Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Nope, definitely no holes in the wall, but my mom and I came up with plenty of creative solutions while my sister was moving in - I’m not particularly worried about that issue.</p>

<p>^ I occasionally travel with a suction cup drying line. Try magellans dot com or amazon.</p>

<p>Lafalum - your D reacted much the way my kids did the first time they saw me open a bottle of wine. They both asked me if I was going to get drunk, and S wanted to know if I was going to get crazy. :smiley: I was just planning to have one glass, so I reassured them -but they kept giving me suspicious looks, imagining all sorts of wild things I might do. That was several years ago, and since then, they’ve grown more comfortable with the idea that mom might enjoy a glass of wine once in awhile. I also enjoy cocktails, though I don’t drink them at home.</p>

<p>Haven’t given much thought to the fridge or microwave. I know D will want a refrig., and I’m sure she’d like a microwave as well. Just not sure what’s allowed. And she won’t knoow her housing set-up until the very end of the month, so I’ll let her decide when the time comes. </p>

<p>Applicannot - I knew you were a girl too. :slight_smile: You too, RobD, though perhaps not in the early days. Applicannot, did you say that you have a small hammer that you use for scrapbooking? What exactly do you do with the hammer?</p>

<p>mdemvizi- they are probably missing the tax return because you didn’t file one. My S didn’t have one either, so he had to submit a verification worksheet- verifying he was indeed unemployed. The loan verification might be incomplete if it was not signed electronically with your pin. You can tell that I have done this a few times before!</p>

<p>Wow…proud of my daughter! She came up with the drying rack on her own and it sounds like a good idea! She spent the last two days down at Richmond touring “her” campus again. She met with a prof yesterday that teaches Swahili and is hoping she can get in that class as she does a lot of work with some people from Tanzania. </p>

<p>Anyone for some Pinochle and wine? Lafalum - if you need to practice your social drinking come on over!</p>

<p>sewemma - I sent the verification form and I have electronically signed with my pin. I am e-mailed the FA office but I probably won’t get a reply until Monday. My mom is just made because she really wants to know the final tuition bill and I can’t tell her that since all of this stuff supposedly isn’t complete.</p>

<p>mdemvizi- maybe it has not made it to them electronically yet. My S2 got a revised FAFSA today! What??? With a higher family contribution. I have no idea why. My income sure has not gone up!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s a little old-fashioned. Do you know what an eyelet is? An eyelet is a metal or plastic “brad” type embellishment that has a circle in the middle. In order to attach it to a page it must be “set.” An eyelet can be set with an eyelet setter (a small metal post with a flower like indent at the end) and a hammer OR one of the newer, easier tools (like a Crop-a-dile).</p>

<p>I blame DARE. Ever since S2 won some award in 5th grade for the “top” score in Drug and Alcohol Resistance Education (hopefully that’s what it stood for) we’ve been overly conscious of our adult drinking behavior. Well, at least overly guilty; not that it stopped us from drinking in front of the kids. S2 is amusedly tolerant of his parents’ imbibing. S1 has embraced it with all appropriate fraternity brother fervor.</p>

<p>I can’t wait to mix up those Beer Margaritas. When’s the next holiday?</p>

<p>Did someone say Long Island Iced Tea? Man, how I loved those things!</p>

<p>Made it to Dallas. Poor ds now has to answer all the college questions with the other side of the family.</p>

<p>Yankees fans: I can’t believe we got something y’all wanted! Cliff Lee. Woot!</p>

<p>Thanks for the explanation, applicannot. I get it now. I just couldn’t imagine what needed to be hammered onto a piece of paper. ;)</p>

<p>archiemom - I think my kids were a little scared when they saw me drinking because of the drug/alcohol awareness programs in their elementary school. They’ve gotten over it. :smiley: </p>

<p>mdemvizi - good luck with getting your FA/tuition bill straightened out.</p>

<p>I dislike DARE. It’s been repeatedly found to be ineffective and it’s a huge waste of school time. Moreover, it breeds cynicism among high school kids who subsequently understand that they were targets of a simplistic propaganda program.</p>

<p>Plus, I really hated it when my fifth-grader drew a picture of “NO” circle with diagonal line over a wine glass for her DARE project. :D</p>

<p>lol payfor and archiemom!! I’m with you on DARE (but the cigarette side not the wine side). </p>

<p>when younger, oldest son took my cigarettes and glued them to his poster but worse was when my two younger ones were at a boy scout event, the DARE officer was there giving a “lecture” presentation…at the end he asked if any of the children knew anyone that “did drugs”… Both my kids shot up their hands, bouncing up and down,so excited to be able to answer… yelling “my mom does!!!”</p>

<p>coffee is ready!!</p>

<p>good luck with FA mdem!</p>

<p>was checking out textbooks yesterday…some professors havent listed their books yet (about 3 classes) but subtotal is already over 700!) asked son if he wants used or new…that was a mistake as of course he said new.</p>

<p>We didn’t have DARE at S’s day school, we actually had the fundraising gala in the gym every year with a martini bar in addition to the regular bars. Every grade had a parents cocktail party hosted by the class moms every year! DARE just would have confused the children…</p>

<p>parent56, S has always wanted new books then last year his girlfriend gave him her old textbooks for 3 of his classes. We told him he had to buy his own books for college and now used look good.</p>

<p>acm, i’m going to talk to him again, he probably wont back down on the chem books but maybe some of the others. He says he plans to keep them all so i cant even count on him selling them back. probably got the book thing from me…i cant deface a book or throw it away…even when i donate them i feel like i am giving away something very important to me. (i still have all my hs and college books LOL) I have piles of books, that i have to donate right now in my house as i read about 2 books per week. (just gave son’s hs about 6 boxes)</p>

<p>Morning all! The coffee is great parent56! Thanks! I’m on my way out to get bagels for all!</p>

<p>No textbooks here yet. D still has to register for classes. My S has always bought new textbooks and I know D will do the same. I’ve always marveled at what my son’s school says books should cost for the year…way underestimated.</p>

<p>mdemvizi: Hope all works out with the FA.</p>

<p>Wishing all a good day and extra relaxation and fun for those on vacation.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Yes! D and I are going into NYC today to see a show (“American Idiot,” based on the Green Day album of the same name).</p>

<p>WOOHOO psychmom! It’s supposed to be an awesome show! Enjoy with your wonderful D! :)</p>