Parents of students 3.5-3.8 gpa?

I have a 2023 kid who falls into this category. She thinks she wants a mid-sized school (5000-15,000) in warm weather, but doesn’t want to go all the way to the west coast (we are in New England). There are surprisingly few choices! Following along for ideas.

How about DC schools? GT would be out of reach, but what about GW or American or Catholic or George Mason? Mary Baldwin in VA?

1 Like

Budget?

ETA:

Some southern schools in the 5-10k undergrad range that might be possibilities include:
• Belmont (TN)
• College of Charleston (SC)
• Elon (NC)
• Emory (GA)
• Georgia College & State U.
• Southern Methodist (TX)
• Texas Christian
• U. of Tampa (FL)
• Tulane (LA)
• Vanderbilt (TN)
• Wake Forest (NC)
• William & Mary (VA)

1 Like

Not to start a debate but:1. Vandy and Emory are super reaches for all,Tulane and Wake Forest and William and Mary are also quite reachy; 2. Many NewEngland families wouldn’t consider sending a kid, particularly a girl, to most the states you mention due to denial of health care (including threats to a parent’s ability to take the kid out of state for health care) and other misogynistic and homophobic laws in the state (even where the school itself is liberal and/or in a liberal city in a red state). People of course have wildly different views on this and the poster did ask for warm weather, so who knows, perhaps it isn’t a concern for them.

9 Likes

There are a few choices for that range.My D22 ended up with 3.7 I believe, but I hung out on the 3.0-3.5 group the most because she was not really about challenging herself. She applied to 5 schools and got in all of them. Two women’s colleges, Hollins and Agnes Scott. And then 3 schools in our state, NC, UNC-Asheville (about 3500), UNC-Greensboro (about 15000 undergrads) and Warren-Wilson (tiny, under 1000).

What kind of school or vibe is she looking for? Looking to go Greek or is she more artsy and activist? Does she want a lot of school spirit or is she a free spirit? Have any idea what she wants to study?

Here are some others to look at in addition to AustenNut’s list:
UNC-Wilmington (14,488 undergrads)
Coastal Carolina (around 9500 undergrads)
Western Carolina (around 10000 undergrads)
Campbell (around 5000 undergrads)
SCAD (arts, around 15,000 undergrads, multiple campuses)

1 Like

My daughter is wanting something similar as well, but we’re on the west coast and she wants to leave! She has a 3.6UW with decent ECs but nothing outrageous. Some of the schools she’s applying to may work for your daughter, not sure if she’s up for Texas?

Elon
High Point
Baylor
SMU
TCU

The mid-size school is harder to find than it should be!

James Madison University (VA, a little bit larger than your daughter’s range but maybe worth checking out)
Elon (NC, already mentioned but really fits what your daughter is seeking - we just visited and my daughter really liked it)
American (DC, nice suburban campus with very close proximity to DC))
George Washington (DC, very urban campus, but walking distance to the mall)
Wake Forest (NC, ticks a lot of boxes, but likely to be a reach)
Belmont (TN, very music focused school)
Loyola University New Orleans (LA, a bit smaller at 3200 enrollment, but if New Orleans was a draw could be worth considering as it would be mush easier admittance than Tulane)

3 Likes

U Del is another idea- many kids love it and are really successful.

1 Like

St. Mary’s College of Maryland might be worth looking at; it is a non-religious, co-ed, public liberal arts college, albeit small.

6 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions, lots of options for her to look into!

We will be a full pay family, so some merit would definitely be nice. D is a good student- works hard, never misses an assignment, but definitely struggles a bit with test anxiety. All honors classes, but only 3 APs (they are limited at her large, competitive public high school, and only open to juniors and seniors). 3.6UW, 4.3(ish)W.
Likely applying as a Psych major, but that could change. She is a pretty mainstream kid and wants some school spirit. She is a varsity athlete/Captain (will not play in college), open to the possibility of greek life, but is quite outspoken (and outraged) about various social issues (Texas is off the table). Lots of volunteer work and has a part time job.

She visited and liked Elon. Also liked American (though feels it might be too Urban), College of Charleston, and Loyola Marymount. She did not love the “vibe” at Wake Forest or Richmond (she thought they both felt a little to formal/buttoned up), but liked both physical campuses.

She has W&M on the list, but may be taking it off because it is such a reach for her. We have not had a chance to visit.

We are visiting U Del and a few LACs in PA next week, so we will see what she thinks of those!

5 Likes

It sounds like our D23s are very similar. Right down to the full pay, GPA, test anxiety, 3 APs and what they are looking for in a college (warm weather, school spirit, greek life, social issues). We are also in New England. My D liked CoC, but did not like UDel. She loved the Wake campus when we visited a few years ago, but it was 2020 so no student vibe to pick up on. I will be looking forward to following your D’s search!

3 Likes

My son (S22) ended up with a 3.7 and will be attending Christopher Newport next month. CNU was the right size for him at 5,000 students. He loves the campus and so far he likes the school spirit. (He attended the first part of orientation at the end of June.)

3 Likes

My daughter just graduated, she had higher stats (9 AP’s, one B, 34 ACT), she absolutely loved UD and was accepted into every graduate program she applied to. Villanova was her first choice, but too much $ with no merit, she told us freshman year she was glad we couldn’t afford it.

5 Likes

My daughter had a 3.6 and is going to Elon this year. They have small merit awards and special programs with money that you can apply for. She got presidential merit but had mentally crossed it off her list (it was mom’s pick), so didn’t apply for any of the scholars or fellows programs. After getting waitlisted at American and Syracuse, and having second thoughts about her acceptances, she took another look at Elon and decided to attend.
It seems like the merit went to kids in her range and not those with higher stats. Not sure how they decide or what they were looking for. She showed a lot of online interest and had good essays/supplements.

8 Likes

My daughter’s friend is going to Elon and I think she got one of those presidential merit awards. She did not get into UNC. Got into NCSU but no merit. I think they like students that show interest and are willing to commit. Good school. Congrats!

4 Likes

Parent of a rising sophomore at Elon. We all love it! Our son is thriving there and is so happy. Happy kid = happy parents! :blush:

11 Likes

Speaking to the choir now, but happy to see this thread. Like others here, S23 is a bright student (35 ACT as a freshman) whose interest in school ranges from medium to marginal, depending on the subject. Around a 3.6 core UW GPA, with a rigorous schedule – he’ll graduate with 10 APs and 7 post-AP Math and CS courses. Based on his PSATs, he’s pretty much guaranteed to be a National Merit Semifinalist…but due to a C first semester in APUSH, quite possibly not a National Merit Finalist.

He’s in the unfortunate position of wanting to major in CS when the CS admissions are incredibly competitive even for the 4.0 students. We’ve spent a lot of time working with him on a college list he’s happy with, that has some schools he’s almost certain to get into CS in, and is hopefully affordable:

ACCEPTED CS (rolling): Iowa State, Nebraska (aiming for Raikes, which is a reach)

REACHES: UIUC (in-state, high reach), Purdue, Maryland, UMass

TARGETS: RPI, Rutgers, Stony Brook, Utah (direct admit to CS; pre-CS is likely)

LIKELIES/SAFETIES: Texas-Dallas, UCF (both nearly free if NMF), Washington State (free tuition for NMSFs), Arizona State, Missouri S&T, Michigan State

That’s 16 schools, which is a heck of a lot…but with his GPA/ACT disparity, and with his National Merit Finalist status up in the air until January, it is what it is. (If we had UT-Dallas/UCF sewn up as nearly free, we could probably cut the list to high single digits.)

6 Likes

Turns out right thread.

16 isn’t too many but you can cull if Iowa State or UNL will be more palatable than say UCF Or Stony Brook. Don’t forget many will be easy apps with no extra or shared additional essays. So 16 in and of itself is no biggy other than $$.

Or you can take more flyers. A UVA. a Tufts. Bcuz the safeties work. So cull the list but add some heavies. Or others at a higher level nationally than the remaining list. Wisconsin, Va Tech, School of Mines, CWRU, ….similar to the UMD and UMASS.

If NMF matters as it does by your school selection, how can you forget Bama which has the most in the country bcuz they pay the king’s ransom. See link.

In CS, if the job market is solid, where you go outside a select few schools won’t matter.

But it is four years. Find the right place to live. A Missouri Science & Tech and RPI…fine schools but vastly different than most your list.

Good luck to your son.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/nationalscholars/

3 Likes

If looking for good deals for National Merit Semi-Finalists, then other contenders include:

U. of Maine: A full ride (source)

*Semi-finalists with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation are eligible for the highest awards in this category, including: 100% Tuition and fees, up to 15 credits per semester, & standard room and board.

U. of Louisville: National Merit Semi-Finalists with at least a 3.5 GPA qualify for $28k (i.e. full tuition) leaving about $11-12k for room & board. (Source)

Washington State: Semi-finalists who list the school as their #1 choice get full tuition. (source)

Mississippi State: Full tuition for semi-finalists (source)

4 Likes

know a kid who did the raikes program at UNL. It’s great program; impressive!