to them, or move to the home, and I think it made DiL question her own judgement some. Keep in mind my DIL is 25, so it’s a lot for one child to manage.

Ok, kind of freaking out. DH and I had always planned on my parents and my MIL coming to live with us if and when the time came. My FIL passed away 3 years ago, and my MIL has been in very good health. My father had a massive coronary last summer, with the pandemic it all fell on my mom to handle. They were both in pretty good health, but my dad is in the beginning stages of dementia. His heart is doing really well, and he’s completely cleared, but mentally and physically he’s become quite frail, like he’s aged 5 years. Mom called a couple days ago to say she’s putting the house up for sale, and they’re coming to our house. This was always the long term plan, but we thought we would have a couple years while our DD is in college before they would be living with us. Given everything that’s happened with his health and the pandemic, they want to be out from under taking care of a house. I was hoping DH and I would have some time alone, but it’s only been 6 months. We just moved into our retirement house last summer. We’ve been trying to fix everything in the main part of the house; we haven’t even been able to talk to a contractor about turning the back 2 rooms into an in-law suite. I think I have 60 days max to get to the NE and clean out my childhood home and get them packed up and moved here. Unfortunately, the area they live in is in decline, so no good resources for organizers. AHHHHHH!!! Sorry, just needed to vent!

1 Like

So sorry—this sounds very challenging! Wishing you the very best @Tigerwife92!

2 Likes

Thanks! I know I’ll get through it; I always do. It’s time to put on my girl panties and start packing.

You have LOTS of company! Hope your H can work to get your house in shape for your folks in your absence.

1 Like

@Tigerwife92 prices are high right now in the NE, with open house lines around the block. So selling should not be difficult. The situation at your end sounds really challenging. Good luck and hope you have considerable help!

1 Like

My mother’s hospice aide (unvaccinated, I didn’t know) tested positive last Friday and my mother tested positive on Monday. Now, my mother had COVID diagnosed 12/31 and has had two vaccines. But her facility has again quarantined her. She had returned from hospital very disoriented and had finally gotten back to the routine of going down for dinner and puzzle table.

For me, the result is that since I violated my policy of not going indoors on Easter, for 20 minutes (most of my visit was outside, and I was double masked) to help her carry gifts to her apartment, I was honest and reported this possible exposure to my vaccine site, at the recommendation of my doctor. The vaccine site folks were so sympathetic and agreed this is a gray area but there is now a 14 day hold on my vaccine scheduling, and by then it will be even further out since our state’s vaccines are opening on the 19th, the day I can schedule again. I am 70 and will be in line with young people who haven’t been as careful. My daughter has had to change her travel plans and I am forced to look at apartments and move, while unvaccinated.

This is all the result of hospice sending an unvaccinated aide into my mother’s apartment. The assisted living and hospice kept assuring me it was safe to go into her apartment, and everyone else has. But except for that 20 minutes on Easter, I have only met her outside. I seriously feel cursed. This is my 5th rescheduling of a vaccine.
I am getting tested this weekend and my mother’s blood sample is being tested for a variant. If not a variant, we can assume the positive is from her old case. Then I will try to get into the vaccine schedule earlier but there is an actual hold on it that may not be fixable.

Additionally, my mother had some sort of breathing episode the night before last, at the dinner table. She had just called me and was fine. Maybe she choked? The facility called hospice and the hospice nurse called me and said that my mother was “transitioning.” Meaning dying. The nurse gave her Dilaudid, Ativan and then she had Lunesta and Gabapentin right after. The next day she had severe word-retrieval issues and called me saying she 'wanted to go home." Those meds had obvious effects cognitively. And they want to put her on Ativan twice a day! And she is alive and kicking, not transitioning. I cried all night thinking she was dying and because of the exposure I could not be there.

I talked with the case manager who told me I needed to trust them. I said that was hard when they had an unvaccinated aide in there and they had told me my mother was dying when she wasn’t, and that when I was able to be there during her last hospice I always gave her the lowest effective dose of ONE med.

I requested a test to see if breathlessness is again from anemia, which they previously misdiagnoses as anxiety. She required TWO transfusions and the gasping for breath stopped. If her anemia hasn’t gotten worse, that means she is not bleeding and I am taking her off hospice.

I am now afraid an assisted living aide will also test positive. I cannot go in there! And if my mother cannot make it out, I cannot see her. I understand staffing shortages and low pay and difficulty finding staff, but honestly, it’s crazy to be afraid to go in to see my mother. I have looked at apartments for us but it is so daunting: no availability right now in my area, and I am frail myself!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear all this. My father who lives in an assisted living facility kept on retesting positive after he had the virus for like 6-9 months after. They kept on quarantining him for 14 days at a shot, not allowing him to have his usual aide or physical therapist. Nothing I could do they were following the rules of the state health department. It is unlikely that your mother has COVID again, she probably is still shedding virus even after the vaccine and the shots (this is what they said for my father).
My father has had several breathing issues over this year since he was sick. I think they are still from having had COVID, so your mother could also have lingering effects from having been sick.
My father hasn’t seen any relative since Christmas 2019, it is very sad. Hopefully two weeks after my second shot I will be able to see him. The visiting rules change constantly.

3 Likes

Yes lung CT shows some damage, and heart maybe too. But she is not dying. And with blood transfusion, her gasping for air stopped completely.

Good luck with your Dad!

3 Likes

Thank you; tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my second vaccine, so I’ll be heading north soon. I’ve spent the week cleaning out closets and the back rooms, so they have room to set up a bedroom and small living room, even if it’s only plywood floors as the moment.
I hope your mom finds some answers and comfort soon, and you can get the vaccine!!

3 Likes

@compmom That is so hard to get through! And frustrating! Perhaps try contacting your county health for elder assistance in getting the shot? Some counties actually stepped up for their seniors.

@Tigerwife92. Glad you got the vaccine. We got our second one just a week before we moved and it meant the world to my level of comfort when there were 6 movers going in and out of the house. Most activity I’d seen in a year.

1 Like

MGH took pity on me and found me an appointment this week. My PCP cleared the lock on my scheduling after I researched how to do it.

We got a letter from the AL director yesterday that 8 residents went out for Easter and so far one is positive and they are testing further for variant. In a local town, a facility that had only 3 cases in the last year now has 6. One resident tested positive for the Brazilian variant and they tested everyone else, and found 5 more. Hoping all these cases are mild. So far only one is sick.

I have had a chance to talk to other residents at my mother’s Al and found out that she is being socially shunned due to her dementia. I think that is why she wants to stay in her room.

4 Likes

@compmom, sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Two years ago, my mother moved from NJ to a senior facility near my younger sister in TN. We had suggested almost 20 years ago that she move near them because a) she has a great relationship with my S; b) her husband is a leading surgeon in the area and sort of demanding/grumpy so she would get very attentive help if she needed to be hospitalized; and c) my younger sister had all three of her kids at home. Of course, she moved 18 years later (for good reasons – she was pretty enmeshed in her community and pretty functional until age 94 or 95) and only one kid remains at home. She was still completely cogent until I’d say 96 (she is very bright – she had a PhD in an era when that was relatively and had a life that was in some ways distinguished). She is in independent living – a nice apartment and prior to COVID, she got meals in dining rooms and had gym classes and other groups/classes. With COVID, she was effectively locked in her apartment for a year with meals brought to her. We saw significant cognitive decline, maybe from the isolation. She has complained daily (uggh) but complained the year before about the facility (which appears to be terrific and caring and did a terrific job of keeping people alive).

Now she’s really declining. Issues with her heart that, my BIL says, would be dealt with with a pacemaker or other interventions that they won’t do for a 96 yo. So, she is always tired and out-of-breath. I’m now cleared to travel (a few weeks past-vax) and am going to visit this weekend. I was going to wait three weeks to her 97th birthday, but I think there is a risk that she won’t make it that far.

@Shawbridge sympathies. I was just reading a book entitled “Dementia Re-Imagined” that mentioned the issue of pacemakers in the very elderly.

I will say that my mother has had continuous atrial fibrillation, valve issues, and enlarged heart for a very long time. I cannot remember a time when she could walk across the room without breathing issues. I don’t know your mother’s particular situation but we though our mother would not last long and she has lasted probably a decade longer than we thought!

Have a good visit. Leaving becomes hard when you never know if the visit is the last. But I hope you can enjoy it. Your mother sounds wonderful.

I read a about a study not long ago about insertion of pacemakers in the very elderly. Conclusion was there was no reason to avoid the procedure because of age.

1 Like

My mother had dementia and was borderline for getting a pacemaker, but she didn’t want her body to continue when her mind wasn’t there. She died a very peaceful death and had a glowing smile on her face at death.

There are medications that are very helpful with various heart conditions that most likely are helping with these issues with the very elderly.

Peace be with your mother and your family during this time @shawbridge

1 Like

@gouf78 I believe the issue is the ethics & bureaucracy faced if you reach a point, usually with dementia, where you want to stop all life-prolonging treatments. I would imagine it’s better now, but 20 years ago, I had a friend with a Dad who had Alzheimer’s and was in his late 90s, it was a struggle to get permission to deactivate the pacemaker.

From what I read, it is easier to refuse the pacemaker in the first place, than to deactivate one already in, in terms of doctors and medical ethics.

1 Like